Do We Need An Immediate Upgrade at LB? (1 Viewer)

As previously stated, the only NFL caliber LB that the Saints have is Robertson, who wasn't even a starter in week 1. Every other LB on the roster has SERIOUS issues with some part of their game.

You can pencil in KV as a LB in the nickle and sub packages, but the fact remains, on 1st and second down, there are 2 LB's missing on this team, at best.

As previously stated, the only NFL caliber LB that the Saints have is Robertson, who wasn't even a starter in week 1. Every other LB on the roster has SERIOUS issues with some part of their game.

You can pencil in KV as a LB in the nickle and sub packages, but the fact remains, on 1st and second down, there are 2 LB's missing on this team, at best.

...And if Fournette lands in Carolina (which is very possible/likely) then a 3 safety set isn't going to cut it. Neither will a 3 LB set of 2 of the 3 are STers or constantly hurt.

The problem with this is that the quality of DE you can get in the 1st vs the 2nd is a relatively large difference, while the difference in a 1st and 2nd round LB is much smaller.

This. For a regular, non pass rushing LBer to get drafted around the top 10 that player has to be special. We're talking Patrick Willis, Luke Kuechly special. I don't know if Reuben Foster or Zach Cunningham are a great value at #11. Usually the sweet spot for value at LB is in the 2nd round.

Look at 2015 for example. We used a 1st rounder on Stephone Anthony. He was the 31st player drafted. Benardrick McKinney was drafted in the 2nd. He was the 43rd player taken. Eric Kendricks was also a 2nd rounder, 45th overall. Denzel Perryman went in the 2nd, 48th overall. The jury is still out on Anthony but the other three players are starters for their teams.

But to answer your question yes, we absolutely need help at LB. The case can be made that we only have one starting caliber LBer on the roster who we can depend on. Ellerbe is good when he's healthy but I don't how much you can factor him into future plans. We need some dudes. Preferably of the big and fast variety.

With all the nickel we run, and plus having vaccaro in the box because of vonn bell im fine with robertson, stupar, vaccaro and Anthony.

Now if we cut byrd and bell is moved to permanent free safety then yes we will need another lb.

Which is why i think there's a big chance jabrill peppers is a possibility.

With all the nickel we run, and plus having vaccaro in the box because of vonn bell im fine with robertson, stupar, vaccaro and Anthony.

Now if we cut byrd and bell is moved to permanent free safety then yes we will need another lb.

After reading your post Tru, somehow it made me think of the Dome Patrol. During those years our D-line and DBs were quality, but not outstanding. The LBs were the best to ever play the game and they dominated defenses. Blitz = Yes and devastating. Cover = Yes. Defend the Run = lethal often getting to the backs before they reached the LOS. The Steelers success formula over the decades are is around their LBs.

Or draft hooker to replace Byrd

Just give me a speed rusher, that is the most pressing need for our team. I think with better coaching behind Allen every other position will be better.

If we can get a good LB coach, they need to hammer on Anthony this offseason and get him right as the MLB. Have Ellerbe as WLB and Robertson as SLB (can fill in for WLB when Ellerbe is hurt). Then on passing downs take Anthony off the field and leave Ellerbe and Robertson. Stupar has done well as a fill in. Draft a LB in 2nd or 3rd.

Pick up DE Addison in FA as our pass rusher and a good CB.

Running back, sure. And I'm more than certain we'll take a player like Christian McCaffery, Jeremy McNichols, etc. Guys who catch really well to replace Cadet, who has done well, but he's not irreplacable.

And I happen to think Leonard Fournette would be a pure BPA if he made it to #11.

But who is talking at all about WR? I'm usually that guy year in and year out, but we finally guy the kinda WR I've always wanted us to have.

I have replied to many threads that have WR's wishes. I agree that Cadet can be replaced, If Fournette is there at 11, can we afford to groom for 3-4 yrs like we did Ingram?. We see it all the time when stud RB's go to other teams and have an immediate impact, but it seldom happens here.

Zach Brown, Larry Warford and Mario Addison in FA. Potentially Rafael Bush as he should be affordable and provides good flexibility in the event a)Byrd doesn't restructure and b) one of the top S doesn't make it to us at 11 given how much we use the 3-safety look.

Draft: Hooker (or Adams) then trade back into first for one of the remaining DEs. Fill out the 3rd-6th with CB/OG/TE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our best LB was cast away from the lowly Browns and brought in to provide depth. Robertson played well, but he's the type of guy a good defense would list 3rd when they were ranking their LBs.

Ellerbe, even if he didn't have an injury history as long as War & Peace, is still past his prime at 31 years old and is in decline. He cannot be counted on as a starter.

Anthony obviously can't be counted on for anything at this point and any positive outcome he gives has to be considered lagniappe.

None of the other LBs on the roster are even worth mentioning. STers that can be interchanged with others easily.

So I would say an emphatic YES. This team needs a speedy playmaking LB more than it needs a CB. We haven't had a difference maker on that level of the defense since Vilma and it's a glaring need.

Thing I find interesting is we have some unproven players at important positions. Delvin Breaux and PJ Williams at cornerback....I know Breaux has shown flashes but he hasn't stayed healthy. Of course the same can be said for PJ Williams. At linebacker Stephone Anthony is an enigma. Can he be a productive outside linebacker? Will he be trade bait? Or will he just be brought back as a special teamer and Robertson's backup?
Vonn Bell had some growing pains in his rookie season but I feel he can build on that because he got some valuable experience. The one guy I definitely can't call unproven is Sheldon Rankins. He came in midseason and made an immediate impact.

Saints signed Adam Bighill. Dude is coming at you like a scud missle. Comes at u and will lay you down. Play a lot like Ray Lewis. Bighit Bighill is legit. Think Saints may have found one. Damn!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom