Do you stop at a flashing yellow light? (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Dubious
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Houma. That's where I learned to drive and was taught the rules of the road. I've always understood that flashing yellow lights means to proceed through an intersection with caution. Why does everyone in New Orleans stop at flashing yellow lights?

Yeah flashing yellows mean proceed with caution, not stop. But after Katrina I saw a few intersections in New Orleans that screwed up and had flashing yellows in all directions so some cars had to stop. Maybe its just stemming from that.

I slow down some. It blows my mind to see other drivers barreling through them as though nothing was there.

Yeah flashing yellows mean proceed with caution, not stop. But after Katrina I saw a few intersections in New Orleans that screwed up and had flashing yellows in all directions so some cars had to stop. Maybe its just stemming from that.

I thought that might be it. But my wife, who learned how to drive in Algiers, told me her mother taught her to stop at flashing yellows because people in New Orleans were expecting you to stop. I was the only one this morning to roll through a flashing yellow on Claiborne. I just don't get it. I'd like to think it's safety concerns or courtesy, but this is the same city that has 5 or 6 cars pass through every red light.

IIRC I've never seen anyone stop at a flashing yellow light.

Then you've clearly never been to BR. :covri:

If a light goes out on Florida Blvd. during work traffic heading home( with the main flow of traffic having flashing yellow and side lanes having flashing red) you can expect atleast an extra 2 hours on your drive.

Seriously.. it sucks to be on the side roads I know, but you know what if they wanted it to be a 4 way freakin' stop they would give the main lains flashing RED lights!

On more than one occassion, a simple flashing yellow light cost me 2 extra hours on my 25 mile commute in BR.

and if it's raining as well.... I might as well look for a local hotel.

I slow down and check both ways, but don't stop. Red means stop, not yellow. On that subject let me tell y'all about what was going on in the horrible place called Lubbock, Texas (my hometown).

Someone there got the bright idea to pass an ordinance stipulating that one must STOP at various yellow lights in the city. One would get a ticket in the mail if the yellow light was driven through. Odd huh ?
Hey Lubbock, wake up ! The rest of the damned planet knows yellow means slow down, exercise caution, or prepare to stop. It was all over the papers and news about how backward that was, but they still maintained it was a great idea despite the growing number of car accidents it caused. Law suit anyone?
Ok, what if you were from out of town and didn't know about the Lubbock city council or whatever deciding the rest of the world is wrong?
You'd get fined, big time. This coming from the town that produces more teen suicides, teen preggos, alcoholics, and drug abusers. Neat place.

Anyway, this "great idea" was finally repealed a couple of months ago. It seems many people from other places were writing to the editor of the paper and spreading the word about how screwed up that place is.

Yellow light: Slow down, exercise caution, prepare to stop.

The only yellow blinking lights I stop at in New Orleans are the ones where I know that it was functioning stoplight before the storm.

Last edited:
People do it up here in Ohio. It drives me nuts. Heck, i caught my wife doing it one day, I had to remind her what the rule is, proceed with caution, its not a stop sign.

I have had two clients who were pulled over for stopping at yellow lights (Nashville, TN). In both cases they failed a BAT.

I slow down to the point of just about stopping at flashing yellows. S I guess I am one of those people y'all can't stand.

I am also one of the lemmings that treats as a 4 way at a busy intersection.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom