Question Do we think Sean Payton was holding us back? (1 Viewer)

Would we have signed these players if he was still the coach? Im seeing a lot of people on twitter sayin, he made have been holding us back.
The answer will be revealed if the Saints make a deep playoff run this year.

It went south before that...I don't think he ever fully recovered from his 2016(?) shoulder injury
PFF seemed to think otherwise in both 2017 and 2018.

(deep passes bottom of the article)

I'm not a slave to PFF rankings, by any means, but these studies seem reasonably objective and Brees is 2nd and 6th respectively.

I think we'll know the answer to this question if the Saints win the Super Bowl this year. But even if they do win, maybe they would have won by a lot more if Payton was the coach. I mean nobody knows, and all of lifes decision can go either way.

PFF seemed to think otherwise in both 2017 and 2018.

(deep passes bottom of the article)

I'm not a slave to PFF rankings, by any means, but these studies seem reasonably objective and Brees is 2nd and 6th respectively.
Brees looked mostly like his old self (respective to arm strength) until the last couple of months of the 2018 season. He was limited (arm strength) in the playoffs and for all of 2019. In 2020 he was even more limited. The broken ribs just made it all even worse.

It’s no disrespect to Brees to say this. He got a lot of miles out of his reconstructed shoulder, but the last couple of years his arm strength was very limited. It impacted the way Payton constructed the offense and chose offensive personnel.

The big positive is it finally led to the Saints building an elite defense.

Brees looked mostly like his old self (respective to arm strength) until the last couple of months of the 2018 season. He was limited (arm strength) in the playoffs and for all of 2019. In 2020 he was even more limited. The broken ribs just made it all even worse.

It’s no disrespect to Brees to say this. He got a lot of miles out of his reconstructed shoulder, but the last couple of years his arm strength was very limited. It impacted the way Payton constructed the offense and chose offensive personnel.

The big positive is it finally led to the Saints building an elite defense.
Yea, that's about right. I think along with building a great 1.) defense, 2.) drafting CG, Kamara, and 3.) taking O linemen in the first rd. Tells the story on Bres's arm, at least in Sean's mind.

Once An Accident, Twice A Coincidence, Three Times A Pattern​

Yea, that's about right. I think along with building a great 1.) defense, 2.) drafting CG, Kamara, and 3.) taking O linemen in the first rd. Tells the story on Bres's arm, at least in Sean's mind.

Once An Accident, Twice A Coincidence, Three Times A Pattern​

You think Brees's declining arm stregth explains why CSP would have drafted the best players he could get and maybe if Brees was throwing like Winston he would have drafted scrubs?

He always takes Olinemen, RBs and the best players he can get it's just that they don't always work out.

No. I believe that the constant bargain barrel and UDFA scavenging for offensive weapons along with the clear ref abuse held the Saints back. Once the defense got up to par the perennial Heart Attack on offense started to die quickly, lost Jimmy and Colston Devery, Lance ,Meachem cooks, all basically got replaced with MT and Kamara. The dynamics changed only 2 play makers vs 6 the previous years. I feel like Payton tried to hard to squeeze juice out of lemons and should have just went with guys like Eric Kendricks but we drafted Stephone Anthony I feel like MT and JGs contracts should have been taken care of before the chatter and I feel like letting Meachem walk instead of franchising Colston and resigning him was a bad move I'd have franchised Colston and paid him the next year we ended up blowing the bag on Byrd and his neck

You think Brees's declining arm stregth explains why CSP would have drafted the best players he could get and maybe if Brees was throwing like Winston he would have drafted scrubs?

He always takes Olinemen, RBs and the best players he can get it's just that they don't always work out.
This team has been built to win with Drew's declining arm strength for awhile now..........where have you been?

Disagree, most of the players are CSP’s…..

I repeat what this take misses, totally whiffs on, in context….he left the Saints in much, much better shape than he found them….as opposed to Mora, Haslett, and that idiot Ditka…..
It wouldn't have taken much to have improved on the 2005 team. TBH

This team has been built to win with Drew's declining arm strength for awhile now..........where have you been?
My beef was, even in the offensive salad days, the defense and the running game should have had the same priority. Maybe he just finally got lucky with coaching and drafting and signings. But the way the team was built around Brees and pass first was never going to win it all. It's not an every game philosophy for success. You need to be able to run the ball and play defense late in the year and against the best teams.

Shootout after shootout doesn't hold up.

A lot of peak Brees was squandered. Certainly entertaining. But squandered.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom