Do you believe there are other life forms out in the universe? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe there are other life forms out in the universe.

• Yes

Votes: 76 87.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 12.6%

• Total voters
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aHN6AViJAvI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aHN6AViJAvI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've had several conversations about this with a friend of mine. I've always believed that there must be some kind of other life form out there in the universe.. my friend on the other hand believes without a doubt they exist and are HERE .. now .. checking us out.. anyways..

So yes I do believe in the possibility that some other life form may exist in the universe..

However something else has occurred to me lately.. and that is just how lucky we are to be here, on this planet, and have been able to evolve into what we have now.. just now beginning to explore other planets in our solar system. How far we've had to come in the some 4.5 billion years this planet has existed.. Just the right distance from the sun, to have access to water, to have protection from wandering meteorites etc with the help of our Moon and larger planets further out in our solar system. That our planet provides us protection from the sun's radiation.. That some asteroid hasn't completely taken us out. Or that some disease hasn't wiped us off the planet, or that we haven't destroyed ourselves, or send ourselves back to the stone age.. after some nuclear fall out..

When I take these things into consideration, I wonder what are the chances that some other life form on some other planet, would have a chance to evolve to a point of language and understanding that we have much less to the point that they could easily travel from one solar system to the next..

So sometimes I wonder.. considering all the stars in the universe.. how many planets out there are lucky enough to be just the right distance from their sun, and have protection from that sun that the planet doesn't get bombarded with radiation.. doesn't get destroyed by meteorites, manages to form life, and evolve long enough to have some kind of civilization..

Anyways..

:gosaints:

billions and billions...

Isn't it obvious?

james_carville.jpg

Last edited:
I've had several conversations about this with a friend of mine. I've always believed that there must be some kind of other life form out there in the universe.. my friend on the other hand believes without a doubt they exist and are HERE .. now .. checking us out.. anyways..

So yes I do believe in the possibility that some other life form may exist in the universe..

However something else has occurred to me lately.. and that is just how lucky we are to be here, on this planet, and have been able to evolve into what we have now.. just now beginning to explore other planets in our solar system. How far we've had to come in the some 4.5 billion years this planet has existed.. Just the right distance from the sun, to have access to water, to have protection from wandering meteorites etc with the help of our Moon and larger planets further out in our solar system. That our planet provides us protection from the sun's radiation.. That some asteroid hasn't completely taken us out. Or that some disease hasn't wiped us off the planet, or that we haven't destroyed ourselves, or send ourselves back to the stone age.. after some nuclear fall out..

When I take these things into consideration, I wonder what are the chances that some other life form on some other planet, would have a chance to evolve to a point of language and understanding that we have much less to the point that they could easily travel from one solar system to the next..

So sometimes I wonder.. considering all the stars in the universe.. how many planets out there are lucky enough to be just the right distance from their sun, and have protection from that sun that the planet doesn't get bombarded with radiation.. doesn't get destroyed by meteorites, manages to form life, and evolve long enough to have some kind of civilization..

Anyways..

:gosaints:

That's just it, though. We think of life as something that has to have water and a sun, etc., but who's to say that something else didn't happen. Something not carbon-based; some other form of intelligent life that we haven't even theorized because it's outside our realm of understanding because of how we perceive things and what must be in our infinitesimal corner of the universe when there's SO much more out there. The possibilities are endless, and those other beings may have needed a similarly unique set of circumstances to evolve, but with as much universe as there is out there, the odds are good that SOMETHING happened SOMEWHERE.

If you mean simply "life", Earth may not even have the only life in this Solar System.

If you mean "intelligent life"...that's a sketchier proposition.

Good poll - but the thread title question order (are we alone) is the opposite of the poll question phrasing (do you think there are other life forms) so that might lead to some error in the selection process. (People accidentally choosing the opposite of their real answer).

The data would be more reliable if the question order were consistent.

/end communication

correct. i chose the opposite of what i thought

Oh, I have a couple very intelligent friends (by which I mean to say they aren't just a couple wackjobs), who believe in alien visitors, breeding programs, etc. etc. They are hardcore believers.

That would automatically disqualify them as "very intelligent" in my opinion

to think we are alone in this universe is an incredibly selfish and arrogant proposition

That would automatically disqualify them as "very intelligent" in my opinion

Well, between them they have multiple degrees, NATO security clearance, Pentagon Intelligence service, a judgeship and run their own successful businesses. There are a lot of "smart" people who believe.

The answer is no. The universe is too big. We are nothing but a speck in the grand scheme of things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom