Do you limit your child's video game play? (1 Viewer)

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My son is 11 years old and I feel he is addicted to his Playstation 3. I do not have rigid limits on the amount of time he can play on it....but I feel he plays too much. On cold or rainy days (outside of school), he might play for 7 or 8 hours in the day!

This was not a problem until recently. Once I hooked the PS3 online and he can communicate with friends, it became viral. Before that, he played at what I consider "acceptable" levels.

My son is bright and has little trouble in school. In fact, I think he's downright smart. He participates on the school math team and does very well in all of his subjects.....so it is not really affecting his schoolwork. I don't expect him to read books and solve math problems in his spare time, but I would like to see more of anything but video games.

What limits do you set???

If its not affecting his school, I'd leave him be. If it starts to affect his grades and general responsibilities around the house then step in.

I was your son at 11, video games kept me out of trouble while my friends were getting into fights, some got caught shoplifting and did other stupid things etc.

If its not affecting his school, I'd leave him be. If it starts to affect his grades and general responsibilities around the house then step in.

I was your son at 11, video games kept me out of trouble while my friends were getting into fights, some got caught shoplifting and did other stupid things etc.
I completely disagree. At 11 it is definitely OK for parents to set limits for their kids. 7 to 8 hours of video games is too much IMHO. Saying "well at least he is staying out of trouble", when you think something he is doing is not healthy, is just lazy. Of course, if you actually don't think it's a problem, then of course, let him play.

Maybe if you said for every hour of TV/Video Games he had to do one hour of playing outside/reading then he can play all he wants. I am not saying video games are morally bad. That is up to the parent, but anything that is potentially addictive like sugar/TV/fast food, it is definitely up to the parents to set limits, especially at developmental ages like 11. By 15 or 16 good luck! Lol.

I only limit my kids' video game play when it interferes with mine.

Just get your own PS3 and join in whatever online game he's playing. He'll get tired of it pretty quick

My son when he was home had to do his homework first, then show me to check before he could play. Also, if he got in trouble, or if his grades went below what I would accept, it was taken away completely until it improved. However, he was never a hardcore gamer type of kid, so it was never really a problem.

It depends on the child. My daughter has been gaming since 3. She is 17 and graduating this year and been accepted to college and wants to be a dr. She played volleyball, flag football and finished as the #6 rated female shooter in the state for rifalry.
As long as they are active and exercise i dont think its a problem. And she can whip most boys gaming.

It depends on the child. My daughter has been gaming since 3. She is 17 and graduating this year and been accepted to college and wants to be a dr. She played volleyball, flag football and finished as the #6 rated female shooter in the state for rifalry.
As long as they are active and exercise i dont think its a problem. And she can whip most boys gaming.

Well my daughter just cured AIDS.

I'll say this. I went back into the military over a year ago. I can out sprint a lot of kids in my unit. I am almost twice their age. This should not happen. I think kids need to be running around burning off that energy, then maybe an hour before bed, play whatever game. Just my 0.02.

i let the dude play for an hour or so a day....he has to read for 30 minutes before he can even touch the controller

there are some cases where he can earn more time by helping out around the house

7-8 hours a day?? that's a lot...i don't even play that much and i am a pretty avid gamer

I only limit my kids' video game play when it interferes with mine.

and this ^

I think 3 hours a day would be a good limit, I mean that's 1/8 of an entire day.

Video games are addicting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom