Do You Think Bush Is Too Small To Be A Successful Running Back? (1 Viewer)

Bush is 5'10 - 5'11 205pds.....he is not to small, but I think when he lines up in the backfield, defenses get an extra hop in there step wanting to be the first to tackle him, also because he was so explosive in college running outside and inside that he really wants to take the ball outside more than inside cause he wants room to manuver, somebody needs to tell him/force him to just take the ball inside and things will eventually open up, i'm telling yall he has that Barry Sanders mentality and soon enough he will bust a long one and its gonna be because he ran it inside...but he is strong, when ray takled him or when anybody tackles him he seems to twist a little to fall forward, he goes down, but not easy, your not just gonna touch him and he will fall, or push him...you do have to tackle him, he's a smart runner he doenst take big hits (like barry) but teams key on stopping reggie in the running game.

I just think he will need time to really produce as a HB. Looks like a young T. Barber to me. I think Dunn is a different story because of the way he is built . In two seasons from now, Bush will produce big time for us as a HB.

PS: ditto post above, he had a nice run today waiting for the hole to develop between the tackles, he was an ankle tackle away from spinning out a big gain.

Last edited:
I think that he needs to study film of Tiki Barber and keep working hard. We have asked alot from him and he needs to change his style a little to be successful.

Hiring Marshal Faulk as the next RB coach would be a way to enhance our investment in Reggie and get him on track. What he would learn from Faulk would propell him to that level.

Clinton Portis and Tiki Barber have almost identical height /weight (5'10, 200)

I tell myself that too but other than his biceps Reggie just looks smaller than those guys.

Tiki looks more powerful. Reggie seems more of the "scatback" type.

He's just a rookie and will get better, but based on what we have seen so far I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn out to be more of a multipurpose role player rather than an everydown back that can carry an offense on his shoulders.

Don't get me wrong...I think this guy is awesome, but, I'm not won over on this guy, yet, as a running back. He seems small and without the strength, like Deuce to grind it out, as it is generally done in the NFL. He seems to be extremely fast, and able to maneuver tackles, but, that is really more appropriate to being a punt or kicker returner, or maybe, as a wide receiver. He has his pluses, but, he doesn't appear to be able to grind it, as said, and it seems like it is easy for the defending team to simply grab his leg(s), and just trip him up in the backfield. Just a concern I've had since the beginning of the season. I've reserved my tongue on saying this, as I've been thinking...let's just give him some time. But, hey, time is passing, and I really haven't seen the running from Bush as I've expected.
no look at faulk he aint big

No. Once the kid learns that he has to hit the hole and not worry about making a big play he'll be a very good running back.

Watch the game tape.... The lanes are there, cut backs are there, he just hasn't been able to find them. You can blame the offensive line all you want, but they manage to open up running lanes just fine for Deuce. I don't want to hear this, Deuce pushes the pile... Deuce has had clean runs all year (I suppose he pushed the pile 53 yards against Tampa?).

I don't know if reggie will ever put it all together. He tries to bounce and stutter too much. Sometimes you just have to hit the hole, and he doesn't seem to be willing to do that. Look at his fumble in the beginning of the game yeasterday. He stopped, completely. I don't know what it is, I hope he learns it soon because he has the talent and the speed.....

Don't make excuses just because he is a Saint. There have been plenty of young runningbacks that have defenses key on them. The difference is they have the vision to eventually make them pay for it. Besides one nice punt return and a handful of catches what has he exactly done? More specifically, look at the last couple of weeks. I hope he breaks out soon cause I can't take too much more of this.

Reggie is in a position that most RBs will never be in because as a rookie he is very effective as a runner and receiver. All the Ravens "D" did nothing but game plan on Reggie and focused on how much they wanted to hurt him. I am shocked to even see a thread like this because this franchise never had a player like a Reggie Brush. The man plays with heart every week for us fans and helped put the saints on the map . Sometimes people forget he is human.

Watch the game tape.... The lanes are there, cut backs are there, he just hasn't been able to find them. You can blame the offensive line all you want, but they manage to open up running lanes just fine for Deuce. I don't want to hear this, Deuce pushes the pile... Deuce has had clean runs all year (I suppose he pushed the pile 53 yards against Tampa?).

I don't know if reggie will ever put it all together. He tries to bounce and stutter too much. Sometimes you just have to hit the hole, and he doesn't seem to be willing to do that. Look at his fumble in the beginning of the game yeasterday. He stopped, completely. I don't know what it is, I hope he learns it soon because he has the talent and the speed.....

Don't make excuses just because he is a Saint. There have been plenty of young runningbacks that have defenses key on them. The difference is they have the vision to eventually make them pay for it. Besides one nice punt return and a handful of catches what has he exactly done? More specifically, look at the last couple of weeks. I hope he breaks out soon cause I can't take too much more of this.

Find how many total yrds he gets a week then calm down.

Find how many total yrds he gets a week then calm down.

How many of those yards have resulted in actual points? Yesterday he accounted for 21 total yards, a fumble and an INT. Week 6 he accounted for 90 total yards.

I am not saying he is crap, I am not saying he is a bust, but he definitly isn't living up to even the slightest of expectations, especially here in the recent weeks. Like I said the lanes are there, he just hasn't been able to find them.

just give him some time...I still don't think he has had the opportunity to show what he's capable of

he's big enough, he's fast enough, and dang it people like him. he needs to hit the holes at full speed just like he did at USC. the problem is he seems to hesitat, for the most part Duece just gets the ball and pounds him self into the line, hole or not. Reggie is a lot like Faulk, he's not going to smash mouth the ball into the line very often but if he can get through hole and find the seam in the secondary he's gone. that is why we got him. he's not an every down back he's a play maker and will develop.

Bush has the talent, but I'm not convinced he has the heart that you see in many of the other successful smaller RB (e.g., Barry Sanders, Dunn). I like the guy, but he's always struck me as a bit of a primadonna...

Well I wouldn't say prima donna, but I sometimes question his toughness. How man solid shots did he take in high school, college even. Hopefully, he can develop that toughness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom