Do you feel jipped by the Super Bowls? (1 Viewer)

It is ironic it’s felt like that since brees took over. But easy to get bad taste in your mouth when seeing bad teams in it against a team that should be there.

It is ironic it’s felt like that since brees took over. But easy to get bad taste in your mouth when seeing bad teams in it against a team that should be there.
When Brees took over, a 10-6 team had a first round bye.

Ha, how much time you got to go back through history and determine who either should've been in the Super Bowl or seemingly deserved it more than the team(s) who actually made it there? I love history stuff! :p
Not sure on that but Seattle should not have got in the playoffs at 7-9 in 2010 . If the entire division sucks they should all be left out and a 10-6 team in another division should get in over them. That's the only thing that needs to be fixed Imo.

Ha, how much time you got to go back through history and determine who either should've been in the Super Bowl or seemingly deserved it more than the team(s) who actually made it there? I love history stuff! :p
I be hard pressed to ever find a team that didnt belong in the SB before mid 2000s. Even in blow outs the 90s Buffalo teams should of been in the SB. The only other time I have question marks about is the strike seasons with Washington. Except 1, thats 95 Chargers.

Some of the stuff we seen the last 15 years would be like watching Cleveland vs Minnesota or Washington in the SB in 87, or Colts vs Cowboys in 96 SB, those scenarios if playing out in their respective title games today, very possibly could yield those matchups with how the league plays out. This is just 2 of examples.

I be hard pressed to ever find a team that didnt belong in the SB before mid 2000s. Even in blow outs the 90s Buffalo teams should of been in the SB. The only other time I have question marks about is the strike seasons with Washington. Except 1, thats 95 Chargers.

Some of the stuff we seen the last 15 years would be like watching Cleveland vs Minnesota or Washington in the SB in 87, or Colts vs Cowboys in 96 SB, those scenarios if playing out in their respective title games today, very possibly could yield those matchups with how the league plays out. This is just 2 of examples.

You're on the right track, but I'll add some perspective on a few "shoulda-been" Super Bowls. Again, I LOVE watching the old NFL on YT. Plenty of old games on there if you know where to look. I'll include some of the ones you happened to mention, but I'll start even sooner than that:

2000 -- no way the Giants belonged in SB 35 with the season the Vikings and Randy Moss had. Included of course the easy win over us in the divisional round. They of course blew it big-time against the Giants the next week. Vikings/Ravens would've been quite the matchup......could Randy Moss have made an impact against that vaunted Ravens defense?

1998 -- could almost just copy and paste the one above.......no way the Failclowns belonged in SB 33 with the kind of season the Vikings and Randy Moss had. They of course blew it with Gary Anderson's first missed FG all season. Vikings/Broncos would've been quite the matchup.......could Cunningham and Moss have made an impact against Elway and the Broncos?

1994 -- indeed it's crazy that THIS Chargers team made a SB, when three teams during the Coryell era were far more deserving. Straight-up, it should've been Steelers/49ers in SB 29. Easily the biggest downer during the Cowher era for Steelers fans was losing at home to the warm-weather Chargers in the AFCCG. I'm sure the 49ers with their overloaded roster and looming salary cap violations would've mustered enough points to beat the Steelers anyway, but it sure wouldn't have been a snoozer from the opening kickoff like this one was. The Steelers redeemed themselves the following year by surviving Jim Harbaugh's Hail Mary pass at the end of the game vs. the Colts in the AFCCG.

1987 -- wow, take your pick of shoulda-been matchups here! We finally made the playoffs in '87 after 21 years of misery and torture, then lose to the Vikings in the wild card round. I want to point out those Vikings weren't that bad, matter of fact they were darned good. They were 8-4 in non-strike games that year; only the scabs screwed up their record by losing all three games. Remember, we were 2-1 with the replacements, which helped our record look better. Vikes go 'head and score a huge upset of Montana and Rice's 49ers on the road, then lose a forgotten great one against the Redskins in the NFCCG. Over on the AFC side, you had the Browns losing their second-straight heartbreaker to the Broncos in the AFCCG. So, take your pick.......Saints/Browns? Vikings/Browns? 49ers/Broncos? 49ers/Browns? Redskins/Browns? Can't make up my mind here.

Been a Saints fan since the age of seven, but as a kid my favorite AFC team was the old San Diego Chargers. Just something about the lightning bolt, I guess. Which leads me to.....

1981 -- only the coldest wind chill ever recorded for an NFL game (up to then, I think) kept the Coryell-era Chargers from making a big one. After the "epic in Miami" in the divisional round, they ran out of gas for the AFCCG in Cincinnati, which back then had a football team :p. Would've loved to see Chargers/49ers BACK THEN, not in 1994! Fouts vs. Montana in a Super Bowl. can only dream, sadly.

1980 -- coupla choices here.....the Chargers and the Failclowns were the top seeds that year, yet it ended up being Raiders/Eagles in the SB. The Clowns lost a classic at home to the Cowgirls, who then lost the following week to the Eagles. In the AFC, the Raiders lucked out in Cleveland, which was the no. 2 seed, when the Browns ran the infamous "Red Right 88" play in the red zone instead of trying a game-winning FG. Then they lucked out again in San Diego in the AFCCG by scoring on a fluky deflected pass on the first or second play of the game that ended up being the difference. So.....shoulda been Chargers/Eagles? Chargers/Failclowns? Browns/Eagles? Take your pick!

1979 -- the first of Coryell's three close calls with a Super Bowl. They had annihilated the Steel Curtain Steelers at home that year on the way to the top seed in the AFC. But in a mostly-forgotten great upset, they blew it at home against the Houston Oilers in the divisional round. Then the Oilers lost their second AFCCG to the Steelers in a game most remembered for the terrible call on a Mike Renfro TD reception where he was clearly in-bounds. In the NFC, you had the Saints' failures stealthily involved here........had we not blown the opener against the Failclowns and the MNF meltdown against the Raiders, we'd have won the division and the Rams likely wouldn't have even made the playoffs. The Bucs lost the NFCCG to the Rams and had quite the stingy defense for a brief period of time with the Selmon brothers, but couldn't manage to score a point in the game. So instead of Steelers/Rams like it ended up, you could've had any number of combinations here.

Last edited:
I’ve watched NFL and Saints since about 90-91. Never had that much a problem when SB time comes around, but about 2006 and outside a couple years since then, it seems the 2 best teams are never matched up in the big game.

anyone ever feel this league seems to be problematic when it comes to this? I dont see this in any other sport, not even college football unless we go back to bcs era or when papers did rankings. Only time ironically it was a problem in any sport was the NBA with the Donahue scandal.

it seems the NFL plays off underdogs so much more than any other sport. I dunno if I feel jipped off about the KC/SF Sb matchup, but it be the first time I haven’t felt it in many years.

thoughts?

It's not about having the two best teams. Sometimes the better team loses and that's ok. You can't take the 'on any given sunday' out of the equation or you will have a much more boring league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom