Do You Think Bush Is Too Small To Be A Successful Running Back? (1 Viewer)

Defenses put all of their attention on LT his rookie year and he still rushed for 1200 yds, on a terrible chargers team. To me it loks like Reggie is bracing for the hit, when he runs between the tackles. If you are a true playmaker you still produce when the D focuses on stopping you. I can really see Colston becoming a true playmaker.

Problem is he hasn't been able to run between the tackles. Gaps are just filling up when he's on the field. Our offensive line is still learning to play together.

size almost doesn't matter

I believe that a running back either has talent to run or not. There are large backs that can't transition to the NFL and there are small ones that can. Talent matters more than size!

Last edited:
I do not think he's tyoo small...

I also do not think he is breaking enough tackles...

bush is just a rookie who teams double, and triple cover, on his reputation, watch next week , as the ball is snapped, how many D players key on bush, the guy is doing a great job, one day they won't cover him ,and may GOD have mercy on thier team. geaux saints

...Bush is treated differently by defenses than any other back in the league.

That's the truth. Bush has a bulls-eye as big or bigger than any rookie to enter the NFL ever! When he's in the backfield lined up at HB, the entire defense is keyed on him at the snap. If Drew pivots and goes for the hand-off, here comes everybody.

Bush has the talent, but I'm not convinced he has the heart that you see in many of the other successful smaller RB (e.g., Barry Sanders, Dunn). I like the guy, but he's always struck me as a bit of a primadonna...

His problem is not size, it is patience. He is on the beggining of a learning curve.

Just two examples made in this thread: Tiki Barber and Warrick Dunn. They showed flashes in their first year, but it took them time to learn.

We have here a problem of learning (on Reggie) and on perception (on the public). Reggie is doing fine, and if he works hard he will be able to be the runner we are all expecting for him to be.

His problem is not size, it is patience. He is on the beggining of a learning curve.

Just two examples made in this thread: Tiki Barber and Warrick Dunn. They showed flashes in their first year, but it took them time to learn.

We have here a problem of learning (on Reggie) and on perception (on the public). Reggie is doing fine, and if he works hard he will be able to be the runner we are all expecting for him to be.

so you don't think the run blocking could be MUCH, MUCH better?

It could be, but there are holes there. Deuce finds 'em.

IMHO, guillermo is dead-on right. Bush is not too small, just a rookie who has to learn the game because he can't rely on just his talent anymore. Everyone is good and everyone has talent in the NFL.

He'll be OK.

The guy is built like a bodybuilder.Size is definitely not the problem.

Maybe the coaching staff needs to make Bush less of the focal point of the offense and make teams worry about some of these other guys.Let some of these other players open up the game for HIM.

Of course, the run blocking could be and should be more, more better. But once again, I think we all have a problem of perception.

Our offensive line has been better than expected in protecting the quaterback (even yesterday considering the rival), but have not been able to create holes for our runners. That is part of the learning curve of a young unit.

It is easier for them to learn pass protection than to be effective opening holes. I fully trust Marrone on getting the job done on time.

I know that with holes Reggie would be hitting long runs, but still, he should learn to be patient and allow the blocking to develop, specially in counter and trap plays.

It is all a work in process, and we have been fortunate to have big wins, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

He does go down rather easily. Had it not been for Drew Brees, he would be getting smoked in the media right now. When your team is winning all is good. I spoke with my dad yesterday after the game ( He is a huge critic of the Saints) and he told me that he watched the entire game and that if they played today the Saints would win easily. He said that the Ravens won that game on luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom