Do you feel jipped by the Super Bowls? (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
I’ve watched NFL and Saints since about 90-91. Never had that much a problem when SB time comes around, but about 2006 and outside a couple years since then, it seems the 2 best teams are never matched up in the big game.

anyone ever feel this league seems to be problematic when it comes to this? I dont see this in any other sport, not even college football unless we go back to bcs era or when papers did rankings. Only time ironically it was a problem in any sport was the NBA with the Donahue scandal.

it seems the NFL plays off underdogs so much more than any other sport. I dunno if I feel jipped off about the KC/SF Sb matchup, but it be the first time I haven’t felt it in many years.

thoughts?

I think the tiebreaking procedures in the standings need to be looked at, but other than that I don't know how you do a better job at insuring the two best teams play each other aside from the current format.

Its because its a one and done playoff format. The other leagues are best of 7 game series. In a 7 game series its rare that the better team doesn't come out on top. I guess it could happen in baseball if the better team goes into a 5 or 6 game slump at the wrong time.

I haven't watched the Superbowl since the Saints won so I can't say I feel jipped, I just feel like there is too much funny business building up to the big game. It started with bountygate for me and just continued from there. Plus, I'm not crazy about the Pats or Brady, so that ruled out watching a bunch of SBs. I just catch some of the highlights on the Monday after. The only game I did watch later on nfl channel was the Panthers game just because of the hilarious highlights of Cam's actions. For me there is just too much BS in the SB.

*that guy* k, the word isn’t ‘jipped’ but the’correct’ word is problematic, so...

In most sports, playoffs are contests among teams with (mostly)
60%-75% records
So all things being equal, the ‘best’ teams have a 1 in 4 chance of losing (and those odd would increase the better the competition)
A 75% team has a MUCH better chance of winning 4 out of 7 than of winning just one game
EPL/La Liga probably have the most predictable season results and NFL the least (with MLB then NBA sandwiched I’m there)
So the question is, are you drawn more to date (soccer) or to chance (nfl)?

*that guy* k, the word isn’t ‘jipped’ but the’correct’ word is problematic, so...
I felt weird typing jipped but didn't want to start a controversy in such a docile thread.

ETA: I went to dictionary.com just to see what they said and apparently it's not as bad as I thought.

Gyp in the meanings “to swindle” or “a person who swindles” is sometimes perceived as insulting to or by Gypsies, since it stereotypes them as swindlers. However, gyp has apparently never been used as a deliberate ethnic slur, and many people are unaware that it is derived from Gypsy.

Dang, since I've usually seen it spelled with a J rather than a G I would have never connected jipped to Gypsy. I learned something new today!

I’ve watched NFL and Saints since about 90-91. Never had that much a problem when SB time comes around, but about 2006 and outside a couple years since then, it seems the 2 best teams are never matched up in the big game.

anyone ever feel this league seems to be problematic when it comes to this? I dont see this in any other sport, not even college football unless we go back to bcs era or when papers did rankings. Only time ironically it was a problem in any sport was the NBA with the Donahue scandal.

it seems the NFL plays off underdogs so much more than any other sport. I dunno if I feel jipped off about the KC/SF Sb matchup, but it be the first time I haven’t felt it in many years.

thoughts?

Ha, how much time you got to go back through history and determine who either should've been in the Super Bowl or seemingly deserved it more than the team(s) who actually made it there? I love history stuff! :p

I haven't watched the Superbowl since the Saints won so I can't say I feel jipped, I just feel like there is too much funny business building up to the big game. It started with bountygate for me and just continued from there. Plus, I'm not crazy about the Pats or Brady, so that ruled out watching a bunch of SBs. I just catch some of the highlights on the Monday after. The only game I did watch later on nfl channel was the Panthers game just because of the hilarious highlights of Cam's actions. For me there is just too much BS in the SB.

^ yeah, this! I used to be interested in Superbowls, as my Saints had no chance of ever being in one, and the odds for "next year" were even worse. Then 2009 rolled around and the previously unthinkable happened. Now that I've experienced that, a SB without the Saints is of no interest. Stack on a helping of Patriot Fatigue, and I'd prefer to just end the season when the Saints are done and start looking forward to free agency and the draft.

While I did enjoy the post-SB videos of pouty Cam and the news that the Falcons pulled the biggest choke in SB history, it doesn't make me want to watch. Saints or nothing now...

NFL Football for sure is a different animal. I see what you are getting at. I think the big reason why it doesn't seem like the best football team from each conference doesn't get in is because of the Salary Cap. Now there isn't much difference between an 13-3 and a 10-6 one. Plus like others have said it's one and done. If the QB has a bad game that's it.

In baseball only reason upsets happen is because a batter or pitcher can get hot and carry a team to a series win.

Last edited:
NFL Football for sure is a different animal. I see what you are getting at. I think the big reason why it doesn't seem like the best football team from each conference doesn't get in is because of the Salary Cap. Now there isn't much difference between an 13-3 and a 10-6 one. Plus like others have said it's one and done. If the QB has a bad game that's it.

In baseball only reason upsets happen is because a better or pitcher can get hot and carry a team to a series win.
1. This thread should be an antidote to the ‘this was a wasted season’ crowd - nfl playoffs are a particular animal

2. Not only are 1 and done playoffs a thing, but the difference (usually) between an 8-8 team and a 10-6 team is fairly small - luck and timing have way more impact on both regular season and postseason

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom