Question Do we think Sean Payton was holding us back? (1 Viewer)

Not at all! Now I wasn’t a fan of scripting plays at the beginning of games cause it started us off slow but he is/was a great coach!

I know it's fashionable to bring down every rich white male you can these days, but man... SP is one of us. He brought us out of Katrina, our first Superbowl victory, brought us Drew and Reggie and MI and AK. Forever memories. Fought the man himself in Goodell. Change how the country views Nola in sports. You need to read his book and remind yourself. I'll forever have his back.
White?

Maybe or maybe not. I do wonder if his way of doing things kept us from winning more SB but that is a conversation for another day.

Payton let the defense have so many top draft picks to get us where we are. Also, Dennis Allen became a top coordinator under Payton. Payton helped develop Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara and many others. It’s only without Drew Brees that you absolutely need more talent at wide receiver and it’s been one season without him.

Did Payton have his blind spots and perhaps stubbornness? Sure but to say he held us back is just inaccurate.

Saints had multiple playoff losses that can be attributed directly to not having talent at WR. It's the reason we all celebrated signing Sanders a year too late.

Payton is a Saints legend, but he's also responsible for the Saints going into several seasons with an almost bare cupboard at WR. It is what it is. He's responsible for the Saints lone SuperBowl and the issues that prevented the Saints from reaching another. Its not heresy to point that out. The man isn't a god. I can love him and point out his faults.

Last edited:
Payton was the reason the team was consistently winning. To think otherwise is an unwillingness to acknowlege the job he did as Saints Head Coach. And to his credit, he left the team in great shape for Allen. Its shocking how fast some think Payton was an issue.

If Payton decides to coach again, watch owners break the bank to gain his services. He’s extremely hot property.

He also had the Saints in a second SB before the refs gave it away to the Rams.

I'm scratching my head on this thread.

Yes, Payton and Loomis laid a few eggs in going for free agents. The worst (IMO) was Brandon Browner. :mad: :covri:

Even so, Sean Payton has led us to a franchise reputation that is known league-wide to be a WINNING program. I only imagine how much of a dynasty if we had a middle-of-the-pack defense for all those years we had Drew Brees.

We have a Lombardi trophy, and he (CSP) turned over a team (to the new coach) in the BEST shape of any team in Saints' history. Just think back on the state of the team when Bum Phillips, Mora, Ditka, Haslett... all the way back to Tom Fears in the 1960's- - - handed the keys over to the next coach.

A lot has happened since Sean Payton arrived in New Orleans (post-Katrina), and he stuck it out. Worst season he ever coached with the Saints was 1-game under .500. That's impressive!

So glad we have the pride rekindled in the WhoDat Nation, thanks to Sean Payton. He kept striving to improve the team, and Dennis Allen can carry the team to the next level.

:gosaints:

Last edited:
Payton was the reason the team was consistently winning. To think otherwise is an unwillingness to acknowlege the job he did as Saints Head Coach. And to his credit, he left the team in great shape for Allen. Its shocking how fast some think Payton was an issue.

If Payton decides to coach again, watch owners break the bank to gain his services. He’s extremely hot property.

He also had the Saints in a second SB before the refs gave it away to the Rams.
It's not that shocking. Bad faith takes are the life's blood of social media.

Except for last year, it's almost as if people are forgetting Payton was two plays from potentially going to the Super Bowl twice in recent years. Hell, depending if you include a certain TE's fumble ...

Last year he definitely hurt the team by overestimating their ability to develop and plug in rando WRs and apparently alienate CGM.

Beyond that not sure how anyone can hate on the man outside of his sheetty clock management and challenge flag fetish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom