Do We Need An Immediate Upgrade at LB? (1 Viewer)

No, No please, not another year of the slow death defense. We need to trade for a Lber that can cover the middle of the fielrated if one isn't available in FA. I don't have any faith in us drafting and grooming one unless maybe Mike Singletary or Ray Lewis sign on as our line backer coach. We need to somehow make a huge move towards having three solid, healthy Linebackers. Another year of watching our lost three safety secondary is going to put me in the nuthouse ! haha.

Lol. Despite what I said in my post, I believe that the three safety set was mainly an attempt to get the best 11 on the field, and a rather desperate attempt at that. There weren't enough quality LBs on the team. By the way, let's not forget that Mauti has some serious health issues that resulted in weight loss.

Name the last linebacker to play for the Saints that was an ABOVE average NFL Starting linebacker? Scary how far back you have to go and then the next one back is even further.
Vilma is the last one I can name and can't remember who before that fit the bill. Certainly no one on the current roster is an above average NFL starter at linebacker. We barely have one who is a legitimate starter.

Kris

Our best LB was cast away from the lowly Browns and brought in to provide depth. Robertson played well, but he's the type of guy a good defense would list 3rd when they were ranking their LBs.

Ellerbe, even if he didn't have an injury history as long as War & Peace, is still past his prime at 31 years old and is in decline. He cannot be counted on as a starter.

Anthony obviously can't be counted on for anything at this point and any positive outcome he gives has to be considered lagniappe.

None of the other LBs on the roster are even worth mentioning. STers that can be interchanged with others easily.

So I would say an emphatic YES. This team needs a speedy playmaking LB more than it needs a CB. We haven't had a difference maker on that level of the defense since Vilma and it's a glaring need.

I could not agree more. Linebacker has been the biggest weakness on this team for years.

Kris

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom