Do you learn more from 'winning' or 'losing'? (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The 2008 NFL (and LSU football) season simply can't come soon enough for me. There simply isn't another sport that tickles my fancy enough to keep me satisfied until Saints football starts again in the late summer months. (Although I'm starting to get a little excited over the Hornets rise to the top! :9: )

Anyway, I still find it hard to believe just how woeful the Saints performed in 2007 as compared to that wonderful 2006 championship season. My only conclusion is that players and coaches around the league seem to learn more on how to win from losing rather than from winning. So many teams seem to work harder as to the things necessary to fix a losing season than to just continue in their winning ways.

Just look at how so many teams lately have sputtered after promising seasons and playoff appearances the previous year, and how often it is that the weaker teams get their act together and make some noise after they lay an egg the previous season. I really think it is more than just the advantage of some earlier draft picks during the off season.

As long as a team and staff can stay 'hungry' for the glory of winning, I think most teams have a chance to make big moves in the right direction from one year to the next. And I think the Saints have many pieces of the puzzle in place already for things to turn around in 2008.

Come On Defense!!! :plus-un2:

As a franchise we've had our share of losing and I dont know what we've really learned except to almost expect it? The few season we actually played well usually was followed up with more losing and in 07 to even find ourselves preseason SB favorites, we manage a 7-9? So I cant say what we have actually learned from success except it making for a more profound disappointment when we fail to build upon it.

Yeah, as a Saints/USMNT/Hornets/FC Dallas fan, I'm like in Grad School for loosing but Kindergarten for winning.

But I am really anxious for this team to get healthy, reloaded, and to start whipping up in 2008....and the first two months of 2009.

To me it's all in perception.

Take the competition for example.
Once we reached the pinnacle every game subsequent was a fight because we took the opponents best shot. The perception was that we were Superbowl contenders. Teams played us that way.

Now lets take a look at our team's season . IMO. They seemed stunned like a sleep walking bunch of taser victims. "How did this happen to us?-- we were guaranteed to be elite". Once they figured out that: to continue to stay on top is much harder than making it up there once, then they got it together.

You can learn as much from winning as you can from losing. That's good too because we've had both with this team. Maybe they'll actually believe it when they say it this time that:
"The most important game of the season is the next one on the schedule".

Here's another good cliche' that the Rams game sums up well: "Any given Sunday".

If those are perceived as tired old cliche's then we might see more of "Grounhog Day"

Last edited:
I think you guys misinterpreted what I meant by the 'you' in the title.

What I meant is: "Does a team (or your team) learn more (about how to do better 'next year') from winning or losing (the year before)?

Whew!

:covri:

Hope that makes more sense. :hihi:

I think you guys misinterpreted what I meant by the 'you' in the title.

What I meant is: "Does a team (or your team) learn more (about how to do better 'next year') from winning or losing (the year before)?

Whew!

:covri:

Hope that makes more sense. :hihi:

misinterpreted??

Last edited:
misinterpreted??

Not you Guitarzan, but the first two comments may not have understood that I was asking if the team learned anything.... NOT if the fans did.

You learn more from neither.

Winning or losing or kissing your sister have nothing to do with how well or how much you or a team learns. Learning always has to do with how intelligent you are, how much you pay attention to the lessons that come your way, and what you do about it. You can learn just as much or just as little from a win or a loss. It all depends on the PEOPLE who run the organization and team and the people who play on the team. Are they capable of admitting mistakes, correcting them, identifying what worked and what didn't. That applies to all members of an organization from the top down, but mainly the leaders -- the owner, the front office, the coaching staff, the quarterback, etc. It's the people and the organization not winning or losing in itself.

I guess you learn more from losing, since in the process of losing, you realize you still need to get better.

Well the 2008 version of the Saints should be a much more experienced squad, as they will have had 3 years for the most part under Payton's regime and have experienced a successful season in '06, and a disappointment in '07.

So in theory they should be able to learn and try to recreate what made them successful in 06, and try to avoid the mistakes that plagued them in 07.

The bite of losing should always spur you on. I know we ended 7-9 & but we were a couple of bum calls away from being a playoff wild card too. I would however fear next season if we dont seem to have learned anything from this one. If we start off 3-5 etc you can pretty much regard it as already done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom