Question Do you all think Olave is or will be a #1 receiver? (1 Viewer)

SigFreudianSlip

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Reading about MT (hopefully) staying, and knowing he’s a legit 1 when healthy…got me to thinking about Olave. I love the guy but do not think he is or will be a true 1 for us. Think his ceiling is great #2 receiver.

What say y’all?

Reading about MT (hopefully) staying, and knowing he’s a legit 1 when healthy…got me to thinking about Olave. I love the guy but do not think he is or will be a true 1 for us. Think his ceiling is great #2 receiver.

What say y’all?
He’s definitely going to be our number 1. To me, he’s a reincarnation of Marvin Harrison. If he puts on about 5-10 pounds of muscle this off-season he’s going to be a great one.

He’s definitely going to be our number 1. To me, he’s a reincarnation of Marvin Harrison. If he puts on about 5-10 pounds of muscle this off-season he’s going to be a great one.
That would be great. He does need to get a bit bigger and stronger imo. Hope you’re correct in your comparison.

I currently think of him as a high-end #2. He's good enough to be a #1 but would be his best as a #2. Some of that is skill set. It's not easy to force the ball to him if you need a play. He's more likely to make a play easy for the QB by getting wide open. If it's not there he's not going to Moss someone or anything. He's young though, so at this point I'm not too worried about it. It's not like Jerry Rice was Moss-ing people either. A healthy Thomas would be the perfect yin to his yang imo.

I believe hes a Fantastic #2 Right now when there is a Possession WR next to him. The Offense wasnt very fluid and featured new players every week that made it easier i feel for Olave to work out of the slot. To be #1 the Z I need to see him gain some muscle to bring some stability to his game. I then need to see how Carr gets him the ball. Dalton always made him dive in the dirt or slide face first for catches not a good way to keep him healthy. Jamies would over throw him alot hey kept trying to ring up 9 balls those first few games.

Right now I don’t think so but hopefully he proves me wrong.

What say y’all?
If MT returns, Olave will never be our #1 WR. MT contract and ego is too big to be a #2 WR.

That offense will have to go through MT especially since he helped recruit Derek Carr or there will be disruption in the locker room if we lose.

He is our #1 on paper, but he shouldnt be. He is probably more effective with a true #1 type WR playing opposite of him. Basically 2019 and back MT. In this offense, a contest catch WR has always been the #1. Colston, Thomas and for a few years our #1 option was Jimmy Graham. All 3 were first and foremost contest catch, big body WRs.

Olave is in a weird spot. Too good to be a WR2, but lacks the contest catch ability to be your go to on 3rd and 8 on a consistent basis. Id say if the football gods allow MT to return and be healthy, theyd be more like 1A and 1B than 1 and 2.

So while I dont see Olave as a true, game takeover type WR1, I also think he isnt quite a WR2. I think the guy might have a skillset that doesnt require a number. I just think having a WR1 that handles the contest catch/slant/sit in a zone stuff, Olave could be better for it.

I currently think of him as a high-end #2. He's good enough to be a #1 but would be his best as a #2. Some of that is skill set. It's not easy to force the ball to him if you need a play. He's more likely to make a play easy for the QB by getting wide open. If it's not there he's not going to Moss someone or anything. He's young though, so at this point I'm not too worried about it. It's not like Jerry Rice was Moss-ing people either. A healthy Thomas would be the perfect yin to his yang imo.
Agreed. I don't get the impression that you can just throw it up to Olave and he'll get it regardless of how he's covered or how bad the throw is. And given his size right now you'd be risking his health for not much benefit in doing so.

Rather, Olave is the guy that will demand help from the opposing defense, consistently get elite separation, and open the field for the rest of the team. In those senses he is a #1. And Thomas would indeed be the perfect complement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom