Do you judge a wedding by the food? (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Dubious
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The title is pretty simple. I ask because I attended my cousin's wedding last weekend. It was a short ceremony at St Patrick's followed by a small(ish) reception at a nice uptown venue. There were maybe 50 people.

There was a great little band in an historic building with an open bar. All of my cousins were there from out of town and my grandfather, who is now an elderly 86, had a couple of beers and was saying inappropriate things to the young ladies. The bride insisted we stay at the bar after the official ending time. We obliged and all had way too good of a time into the late hours. In short, it was the best wedding and reception I've been to in a long time.

The next morning I get a call from my father, who wasn't there, saying that he had heard how bad everything was and that he was glad he didn't go. What...the...heck? Then he goes on and on about how he heard the food was terrible, etc. What planet am I on that people are judging someone's wedding celebration on the fact that the gumbo ran thin? I didn't expect much so I ate before the ceremony.

Am I wrong here? I know some of these people travel a ways to get here and are older and need certain comforts. But geeze louise...I thought it was an awesome celebration of family. It was like there were two weddings...one for the 30 somethings and the other for the old fat farts who were worried about getting their money's worth at a free party. :idunno:

Sometimes. The order is 1. Open PREMIUM bar 2. Music 3. Food 4. Venue

I went to a wedding where the open bar was 2 kegs of Busch.
And the bride and groom were long out of high school.

His name wasnt Jay was it????

( good bud in High School- we went to spring break 1987- Ft. Walton- drank so much Busch ( cheap at the time we could afford lol ) he got the name/mountains of the can TATTOOed on his arm lol )

We did beer and wine (I did pick some nice wine though), good food (not amazing), but we had fun people and good enough music (my phone was the DJ, on some speakers I bought for the occasion).

Everyone had a great time. Not a single complaint.

A group of us went to a bar afterwards (I drank water, because I was already toasty). Everyone there had a great time.

Our venue was a school gym we decorated up a bit.

So, I guess it's mostly about the right people, then drinks and food. I barely ate though, wish I had more.

Now my work parties.. I judge them on food, and overall entertainment. The drinks are always top shelf, so that's consistent.

This year, the food was excellent. The music/entertainment was ok, but that's mostly because they've decided to play this stupid musical chairs type game in the middle of the night,then give all the prizes away. The prizes are fun, but the game tacks on too much time and kills the vibe for too long.

But, still a fun time.

Mediocre food at an otherwise good wedding is acceptable.

Good food at a mediocre wedding is memorable.

Good food at a good wedding is commendable.

1. Open bar
2. Hotness of the wedding party's single friends (this one had to be retired in 2005)
3. band
4. food

It depends; the relative importance of food in the wedding ritual is very much a function of culture. As hard as it may be for most Southern Louisianans to believe it, there are cultures out there for whom food is just not all that important.

And then there are others where the social status of the families and their ancestors are tested by the quality and quantity of the food. I first took note of this when one of my best friends from high school got married a couple of years after graduation. Having grown up among families for whom food was very important, the contrast was striking for me: this party had all the liquor you could expect while the food was a few tea sandwiches on Rainbo white bread. The marriage only lasted about 3 years, by the way.

The title is pretty simple. I ask because I attended my cousin's wedding last weekend. It was a short ceremony at St Patrick's followed by a small(ish) reception at a nice uptown venue. There were maybe 50 people.

There was a great little band in an historic building with an open bar. All of my cousins were there from out of town and my grandfather, who is now an elderly 86, had a couple of beers and was saying inappropriate things to the young ladies. The bride insisted we stay at the bar after the official ending time. We obliged and all had way too good of a time into the late hours. In short, it was the best wedding and reception I've been to in a long time.

The next morning I get a call from my father, who wasn't there, saying that he had heard how bad everything was and that he was glad he didn't go. What...the...heck? Then he goes on and on about how he heard the food was terrible, etc. What planet am I on that people are judging someone's wedding celebration on the fact that the gumbo ran thin? I didn't expect much so I ate before the ceremony.

Am I wrong here? I know some of these people travel a ways to get here and are older and need certain comforts. But geeze louise...I thought it was an awesome celebration of family. It was like there were two weddings...one for the 30 somethings and the other for the old fat farts who were worried about getting their money's worth at a free party. :idunno:

Pretty sure I was at the same wedding.

That gumbo was bad.

Overall, the wedding was good though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom