Do We Need An Immediate Upgrade at LB? (1 Viewer)

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
My reason for asking is because I don't really see many good LBs that will hit free agency, and it's a very shallow position in the 2017 draft. I know we still want to hold off on calling Anthony a bust, and we'll cross our fingers on Ellerbe's health, but it seems like a clear concern going into next season.

Basically what I'm getting at is that though there might be upgrades at DE, CB, and OG in FA and it later rounds of the draft, LB might be the most logical grab at pick 11. Obviously I really want a great DE, but if adding another LB to compete immediately is a must, we may have to take one in round 1.

we need to draft a few and get good coaches, DE, LB, OG, TE, CB are thh needs in order

My reason for asking is because I don't really see many good LBs that will hit free agency, and it's a very shallow position in the 2017 draft. I know we still want to hold off on calling Anthony a bust, and we'll cross our fingers on Ellerbe's health, but it seems like a clear concern going into next season.

Basically what I'm getting at is that though there might be upgrades at DE, CB, and OG in FA and it later rounds of the draft, LB might be the most logical grab at pick 11. Obviously I really want a great DE, but if adding another LB to compete immediately is a must, we may have to take one in round 1.

The problem with this is that the quality of DE you can get in the 1st vs the 2nd is a relatively large difference, while the difference in a 1st and 2nd round LB is much smaller.

finally someone who don't want to draft a RB or WR

We've had more luck bringing in guys like Robertson, Fujita, Shanle, etc than drafting them. Maybe we should continue this approach.

Our most important needs are Pass Rusher, CB and OG. I don't care how we address it, we absolutely have to cover these areas.

I like our 3 safety two LB look, it adds speed and lets KV do what he does best. I'd like to add a safety in the draft if possible though. I really want to be in a situation to draft BPA come the draft.

A lot of quality players and I'd hate to miss out because of need.

There are a couple potential LBs who may hit FA. Same with edge rusher and corner. Might also look to trade. Remember, we got Vilma due to a defensive philosophy switch he wasn't great at.

I was on the draft a LB in the first train, but we have a real need at corner at pass rusher. Look at Atlanta. Shifty RB, who can catch. And 2-3 good/great receivers. Good QB.

That means we need better coverage and guys who can disrupt the QB.

If Anthony can be coached up on his coverage, then great. Otherwise, we will see a lot of Vaccaro playing hybrid LB/S near the line... which is perfectly fine.

Linebacker is definitely a need.

Robertson is the only reliable NFL caliber starter on the team.

Ellerbe? His injuries have become a running joke here. He's played in 15 out of 32 games in his Saints career. Has the defense been better when he's healthy? Yes. Can the Saints afford to gamble on him being healthy for an entire regular season and the playoffs? No.

Stupar? Six teams in five seasons. He's a career special teams player. That's not a bad thing because every team needs quality Special Teams players, but he's never been a guy that teams wanted playing a lot of defensive snaps.

Mauti? Too early to tell, but he's unproven and while he's made some great Special Teams play, in my opinion what I have seen from him at LB is underwhelming. I think he will benefit a lot from a new LB coach.

Anthony? The hot topic of the linebackers. Some argue bust, some argue not a bust yet... either way, the outlook is not good right now.

Regardless of 3-4, 4-3, 4-2, or whatever base we run, we need more than one quality linebacker. Whether it is the draft or free agency, I expect the Saints to make some moves to try to solidify the position with at least one reliable running mate for Robertson.

After Pete saw our 1st two games of the year he commented, "Saints outside LBs are very slow and cannot set the corner. They lack lateral speed." I posted that about 3 months ago. I think he is correct on this one.

All the more reason to continue to play three safeties and two linebackers.

No, No please, not another year of the slow death defense. We need to trade for a Lber that can cover the middle of the field if one isn't available in FA. I don't have any faith in us drafting and grooming one unless maybe Mike Singletary or Ray Lewis sign on as our line backer coach. We need to somehow make a huge move towards having three solid, healthy Linebackers. Another year of watching our lost three safety secondary is going to put me in the nuthouse ! haha.

finally someone who don't want to draft a RB or WR
Running back, sure. And I'm more than certain we'll take a player like Christian McCaffery, Jeremy McNichols, etc. Guys who catch really well to replace Cadet, who has done well, but he's not irreplacable.

And I happen to think Leonard Fournette would be a pure BPA if he made it to #11.

But who is talking at all about WR? I'm usually that guy year in and year out, but we finally guy the kinda WR I've always wanted us to have.

After Pete saw our 1st two games of the year he commented, "Saints outside LBs are very slow and cannot set the corner. They lack lateral speed." I posted that about 3 months ago. I think he is correct on this one.

I've been preaching about our lack of team speed as a whole for a while now. It has to be addressed.

I'd like us to sign a quality DE and CB in free agency and draft lb in either the first or second round.

I would hope we build thru the draft or UDFA then signing high price free agents that only play for money and a short time here. We still need to build thru the draft and find a few gems there.

FA options:
ILB - Zach Brown (Stud) 94 solo tackles and 4 sacks from in inside backer position in 2016. Bill signed him to a modest one year deal last season and he blew up. With the coaching uncertainty in Buffalo I'm sure he'll be looking for a new home this offseason. He's 27 so he's still in his prime.

DE - Nick Perry - Has had some injury history but he's young and starting to make an impact. At 26 he's in his prime and if he remains healthy he could be a solid pass rush option opposite Cam Jordan. Downside is that based on his performance he likely will command some $$. However, GB has a lot of FA's to lock down so Perry should be there at the right price.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom