Question Do we think Sean Payton was holding us back? (3 Viewers)

Except for last year, it's almost as if people are forgetting Payton was two plays from potentially going to the Super Bowl twice in recent years. Hell, depending if you include a certain TE's fumble ...

Last year he definitely hurt the team by overestimating their ability to develop and plug in rando WRs and apparently alienate CGM.

Beyond that not sure how anyone can hate on the man outside of his sheetty clock management and challenge flag fetish.

That bolded part. Payton was an amazing coach for the Saints. Wish he was still the coach. But saying that bolded part doesn't mean you don't appreciate what he did for this franchise.

He was a control freak and didn’t like adding new people in the locker room unless they were veterans he “trusted.” This about the stink bombs of galette, akiem hicks, and Jimmy Graham. These are regular issues and Payton didn’t handle them well.

The only way we’ll know if he was holding us back or not is whether this team can win the Super Bowl. If they do win it all, then he cost Drew Brees 2 or 3 SB’s by being stubborn ego driven dude. We flame out and lose and have locker room drama then he was the greatest thing ever and we really lost when he left. Let’s check back during the super bowl.

I know it's fashionable to bring down every rich white male you can these days, but man... SP is one of us. He brought us out of Katrina, our first Superbowl victory, brought us Drew and Reggie and MI and AK. Forever memories. Fought the man himself in Goodell. Change how the country views Nola in sports. You need to read his book and remind yourself. I'll forever have his back.
This has nothing to do with race. People are having an honest conversation about the needs of the team.

I feel like we should see how the next season or two pans out before coming to these sorts of conclusions. Remember, the original plan was to break the bank for Watson. We pushed a lot of money to next year to make that happen, and when it didn’t, we had a lot of money that we chose to go ahead and use. It’s one of those deals where we’re certainly all-in, but I’m not sure how things end up long-term.

We got some great playmakers. There’s no doubt about it, and I’m super excited. I just don’t think we need to start making these kind of statements about Payton just yet. He had his flaws, but look at how many winning seasons and the SB he brought us. Let’s just wait and see.

Are you serious?

I'm scratching my head on this thread.

Yes, Payton and Loomis laid a few eggs in going for free agents. The worst (IMO) was Brandon Browner. :mad: :covri:

Even so, Sean Payton has led us to a franchise reputation that is known league-wide to be a WINNING program. I only imagine how much of a dynasty if we had a middle-of-the-pack defense for all those years we had Drew Brees.

We have a Lombardi trophy, and he (CSP) turned over a team (to the new coach) in the BEST shape of any team in Saints' history. Just think back on the state of the team when Bum Phillips, Mora, Ditka, Haslett... all the way back to Tom Fears in the 1960's- - - handed the keys over to the next coach.

A lot has happened since Sean Payton arrived in New Orleans (post-Katrina), and he stuck it out. Worst season he ever coached with the Saints was 1-game under .500. That's impressive!

So glad we have the pride rekindled in the WhoDat Nation, thanks to Sean Payton. He kept striving to improve the team, and Dennis Allen can carry the team to the next level.

:gosaints:
oh man you didn’t forget about Jarvis Byrd? Or resigning Junior Galette?

i'm asking a question because im seeing some people feel this way
Prisoners of the moment. They like the way the off-season is going so by comparison they have to take away from someone to justify their approval. Payton is the new M. Williams or Trautman.

I'm not going to day he was holding us back....but his stuff was getting a little stale/predictable on Offense.

I keep coming back to this one play...3rd and 6...all receivers ran a 6 yard curl....this is a "checked out" play call if I've ever seen one:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom