Do you eat fish with the head on? (1 Viewer)

Many (or maybe most) places South of the border eat fried fish, which is fried whole.

Back in the day, there was this dive next to the beach in Progreso, Yucatán, (which is like a 15 minute drive from Mérida) that had a guy who you could see go out with his boat and bring the fish. You could get one that was caught a couple hours ago or wait for the guy and select your fish. It got descaled, gutted, three cuts on each side, and into the huge frying pan it went (kind of like a wok).

pescadofrito.jpg

Yes. My wife is Filipina and pretty much every fish we cook has the head still on and if it doesn't then the head ends up in soup. We'll also buy the fish heads from fish markets just to make soup.

Its been a long time but from what I remember you just just open up one side with two long slits crossed so they peel back like an unglued envelope.
Okay, now I'm thinking about the Refinery29 video I just saw about the 29-year-old taxidermist.

Many (or maybe most) places South of the border eat fried fish, which is fried whole.

Back in the day, there was this dive next to the beach in Progreso, Yucatán, (which is like a 15 minute drive from Mérida) that had a guy who you could see go out with his boat and bring the fish. You could get one that was caught a couple hours ago or wait for the guy and select your fish. It got descaled, gutted, three cuts on each side, and into the huge frying pan it went (kind of like a wok).

pescadofrito.jpg
Nummy.

Depends on how it is prepared but yes, I’ll eat fish with the head on. If it’s good it’s good - I’m not gonna make out with it.

sometimes you worry me Marsha.
No. You should only worry about me if I was the one practicing taxidermy and if I was doing it as a child. #fledglingserialkiller

Still, it was RIVETING!

How about blow fish? (yeah, there might be an entendre in there)

Went to Bruning's with one of my professors back in the day. It was my first time there so I wasn't familiar with the menu. I ordered the fried catfish and didn't specify fillets. Man, watching that whole catfish sitting in front of my was an experience I'll never forget. Downright scary. Needless to say my professor laughed his arse off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom