Do you hold your pen/pencil correctly? (1 Viewer)

CT Saints Fan

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Texas - via Metairie, Houston, Virginia, & Con
It seems they don't teach this in school anymore, so I've been trying to teach my kids. When you hold it correctly, the muscles in the hand and arm are allowed to work properly for either printing or writing in cursive. If you hold it any other way, the muscles are all working against each other - leading to difficulties in writing neatly, cramping (short-term) or pain (long-term), and slower writing (making taking notes in school more difficult).

Last edited:
No, I don't write correctly. I was taught the "correct manner". I had various gripe guides forced on me. I was corrected on it for multiple years. I still hold it incorrectly.

I have no problems.

No, I don't write correctly. I was taught the "correct manner". I had various gripe guides forced on me. I was corrected on it for multiple years. I still hold it incorrectly.

I have no problems.

Jeeze,were you force fed too, don't worry man,they can't hurt you anymore. J/K:hihi:

$10 internet dollars says LSSpam is left handed. Just a shot in the dark.

ps Spam it sounds like someone rode you pretty hard on your pencil/pen grip.

Personally, I grip closer to the "incorrect" illustration and often cramp. Maybe I'll try to grip my pencil better (Lord that's awful):).

pss I may start a golf club grip thread in the future. Beware the claw....

Last edited:
I am right-handed but write like a lefty...and I end up with ink smeared on the medial aspect of my hand every time.

$10 internet dollars says LSSpam is left handed. Just a shot in the dark.

No.

SaintAkira said:
ps Spam it sounds like someone rode you pretty hard on your pencil/pen grip.

Not really. It never bothered me. My point in putting it like that was to express completely to CT Saint that people did try their best to teach me to write "correctly", and that it didn't matter.

A kid will write however it feels most comfortable to them :shrug: and that's that. Sure you should show them the "right" way I guess, but if they don't like it, they won't write like that.

No.

Not really. It never bothered me. My point in putting it like that was to express completely to CT Saint that people did try their best to teach me to write "correctly", and that it didn't matter.

A kid will write however it feels most comfortable to them :shrug: and that's that. Sure you should show them the "right" way I guess, but if they don't like it, they won't write like that.

Swing and a miss on all accounts by me. Meh. My bad for being presumptuous.

It's kind of a trivial topic, but I guess one of more import is, is teaching a kid the "right" way to hold a pencil/pen really of the utmost importance? I mean, Constitution, reading comprehension, math skills, are really considerably more important than how the kid holds his pen/pencil while he writes his essy, IMO at least.

I've honestly never had an instructor try to teach me the "correct" way to write in recent memory. Maybe in the 1st grade so I'd know what end went on the paper, but during high school this specific brand of grip was not instructed. Then again I went to public school.

To summarize, and I think agree, hold the damn thing however it's comfortable for you.

ps I owe you $10 internet dollars. Spend them wisely:)

It seems they don't teach this in school anymore, so I've been trying to teach my kids. When you hold it correctly, the muscles in the hand and arm are allowed to work properly for either printing or writing in cursive. If you hold it any other way, the muscles are all working against each other - leading to difficulties in writing neatly, cramping (short-term) or pain (long-term), and slower writing (making taking notes in school more difficult).

My kid dealt with all of the things you listed. She has extra elasticity in her fine muscles, which made the tripod grip unmanageable, even after years working with a therapist, assorted exercises, specialty grips and other devices. She has a very unusual pencil grip, but manages to do what she needs to do.

For me the pencil rests on the fourth finger and is trapped between the thumb and middle finger. It feels weird resting on my middle finger, the "correct" way. Of course my writing is chicken scratch...

Do you position your hands correctly on the keyboard and strike the correct keys with the correct fingers?

I am right-handed but write like a lefty...and I end up with ink smeared on the medial aspect of my hand every time.

you talk like my wife does...medial, anterior, etc. :)

I do the same as you, if I understand correctly. Your wrist is curled when you write, correct?

I write with my fist balled up, so all four fingers surround the pen/pencil, and my thumb rests on top.
I hold my forknspoon the same way. :covri:

:hihi:

Not quite sure what this means, but I've been told I hold my writing utensil of choice like the "guide" chopstick. Ironically enough, I can't eat with them, but I have great handwriting so I suppose it doesn't matter much.

I'm a lefty.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom