Do y’all remember this game? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
While we all remember “THE” Game (and the precursor to that game), what are some other games you will always remember?

My good friend is a Vikes fan he we were talking about a Vikes Saints game from the early Sean and Drew years. I remember the game because Reggie Bush was so dominant, he remembered it because Antoine Winfield was so dominant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nzJXc3eBBIQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nzJXc3eBBIQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

Ugghh the days where the Kicking game was an afterthought for Payton...

ughh Billy Miller blowing a block leading to a strip sack, and ugggh Kevin Kaesviharn at Safety. :confused:

Bush's brilliance on Kick returns almost won the game for us, but he also had a critical fumble (yeah there was a facemask) and Lance Moore surprisingly bobbled an accurate pass up which led to an Interception.

This was one of those games I stored away in the "Forget' vaults..

I look at that game as a "growing pains" game because the Saints should've won that game but they made too many mistakes . It was a game that eventually molded that team into champions.

I look at that game as a "growing pains" game because the Saints should've won that game but they made too many mistakes . It was a game that eventually molded that team into champions.
It’s funny because watching the highlights I couldn’t for the life of me remember who their qb was. I remember Stinko, and Chester Taylor, and Bobby Wade, but I couldn’t remember who was slinging the ball until I heard Gus Ferrot.

Yeah we lost to a freaking Gus Ferrot lead team... You could tell most of the talent was in the house that year. Just missing a couple pieces (kicker, safety) and polish. The defense was already good. Notice how there were almost zero adrian peterson highlights. We could stop the run, but in signature Saints fashion, we let prayers thrown by bad QBs turn into game killers.

Sharper really was the difference maker. He single-handedly sealed that weak spot up.

I was there and remember it well. Wish I could forget it.

Could be wrong but it's probably the only time a team returns two punts for touchdowns and loses

Very painful loss. But that 2008 squad had the makings of a very good team. I think advanced stats showed that a 8-8 record was about the worst case scenario for us. Many simulations had us as an 11-5 team.

Heart crushing losses to the Broncos, Vikings, Bears, and Panthers.

That season our A game was phenomenal. But we couldn’t sustain it throughout the course of a game, let alone the season.

How we almost won that Broncos game on the road showed me we could be good. Also that week 17 game vs the Panthers.

Neat story, For whatever reason I was at the week 17 Falcons game that year. Every falcon fan needed us to beat the Panthers. Saints were down 30-10 entering the 4th.

Everyone was bummed. Then the Saints scored to make it 30-17. They showed the highlight in the Georgia dome and you heard loud cheers.

Then another one. 30-24 and that place was rocking. Then we took the lead 31-30 and it was the loudest I ever heard the Georgia dome.

We then found another way to break their hearts.

While we all remember “THE” Game (and the precursor to that game), what are some other games you will always remember?

My good friend is a Vikes fan he we were talking about a Vikes Saints game from the early Sean and Drew years. I remember the game because Reggie Bush was so dominant, he remembered it because Antoine Winfield was so dominant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nzJXc3eBBIQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nzJXc3eBBIQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

Yep, the 2008 MNF home loss. Watched it at a bar with a then-coworker of mine who was originally from Minnesota. Reggie’s finest game as a return man, no doubt. The secondary cost us that one when they let Tavares Jackson connect on more than one desperation heave in the second half. I also vaguely remember a bad call on what would’ve been a third return TD by Reggie. That was also during a stretch where Colston was out nursing a broken wrist and we had only Lance Moore to catch passes

Not to drag up bad memories (but alas, it probably will for most SR Saints fans) but as painful, and as frustrating as the 2008 MNF loss to Minnesota was, the ONE from 6 years earlier late in the 2002 season where all we needed was one win and we clinch a playoff spot, we regain the lead late in the 4th quarter vs. a mediocre, Vikings team and they drive down the field and score a TD which makes it a 1-point lead, Vikes go for 2 to win the game, Daunte fumbles the ball around, carefully picks it up and runs it in for the 2-point conversion, Vikes win the game and we have our second consecutive late-season collapse. Where the he'll were those fat, overweight forks on our D-line on that play? Seriously, 18 years have come and gone and every time I see that highlights from that part of the game, I don't see one forking glimpses of their fat arses anywhere close to Culpepper. I remember being more angry than heartbroken after that loss, so much so I wish I could transport myself into our locker room post-game and challenge their collective manhoods to their faces? I don't care if they get P'Oed at me and want to fight me then and there, they'd be showing more balls in that case then they did that entire game.

I will say this about our history of games with Minnesota, unless they have an absolutely terrible, sheetty roster devoid of talent and their headed for a 3-13 season, they can be a very difficult, challenging team to beat. Even when we've beaten them in regular season or postseason, the games are usually very close, and emotionally and mentally, as a Saints fan, you feel like you've just won a bruising, battering 15 round heavyweight prize fight by TKO.

I remember Bush would've had a 3rd punt return TD had the guy not barely touched his sock.

Yes and no. He tripped on what would've been the second TD return. The fact that Brad Childress didn't specifically instruct his punter to make sure all of his subsequent punts went out of bonds after the first TD even if it meant 20 yard shanks each time is baffling. He was probably dumb enough to think he'd seen the worst of it after Bush broke free that second time and thought it was okay to keep punts in play but if he knew they were punting to a guy that already had 2 TDs on the night, there's no way in hell he's letting Reggie get within a city block of any punts from that point forward since giving up 3 TDs like that is enough to get your arse fired.

This reminds me of why my new favorite team to hate is Minnesota.
I remember rushing home from work and jumping in front of the TV for this game. I was sick, and had a sore throat but that didn't stop me from screaming and cheering at the TV!
I'm glad we made up for this game/season in 2009.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom