NFL Draft Do we / should we use 2020 draft capital to move up this year? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Do we / should we use 2020 draft capital to move up this year?

Two parter, do you think we will and do you think we should.. What are your thoughts?

Here's my line of thinking (which could be flawed).
We only have ___ amount of roster spots.

I would rather go after a guy in the 1st round that could potentially be a franchise altering talent that you lock up for 5 years than to sit and pick a few late round picks that more than likely will be playing on someone else's roster next season.

Then again, if Brees does in fact retire this season, you might want as many pics as possible for next year's draft.

Then you have to weigh the potential talent pool in next years draft vs this one and see how your need stack up.
For example, this season has a ton of d-line and o-line talent. Next season might not.

Last edited:
If the Saints see Will Grier as their franchise QB, I wouldn't mind using next years first round pick to get him. That would allow us to add another player for this years superbowl run at 62.

We got great value for the Draft picks we traded. There is no way we get an Eli Apple ready draft pick this year. Neither could we get a Bridgewater quality QB with a 3rd round pick.

We aren’t missing draft pics, we just used them in advance. I would consider trading Bridgewater for a high 2nd round if a team would bite on the offer and keep Brees two more years and Draft a QB next year.

I really don't see a reason to move up when the people who know better are saying that after the top ten, the draft is similar in talent up to the third round.

Patience is virtue. Someone will fall to us, in a position of need.

Just remember how many second contracts we will need to sign in the early future. We will not be able to sign all of our young players. Market value will make it impossible.

Instead of trading up, we should start considering on the players we will need to replace and have a plan to do so.

I believe we only have about 4-6 roster spots up for grabs. So it makes sense to me to bundle 3-4 picks this year to move up.

I think the Saints are likely to move up in the draft this year using a combination of picks from this year and next year. I would not be surprised to see the Saints get into the mid-Second Round using next year's First and maybe a late pick this year, or moving into the mid-Third Round using next year's Second and a late pick from this year. There are maybe 3-4 spots for drafted players this year. They may need to move up to get them. It will be very tough for a late round pick or UDFA to make the team this year, barring injury in training camp or pre-season to someone ahead of them.

This year, as last year, I agree with using future picks to get guys NOW. The Brees window is getting narrower.

I certainly hope not. And if they trade a future first-round pick to select Will Grier, I would advocate drug-testing of Payton and Loomis.

Look, the original post offers a general topic and invites discussion. Would I trade future picks for 2019 picks? It depends on why the trade was being made--and most important on the terms of the trade. But generally, I prefer not to trade future picks because teams always have to trade away future picks that are higher in round than the current picks they are trading for.

And I do disagree with the argument that we don't need many picks because we have so few roster spots available. First, injuries happen. What appears to be a strong position today could be a weak position in September. Second, the bottom third of this roster can stand improvement. Do we really have--assuming everybody stays healthy--quality depth in the offensive line and defensive line; at running back, tight end, wide receiver, and cornerback? For a team to stay competitive with the salary-cap, it needs an influx of young talent playing under cheap contracts every year.

Will we? We moved up for a punter.

Should we? Only if it bears fruit and the players acquired contribute.

If we move up we likely move peat.

I hope we break that cycle! Trading up may be good in the short term but it is always bad in the long term. We've got a good roster now but I want us to be good in 2 years, 5 years, etc.

I’m ok with moving up into rounds 2-4 but If we trade next yrs 1 I will be very upset. U just never know where u will draft. If Drew gets hurt we could win 6 gms and draft in the top 12. U just never know. We need a future qb. Hard to find without a 1

I don't see us taking a QB early. Brees, Bridgewater, and Hill are all locks to make this roster. Do you really think they are going to keep 4 QBs?

I don't think we move up from #62. I believe that'll be our first pick. I do however see us trading next year's 2nd or 3rd to move into the 3rd or 4th round.

And I'm totally fine with that. Trading future high round picks that should be players that are more likely to make your team and stay on your team goes bad after a while. You end up with few or no blue chip talent on your roster.

However, getting a LOT of blue chip players all in one year is not so great for the long run either in a way. They all come due for big 2nd contracts at the same time. Then fans end up having spent $150 on jerseys for players that used to play for us. :ROFLMAO::D:D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom