Do Teams Have to follow the Draft Value Chart? (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I keep reading about how teams in the draft's top five, like Miami, want to trade down in the draft because it costs so much and can cripple teams financially by having to pay so much for one player. Jerry Jones was recently quoted saying so here (Why Jerry Jones Wont Draft Darren McFadden - The Fifth Down - Sports - Pro Football - New York Times Blog).

My question is, is the Draft Value Chart a guideline the NFL uses to decide whether to approve a draft-day trade? Would the Dolphins be able to sweeten an offer to a team in order to get a trade done, or are they bound by the Value Chart and really have no negotiating power?

This is from googling it and clicking on one of the responses...

NFL Draft Value Chart

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The chart is just a guide. If a team likes a certain player they might be willing to give up more value points worth of picks in order to get their man."

:11:

(Sorry, have always wanted to use that graphic. Finally did it.) :) :)
[/FONT]

This is from googling it and clicking on one of the responses...

NFL Draft Value Chart

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The chart is just a guide. If a team likes a certain player they might be willing to give up more value points worth of picks in order to get their man."

:11:

(Sorry, have always wanted to use that graphic. Finally did it.) :) :)
[/FONT]

Thanks. The reason I ask is, I'm sure that a team like the Dolphins, if desperate enough, would take about anything to get out of the top spot. But certainly the NFL wouldn't give them that freedom, right? The league must have a rule in place for this.

I realized Ditka gave up way more than the value chart stated for Ricky Williams, but there must be a rule in place keeping teams from giving away their pick for next to nothing.

Thanks. The reason I ask is, I'm sure that a team like the Dolphins, if desperate enough, would take about anything to get out of the top spot. But certainly the NFL wouldn't give them that freedom, right? The league must have a rule in place for this.

Nope, NO official rules for anything when it comes to trades. Any team can make any trade they want. Don't forget, we traded an entire YEARS worth (7 of them) of picks for the first pick to get Ricky Williams. So there are NO rules. A GM can do anything they want.

Nope, NO official rules for anything when it comes to trades. Any team can make any trade they want. Don't forget, we traded an entire YEARS worth (7 of them) of picks for the first pick to get Ricky Williams. So there are NO rules. A GM can do anything they want.

So why can't the Dolphins trade down with some team at say #6 for a seventh-round pick, because their fans would boycott their games?

Who said they can't?

Well, something is stopping teams from doing it because I've never seen it happen and I know there have been tons of teams desperate to get out of the top five spots.

My question is, is the Draft Value Chart a guideline the NFL uses to decide whether to approve a draft-day trade? Would the Dolphins be able to sweeten an offer to a team in order to get a trade done, or are they bound by the Value Chart and really have no negotiating power?

It's simply a starting point for negotiations. A team desperate to trade down will take less and a team who really wants a Player will offer more than what's on the chart. Additionally, the chart doesn't take into account the value of draft day trades.

Well, something is stopping teams from doing it because I've never seen it happen and I know there have been tons of teams desperate to get out of the top five spots.

Because that's stupid and you get a worse player.

The cost of the first round pick is causing teams to start considering the #1 pick to be a curse rather than a blessing. Unless they go to an NBA style system of defined pay for defined picks, the first 5 picks will continue to be too expensive for unproven players.

it also depends on the draft class I think... This year you have a solid few by tapers off... And maybe there is nobody in the top 5 that teams feel is a sure fire hit.... Maybe jake long

It's like trading a used car. There are sources that will tell you how much it's worth, but in the end, it's worth what someone will give you for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom