Article Do you remember the Saints’ rookie ‘bucket helmet’? (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1557260578592.png

Every once in a while, we run across a photo in The Times-Picayune archives that begs a simple question: "What in the name of Momus Alexander Morgus is going on in this New Orleans photograph?" When we do, we've decided, we're going to share it -- and to attempt to answer that question.

By Mike Scott, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Date
: July 30, 1981.

Photo credit: Eliot Kamentiz, via The Times-Picayune archive.

What it's not: The Saints' new anti-concussion helmet.

What it is: When George Rogers was drafted first overall by the New Orleans Saints in 1981, he was a big shot. Coming out of the University of South Carolina, he was the nation's leading rusher. He was an All-American. He was the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

Full Story - NOLA.com

Last edited:
I actually contemplated making "buckethead" my handle on here when signing up.

I didn't think enough people remembered the story and would think that buckethead was like my normal nickname or something, so I went with insidejob.

Great post, OP. The only time I ever read about this was in one of those "behind the scenes" Saints books, of which I've probably consumed 90%.

This guy! Smh

Attachments

• 3736A7E3-B9CD-47A7-B622-29AADE092A99.jpeg
    3736A7E3-B9CD-47A7-B622-29AADE092A99.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 5
That was neat. That guy is also the reason I’m a lifelong Saints fan. Thanks for the article share.

"It was the best of his four seasons with the Saints, who traded him to Washington in 1985 for a fifth-, 10th- and 11th-round draft pick. "

:covri:

ETA: The above info is incorrect:

"The Washington Redskins, who have been searching for an established young running back for the past four months, have obtained George Rogers of the New Orleans Saints in exchange for the Redskins' first pick in next Tuesday's National Football League draft, sources said yesterday.

In addition, the deal calls for the Saints to send their fifth-, 10th- and 11th-round picks in the draft to the Redskins. The Redskins' first-round pick is the 24th overall."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...c58-830a-9baded755107/?utm_term=.4bf68e544fc2

And...

just who did the Saints draft with that 1st Round pick???

Alvin Toles!

Last edited:
"It was the best of his four seasons with the Saints, who traded him to Washington in 1985 for a fifth-, 10th- and 11th-round draft pick. "

ETA: The above info is incorrect:

"The Washington Redskins, who have been searching for an established young running back for the past four months, have obtained George Rogers of the New Orleans Saints in exchange for the Redskins' first pick in next Tuesday's National Football League draft, sources said yesterday.

In addition, the deal calls for the Saints to send their fifth-, 10th- and 11th-round picks in the draft to the Redskins. The Redskins' first-round pick is the 24th overall."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...c58-830a-9baded755107/?utm_term=.4bf68e544fc2

And...

just who did the Saints draft with that 1st Round pick???

Alvin Toles!

Moves like that over the course of about 40 years are the reasons why the franchise took so long to be relevant. Toles, a LB out of Tennesee, ended up being mainly a special teams player and was injured at some point during the Mora era, if memory serves, and didn't play again. Played maybe five seasons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom