Do the Saints have the best trio of Safeties? Do the Saints have the best DB Unit? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Listening to Locked on NFL, and they are going through the Safety rankings, and the Saints have 3 safeties listed in the top 24.

(24) Jenkins- They think he is on the tail end of his career
(14) CGJ - They think he will he a top 10 safety next year
(9) Marcus Williams - He is being attacked for one bad play, but he is going to get paid next offseason because he is a great safety.

Knowing people think so highly of our safety’s our cornerbacks aren’t too far off either. Given that CGJ and Jenkins are versatile enough to play the slot, and Lattimore and Jenkins Are a top 5 cb duo, could it be that we have the best DB unit in the NFL?

Listening to Locked on NFL, and they are going through the Safety rankings, and the Saints have 3 safeties listed in the top 24.

(24) Jenkins- They think he is on the tail end of his career
(14) CGJ - They think he will he a top 10 safety next year
(9) Marcus Williams - He is being attacked for one bad play, but he is going to get paid next offseason because he is a great safety.

Knowing people think so highly of our safety’s our cornerbacks aren’t too far off either. Given that CGJ and Jenkins are versatile enough to play the slot, and Lattimore and Jenkins Are a top 5 cb duo, could it be that we have the best DB unit in the NFL?

on paper it looks great. idk if the best, but its one of the best and there's a long time passing since we Who Dats could say that. Good Post El! Thx

I think Marcus is a much better safety than he is given credit for on the board. He had a great rookie year and then one play happens and it was all for nought. It happens but he’s worked to get better every year. I think some of these people forgot how bad it was with josh bullocks and Kevin kaesviharn back there at safety.

It’s not just one play for Marcus Williams

Marcus is a good safety, but he has a propensity to stare at the turf and throw the back of his shoulder at the ball carrier when he tackles. That’s why he whiffs. Tackling is one of the first things a defender is taught in peewee football, and somehow it’s lost at the professional level. Other than that, he’s really good. He’s got great range, good hands, good play recognition, and good speed. He just needs to attend a tackling seminar.

Last edited:
The Saints passing defense ranked #20th last year.

On paper they should be much better than that, but that's about where they've finished the last two seasons. If the season goes on as normal that's about where I expect them to finish again.

The Saints passing defense ranked #20th last year.

On paper they should be much better than that, but that's about where they've finished the last two seasons. If the season goes on as normal that's about where I expect them to finish again.
I think a lot of that has to do with opposing teams needing to keep up with us offensively. We’re good at putting up points, so other teams have to be good at putting up points as well. That’s why our run defense was top 2 in the league and our passing defense is 20th

Marcus Williams is a liability.

That pretty much ends this discussion.

I kind of agree. Where was Marcus Williams on that deep pass to Thielen in OT? He was trailing the WR. I thought being the FS we would probably be the one to help cover the deep pass, but he was way out of position if so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom