Do we package our later round picks(5, two 6s, and two 7s) to get into the 3rd round? (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In all honesty... We don't need those later round picks.

If 2017 draft taught us anything. It's imperative to draft in the top 100. Anything outside of it is cannon fooder. We do need a top flight contributer and Oline.

I like to make discussions on tough hypothetical situations. This seems a solid one on the apparent need at center and drafting another solid player that can contribute.

We have a lot of junk picks and we haven't kept a 5th round or higher in a long time.

George Kittle was a 5th, Brady was a 6th, and Colston and Strief were 7ths.

It's never a given to simply throw picks away.

Also for the needs of this team 5th through 7th round talent might just suffice. There are some pretty good press corners, linebackers, wrs and TE that will be available at those picks.

I actually have my eye on several.

Also for the needs of this team 5th through 7th round talent might just suffice. There are some pretty good press corners, linebackers, wrs and TE that will be available at those picks.

Wasn’t Kittle a backup TE in college? That was a huge find by the 49ers.

Wasn’t Kittle a backup TE in college? That was a huge find by the 49ers.
Yes.

Plenty of TEs his size run a 4.5 but none that I know of run a 4.76 3-cone at 250 like he did.

His success bodes well for guys like Foster Moreau that may have been misused or underutilized in college.

There's no way SP keeps all those picks. We'll trade up. I have no doubt. It's just a question of when. I'll be surprised if SP doesn't find a way to trade into the first or move up in the second.

I wasn't indicating trading all of the picks because I would like to keep our 5th. Those are the only noteworthy 6 and 7th round picks in history. So, I pretty find to passing on them. Superstars falling into the 6 and 7th are getting harder because scouting/college recruiting has improved leaps and bounds. So, it's no surprise you'll won't see another HOF QB fall to the 6th round again anytime soon.

Trying to compare different era picks is not a valid comparison. Kittle is a great comparison, tho.

I wasn't indicating trading all of the picks because I would like to keep our 5th. Those are the only noteworthy 6 and 7th round picks in history. So, I pretty find to passing on them. Superstars falling into the 6 and 7th are getting harder because scouting/college recruiting has improved leaps and bounds. So, it's no surprise you'll won't see another HOF QB fall to the 6th round again anytime soon.

Trying to compare different era picks is not a valid comparison. Kittle is a great comparison, tho.
I mean there are guys like

Jamal Custis WR
Donald Parham TE
Zack Gentry TR
Devine Ozigbo
Maxx Crosby DE/OLB (high potential DE)
Emanuel Butler WR
Jalen Hurd Wr
Sione Takitaki OLB
Germaine Pratt MLB
Wyatt Ray DE
Dereck Thomas CB
Ty Summers ILB/OLB
E.J. Ejiya LB (120+ tkls, 25 tfl, 9 sacks)
David Long cb (Similar to Jabari Greer)
Foster Moreau TE
Alize Mack TE

Who are all projected to be available at those selections

Whatever happened to not putting all of your eggs into one basket?

Last edited:
If anything we should package those picks to trade for a pick next year. On day 2 I'm sure we're going to blow some capital anyway. Might as well make the blow easier to manage.

According to the draft calculator... If you packaged all of our late round picks (all our picks except our 2nd rounder), the equivalent would be a late 3rd round pick. No team is going to trade a 3rd rounder for 5 crap picks. Yes you "can" find gems in those late rounds, but those are the exceptions.

Just to take it a step further, if we traded ALL our picks including the 2nd rounder... we would only be able to move up 6 picks higher in the 2nd round. That's not a likely scenario either.

The only way we move into this year's first round is to trade this year's 2nd, next year's 1st and 2nd, and likely the next year's 1st. That' 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks to move up into the very late 1st round. Not gonna happen.

I fully expect us to do just that. I'm hoping for Foster Moreau

Moreau is ranked 179 currently on CBS.

These are our picks

2---#62
5----#168
5---#177
6---#202
6---#231
7----#244

No need to trade up.

He shoud fall into our laps because he is largely unknown like Kittle was due to lack of college production. He is relatively unknown at this point.

In all honesty... We don't need those later round picks.

If 2017 draft taught us anything. It's imperative to draft in the top 100. Anything outside of it is cannon fooder. We do need a top flight contributer and Oline.

I like to make discussions on tough hypothetical situations. This seems a solid one on the apparent need at center and drafting another solid player that can contribute.

We have a lot of junk picks and we haven't kept a 5th round or higher in a long time.

Maybe. We'll see.

Antonio Brown was drafted in the 6th not all that long ago. There's no mathematical certainty to finding a stud higher up the rounds, not is there such a certainty that later round players can't be studs. Probability does that to you.

I mean there are guys like

Jamal Custis WR
Donald Parham TE
Zack Gentry TR
Devine Ogzigbo
Maxx Crosby DE/OLB (high potential DE)
Emanuel Butler WR
Jalen Hurd Wr
Blake Cashman OLB
Germaine Pratt MLB
Wyatt Ray DE
Dereck Thomas CB
Ty Summers ILB/OLB
E.J. Ejiya LB (120+ tkls, 25 tfl, 9 sacks)
David Long cb (Similar to Jabari Greer)
Foster Moreau TE
Alize Mack TE

Who are all projected to be available at those selections

Whatever happened to not putting all of your eggs into one basket?
Well... Only if it's a player Payton covets. He usually never strike out on trades.

Which is something is genuinely amazing about his tAlent evaluation at the draft. FA.... He's strike out a lot till 2015.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom