Do you feel bad for Steve Mcnair and his possible SB legacy (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I must say,some part of me wishes that after all these years later, the Titans would have won that now infamous 1 yard short game in the SB. I feel sorry for Steve Mcnair in the worst way. he had a clutch drive in the last minutes of the Super Bowl in 1999. That is what MVP's are made off, he did a damn good job up until the last play. That damn last play, that hurts for me to see a guy to get so close and yet fall so short of the main goal. The Super Bowl could have been going into OT and the Titans may have won that game probably if it did.
Flash forward 10 years later and Steve Mcnair is retiring from this game and he leaves a career well played. But still their is a good chance he will not make the HOF because of one play, one damn yard his WR did not make. and in the years afterwards, the Titans never made it back to the big game. They came close several times but not the big game and one more shot to win the game that he almost single handedly won in that classic drive in the SB.

to me that is a shame and almost an unbearable thing to live down for Mcnair. He was a two time MVP, he should make the HOF but some jerks in the Hall will look at this one game an say he never won it mattered the most.

And thats his legacy and I must confess I hate to say it that way. Mcnair was a hell of a player, he deserves a better shake in this career he chose. He deserved all those things he earned and yet he never won the Big game.

Even it was staring him in the face, one yard away.

Thats a hell most men would never want to live down. to have that great of a career and to be remembered for that game and that shortcoming is a sin to me IMHO.

And yes I am a Saints fan who is well used to tragedy and regrets saying this.
Thank you Steve Mcnair for 13 great years, I hope people will remember you for the career you had and not the regrets of falling just one yard short.

Last edited:
He was a "real" football player. He had drive, determination, and skills; but had bum luck on that last drive in SB. His numbers speak volumes for him, but that SB loss will be an anchor around his neck when it comes to HOF. He was great, but I don't know how easy it will be for him to become HOF member. HOF voting baffles me at times as it is.

He's set for life financially and he had his moment in the limelight.

/thread

I know WB, but that was 1 yard he needed to get a chance to win the biggest game of his life. To get that close and fail is heartbreaking, in fact it can break men psychologically and their careers can suffer for it as well. Mcnair was a soldier and he played this game the way it should be played. he left it all on the field. Yeah he has money and fame but man to get that one shot and come up so close only to fail, I feel terrible for him. Because he played his *** off in that game, he was a two time MVP, if he had won that game, he makes the HOF right now and wins maybe another SB. He deserves a HOF induction, but you know what do not be surprised if he does not get it in any way.

some voters will always hold that against that, and its wrong IMHO to do that. Very wrong in fact.

I've always hated Steve Mcnair so I could care less. Sorry but its the truth. He didn't even deserve the MVP that year he and Peyton Manning won.

as a lifelong Saints fan, i feel no sympathy for anyone else when it comes to "what couldve/shouldve been" in the NFL

Its the ultimate team sport, many great players come and go without getting the big one. I don't know what people would have against Mcnair he was a great player.

I been seeing all day how the Titans were 1 yd short from winning the SB. I could have sworn if they did get the TD it would have just been a tie. Too lazy to research.

I been seeing all day how the Titans were 1 yd short from winning the SB. I could have sworn if they did get the TD it would have just been a tie. Too lazy to research.

You're right. 7 points there would have tied the game.

It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since when I hear people say that the Titans were one yard away from winning the Super Bowl.

No different from people saying we would have beaten Jacksonville had Carney made the XP, but hey, standards change sometimes.

I don't feel bad for his legacy, if only because I don't feel it was/is that tarnished to begin with. Talking heads may disagree, but if Super Bowls were the only way QBs got into the HOF then, just think, Jim Kelly would be out, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler in. For example.

He's set for life financially and he had his moment in the limelight.

/thread

+1. The guy made more playing 1 season than most people make in their whole lives.

Let's say you, the working person, were to make a well above-average salary of $50,000/year. It would take you 20 years to make $1,000,000. His roster bonus alone, when he first signed, was $11,000,000, or 220 years at $50,000/year.

Who feels bad because the guy never won a Super Bowl? BOO-HOO.

lets see, saints losing one game away from their first superbowl appearance vs some team and a qb i dont care about.....hmm, which do i most feel bad for

I was rooting for the Rams and the greatest show on turf so, No, I don't feel bad for McNair. He also does not belong in the HOF, he wasa great player, just not a HOFer.

No different from people saying we would have beaten Jacksonville had Carney made the XP, but hey, standards change sometimes.

What is even worse is when they say if Carney would have made that XP would would have been in the playoffs, which is far from true. We had to win, and someone had to lose, Carolina I think, who played later. So, if he had made that, the game would have been tied, not won. Assuming we had won in OT, Carolina, or whoever, still won later, so it would have been all for nothing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom