Question Do we think Sean Payton was holding us back? (8 Viewers)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I’m with DTC on this one (thong and all). Sean took a down trodden team, raised them and the region to a level where if we didn’t have success (a playoff season) it was considered a failure. And to keep the wolves at bay he gave us 9 playoff seasons over 15 years. That’s not easy no matter who your quarterback is.

And to complain that he only gave us One Super Bowl? Come on folks, how forked up are you. You know how many teams don’t even have that many (two in our conference can tell you it ain’t easy).

To think that he held the team back is a reach. Perhaps I am getting old, but New Saints/Saints Twitter is raggedy.

Reaction score
Would we have signed these players if he was still the coach? Im seeing a lot of people on twitter sayin, he made have been holding us back.
I think so bro.. Him and Brees time been up. We were ready to be great again. Thx for him bringing the gold to the city but its been time.. You was right with the post bro...

Reaction score
I like SP.

But over the years their comes so many times where you question him, so many times he gets out coached by an inferior coach. I am not saying Dennis Allen is going to tear it up, but I watch other teams and then I watch the Saints, its like how come Sean Payton cant do much with the offensive talent he has but other coaches with lesser offensive talent can? Shannahan in San Fran for example, or Titans under Vrabel, heck even Cowboys under McCarthy with freaking Prescott is better than anything Payton was putting together after Winston went down.

I hate to say it, but I think we going to eventually find out that Sean Payton is nothing much without Drew Brees, and maybe in due time we may end finding out he is not as responsible for drafting players like we thought, and it was the FO.

Reaction score
I think in order for DA to get out of the Payton shadow he had to make a splash. If you think about general fan excitement and look at the heartbreak year after year the past few years then add losing Drew. To develop excitement and improve this roster we targeted a franchise type QB. Failed at it and became a blessing. The direct result is the ability to add talent with free agency dollars and use assets(draft capital), which would have been traded away, to improve the roster.
Dennis Allen could not have come in here and just rolled out with the same roster from last year hoping Jameis leads the team to 9 wins or more and possibly using our pick 19 on whatever QB was available and expecting the fanbase to genuinely be happy. That's why he targeted the splash trade, then the exciting draft, and the big name free agent signings. Also local guys whom the fanbase already loved. It's about starting new but in an exciting way.
When Payton arrived what happened? We target a QB, we made a big time draft pick, we signed some guys and all that resulted in the Lombardi. Its a Blueprint that Allen almost seems to be following. We can come down on Payton and hold him accountable for the team not exceeding our expectations the past few years, but he gave us excitement and a winning culture and believed in Brees' ability to get us there. I'm not mad at him. But we did go all in 2-3 years ago and pursued big names. Unfortunately the cards just didn't fall into place. Allen is bringing some freshness and excitement and I believe the expectations won't change.

Lastly, the only thing Payton held us back from was mediocrity and bottom feeding and maybe LSU guys lol

Nola20094EVA

Reaction score
Would we have signed these players if he was still the coach? Im seeing a lot of people on twitter sayin, he made have been holding us back.
We broke a damn nfl record with injuries to starters. To achieve a record of 9-8 with the bs we went through is a indictment of our coaching staff and only a idiot would think otherwise. Spoiled fan base

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Payton is an incredible coach.

Maybe he underestimated the importance of talented WRs (or overestimated the talent of the ones we have). But saying that “held us back” is a real stretch.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
By all means, tell us how that creative, universally praised offensive mind did NOT neglect building our offense towards the end of his career?

I swear, some of you think that every person that has wore Black and Gold should be free from criticism
He messed up on WRs.

He did soooo much else right. He’s not perfect. But Belichick neglected the WR position far worse than SP did (to the point he ran Brady out of town).

Over 30 teams in the NFL would be thrilled to have SP as their coach. Including us.

SonOfNOLA

Aboriginal to New Orleans
Reaction score
If the OP was more specific about what areas Payton may have held the team back from winning more beyond the wildcard & divisional rounds, then the answer would be yes with better context. Sean Payton brought more success to the franchise than the franchise has ever seen. But the areas that were overall neglected did prevent the team from having more postseason success that the team should have achieved had those areas been addressed.

It’s obvious Payton is the winningest regular season coach with multiple division titles during his last several years here. But what could have been if many of the 2016-2021 1st round picks were invested in offensive skill positions plus signing top tier FA starters and top FA depth on offense? That doesn’t make him a bad coach because of questioning if he held the team back. But he could have made his job a lot easier and been even more postseason successful had we not settle for low tier/older FA veterans and undrafted WR2/WR3/TE2/RB2 on offense as much as we did while Payton was HC. Coaching hid a lot of the undrafted players weaknesses with great QB and great playcalling during the regular season, but not investing in premium offensive skill players always showed during the postseason.

Teams we faced in the postseason seemed to have a 2nd RB, 2nd WR and 2nd TE that was nearly or equally talented as their main starter. We knew our elite RB1 and elite WR1 would miss multiple games a season due to injury and still never invested in an elite RB2 and elite WR2. Last season would have turned out a lot differently if we had those kind of players behind AK and MT when they missed games/the season.

Last edited:

fahad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
He was the best thing that happened to the Saints besides Drew Brees..The answer is clear. NOOOO

Gumbo's Dad

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Payton let the defense have so many top draft picks to get us where we are. Also, Dennis Allen became a top coordinator under Payton. Payton helped develop Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara and many others. It’s only without Drew Brees that you absolutely need more talent at wide receiver and it’s been one season without him.

Did Payton have his blind spots and perhaps stubbornness? Sure but to say he held us back is just inaccurate.
Agree with you mostly. However, if Sean had addressed wr2 earlier we would not have wasted Drew's last year's. Sean is a genius in some ways but he could not turn lead wr's into gold.

• 1Clown
Reactions: dtc

Gumbo's Dad

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I feel like we should see how the next season or two pans out before coming to these sorts of conclusions. Remember, the original plan was to break the bank for Watson. We pushed a lot of money to next year to make that happen, and when it didn’t, we had a lot of money that we chose to go ahead and use. It’s one of those deals where we’re certainly all-in, but I’m not sure how things end up long-term.

We got some great playmakers. There’s no doubt about it, and I’m super excited. I just don’t think we need to start making these kind of statements about Payton just yet. He had his flaws, but look at how many winning seasons and the SB he brought us. Let’s just wait and see.
I am glad you remember this. I prefer Jameis to Watson and think the money was far better spent adding more playmakers (ironically from LSU).

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No. In fact, absolutely not. If Payton six months from now indicates that he wants to return to coaching, there will be a line of teams wanting to hire him, even though it might mean giving the Saints one or two high draft picks as compensation. Dennis Allen has not been a serious contender for another head-coaching job since he was dismissed by the Raiders. Indeed, my concern this year is that we are going to learn the hard way the gap between Payton and Allen as head coach.

My one criticism of Payton and the Saints organization is that Payton would have been better served with a general manager who was less aggressive in personnel decisions and who could tell him no during and before the draft. Bill Belichick in New England is still a tremendous coach, but he has to overcome the mediocre job Bill Belichick the general manager has done for a number of years. At times, Payton the head coach was poorly served by Payton the de facto general manager.

los226

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There’s a reason Brady really wants to work with Payton. He’s a really good head coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines