Do you have a dislike for elitist type people (1 Viewer)

What is really disturbing to me is the rampant anti-intellectualism in this country right now. People should value knowledge and education more instead of running around and cursing and whining about elitists.

Fuggles, nothing is wrong with getting knowledge and an education, thats not my point. AS some one pointed out, you can be smart and intelectually sound withou having a certain arrogance to you that at least I define as somewhat elitist. My problem is that you have people who are in a great many colleges these days taught from a slanted viewpoint that I dont agree with personally and its disgustngly slanted too that is makes it hard to get an education for me becuase I dont hear what the truth is, I hear what the professor wants me to hear, his or her version of the truth.

I dislike elitistism becuase it leads to one being sometmes overconfident and a downright neglect for people who may not up to their way of thinking.

One should try to get knowledge as much they want too, I just dont like the ones that abuse it and think that is makes them superor to everone else.
No one likes a person who looks down on other people and puts themsleves on a pedestal above everyone else, thats what the jist of my argument is.

What is really disturbing to me is the rampant anti-intellectualism in this country right now. People should value knowledge and education more instead of running around and cursing and whining about elitists.

Yep. It scares me that in this country the term "intellectual" has become an insult.

AS some one pointed out, you can be smart and intelectually sound withou having a certain arrogance to you that at least I define as somewhat elitist

Nope. Can't see where I agree here.

I'm arrogant, somewhat elitist, and educated.

Got a problem with it? Sorry.

I'm not about to apologize for getting an education.

Having a certain degree of arrogance, confidence, and yes--elitism goes with the territory.

But I think you are conflating or equating education too much with OVER-arrogance and elitism. Or being an intellectual has something to do with being a political liberal. Ever heard of William F. Buckley? D'Nesh D'Souza (sp?)

Most who master what they do--educated or not, have a certain amount of arrogance and elitism because of their expertise.

Example: Talk to an underwater welder about other welders and he'll tell you not evey welder can weld underwater. And I bet many are arrogant about it. Who cares.

Here's what I think:

"I find moral elites just as annoying as intellectual elites. I also find uneducated elites to be pretty annoying. You know them, the "I don't need no book learn'n" crowd that looks down their nose at anyone with an education. The fact is every group has it's elites that think their way of life is better than everyone elses and they're all equally annoying."
--SBTB
Amen.

Elitism, arrogance, and ego has limitations. But anybody who is good at what they do is going to have a certain amount of these personality traits. An intellectual who is so arrogant, elitist or blind to see that there's always learning to do isn't really an intellectual.

A small percentage of the population has Ph.Ds. There's a reason for it--it doesn't make anyone better or worse, but to master a subject, there's a certain amount of confidence, elitism, and arrogance which I won't deny or apologize for.

So I'm educated and arrogant.

Sue me.

>> So I'm educated and arrogant.

Just wait till the Egg Bowl is over with.

/olemissisgoingdown

The elites are our superiors and they know whats best for us. We should listen to their wisdom and let them decide how the world should be run.

>> So I'm educated and arrogant.

Just wait till the Egg Bowl is over with.

/olemissisgoingdown

hahahah. Big win for Starksville and the cow college.

I might be going to that game, btw.

And I think if state continues to build on that win, it'll probably happen.

Score one for Severum for articulating it better than I did earlier the thread.

I'm willing to bet Severum has a college education. Just an educated guess.:scratch:

REb, what you just said is kind of erroroneous dont you think, the only way you are an intellectual is if you are arrogant according to you? Sorry my man I am not buying that at all. That may be your view but its not mine , and you know what thats the problem with colleges these days, its an arrogance they carry, instead of trying to teach people how to be indepedenat thinkers, they usually end up just like them, think like them, and talk like them. You know well enough the pack mentality on colleges these days, the way some students buy into their professors rhetoric and thinking like its their own.

I dont like that and I never will. As long as people in the higher ups in colleges think their better then everyone else and have a holier then thou atttitude, its going to have a reverse effect on people like me.

REb, what you just said is kind of erroroneous dont you think, the only way you are an intellectual is if you are arrogant according to you? Sorry my man I am not buying that at all. That may be your view but its not mine , and you know what thats the problem with colleges these days, its an arrogance they carry, instead of trying to teach people how to be indepedenat thinkers, they usually end up just like them, think like them, and talk like them. You know well enough the pack mentality on colleges these days, the way some students buy into their professors rhetoric and thinking like its their own.

I dont like that and I never will. As long as people in the higher ups in colleges think their better then everyone else and have a holier then thou atttitude, its going to have a reverse effect on people like me.

You're conflating "holier than thou" attitude with "I have knowledge, and I want to impart that knowledge." Why do you think students sign up to go to college?

Pack mentality--here's where you're missing the boat. You really think professors all get along? hahahahaha. There's no more independent, autonomous thinking individual than a college professor. If you think all college professors think alike, you're really mistaken. It's a small miracle for them to even coexist on a friendly, regular basis. Trust me.

Intellectual--the ability to discuss and debate with others using rational, logical, analytical thought and evidence. Usually those with professional degrees or folks who are very well read are better at these activities than others. Stating this fact is being arrogant. Fine. I just did. College professors, among others, refer to themselves as intellectuals. It doesn't mean that they agree, it just means they go about debate in a certain manner.

I was called arrogant many times in Graduate School. I guess I'm finally embracing the moniker.

Again, arrogance has its limitations, but any expert in any field of study--intellectual or otherwise is going to be arrogant.

And if you think South Alabama has professors who are just wanting to brainwash you, drop out and go someplace else for college. But I'm willing to bet you're really exaggerating this effort of professors to get you to think, act, and be exactly like them.

Because it's not the purpose of college.

But if that's the quality of education you're getting at South, I say hit the bricks now.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom