Do You Think Bush Is Too Small To Be A Successful Running Back? (1 Viewer)

No, he's just stoo-pid

No, he's just to friggin' dumb to run straight ahead and not keep thinking he can outrun everyone to the corner. A textbook definition of crazy is "doing the same thing again and again in exactly the same manner and expecting different results." He seems to be pretty slow on the uptake to me.

I have to side with rlemieux on this one. I think there is running room there--NFL running room--but Reggie isn't finding it. I'm also not sold on this development stuff. Guys like Marshall Faulk, Tomlinson, Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders, tore up the league from the get go--and on bad teams. That's the kind of player I thought Reggie would be, the kind of player he looked like at USC. I don't think he's too small, or slow, or weak. I just don't think he's shown the vision, balance and instincts of a great running back. Maybe he's a late bloomer. Maybe he's too geeked up. Maybe he will adjust. I'm just saying I haven't seen it on the field yet and I'd put more of the running load on Deuce. On the plus side--great hands.

I have to side with rlemieux on this one. I think there is running room there--NFL running room--but Reggie isn't finding it. I'm also not sold on this development stuff. Guys like Marshall Faulk, Tomlinson, Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders, tore up the league from the get go--and on bad teams. That's the kind of player I thought Reggie would be, the kind of player he looked like at USC. I don't think he's too small, or slow, or weak. I just don't think he's shown the vision, balance and instincts of a great running back. Maybe he's a late bloomer. Maybe he's too geeked up. Maybe he will adjust. I'm just saying I haven't seen it on the field yet and I'd put more of the running load on Deuce. On the plus side--great hands.

I could not have said it better myself. I remember when Faulk, LT and Moss were rookies, every team put all of their focus in stopping them and yet they still produced on sorry teams.

LoL @ This Thread, Okay so he had one real real horrible game, reggie will prove all you doubters out there, we are only 7 games in, who woulda thought 5-2? we are better off with reggie than any other player in the draft, period.

From CBS Sportsline:

"Bush was the second overall selection in the NFL Draft and could be the best running back to come out of the collegiate ranks in a decade."

I never thought he was going to be what he was hyped to be. He's not the next Gale Sayers or even the next Portis. I'd settle for the next Westbrook. He played in a the weak PAC-2 conference behind a great college O-line who provided massive holes for him. I think the public got snookered on him to a degree. You know you expected 700 yds rushing and 5 TD's by now.

That being said I realize that the Saints O-line is lacking but the great ones produce regardless. Tomlinson and Sanders was the company he was mentioned in prior to the season and we know what they did behind mediocre lines their first year. I'm not sure he'll be a top ten back in this league. And, no, I haven't given up on him, my expectations were always a bit tempered with him.

He's not too small it's just that his speed doesn't stand out in the NFL like it did in college.

LOL, as of this week Reggie Bush has gained 664 total yds and had 1 bad game and we have 7 more weeks before we can judge Reggie Bush. In his freshman year at USC (2003) he went through the same learning curve. Seems like a lot of fans here don't like Bush as a Saint because he didn't get 5 touchdowns...

From CBS Sportsline:

"Bush was the second overall selection in the NFL Draft and could be the best running back to come out of the collegiate ranks in a decade."

I never thought he was going to be what he was hyped to be. He's not the next Gale Sayers or even the next Portis. I'd settle for the next Westbrook. He played in a the weak PAC-2 conference behind a great college O-line who provided massive holes for him. I think the public got snookered on him to a degree. You know you expected 700 yds rushing and 5 TD's by now.

That being said I realize that the Saints O-line is lacking but the great ones produce regardless. Tomlinson and Sanders was the company he was mentioned in prior to the season and we know what they did behind mediocre lines their first year. I'm not sure he'll be a top ten back in this league. And, no, I haven't given up on him, my expectations were always a bit tempered with him.

He's not too small it's just that his speed doesn't stand out in the NFL like it did in college.

Bingo. It's not that Bush wasn't the best pick in this draft for us (though I was tempted to trade out of the spot--not because I had a beef with Bush, but because I think running back's in today's NFL can't carry you to the Super Bowl), it's that he was touted as a once in a decade player, ie the best running back to come into the league since 1996, a group that includes, I think, every other starting running back currently in the league. He's obviously not that. I'm not even sure he's the best rookie running back.

I'll admit up front I thought he'd be a lot better as running back (he's a good receiver). The plays he made at USC were dazzling. They did remind me of Sayers or Marshall Faulk, who both played in even weaker conferences, but still made the adjustment to the NFL quickly. Reggie seems like a quality person, but he also looks frustrated to me. He looks discouraged. I noted after his punt return against Tampa Bay he said several times that he felt he'd gotten "his swagger back." Back? Where did it go in the first place? And when?

I don't think his problem is speed. He seems plenty fast and shifty. I do think it's balance--he gets knocked off his feet too easily. And something else, he either doesn't see the lanes or he's too out of control to hit them. He really, really looks like he's pressing at times. Like he's so determined to live up to his billing that he's playing tight, not letting the game come to him. Frantic, is the word that comes to mind. And very, very hard on himself. In a word, I think he's feeling the pressure.

I hope all this is a bad memory in a few weeks. But if it is, it will be because Reggie has stepped up his game a couple of levels, not because the early observations were wrong.

He's not too small, just a little impatient. I'd like to see them use him on a draw play or two to sort of force him to wait for the holes to open up. I think the second half of the season will be big for him, provided his ankle is healed. Remember, he hurt his ankle in the first week of the season against Cleveland.

Hurricane Katrina Source of Saints' Surge
For Once, Team Has a Legitimate Rallying Point
Jason Whitlock

9. After watching the Saints play the Buccaneers, I’m not convinced Reggie Bush will ever be a dominant running back, the next Marshall Faulk.

Bush strikes me as a better version of Eric Metcalf, a receiver/kick returner/running back. Bush isn’t thick enough to be a great running back. He’s two inches too tall (5-11) and/or 20 pounds too light (203).

When Bush was in college, I saw him as the next Gale Sayers. But Gale Sayers couldn’t be Gale Sayers in today’s NFL. The defensive linemen and linebackers weren’t nearly as athletic and quick in Gale’s day as they are today. It was a total athletic mismatch when Gale went one-on-one or even one-on-two with linemen or linebackers. Gale broke more ankles than he did tackles.

You have to break tackles today, and, in order to break tackles, you have to have thick thighs. There’s not enough meat on Reggie’s bones. He’s averaging 3.1 yards per carry. McAllister is averaging. 4.8.

Now that doesn’t mean Bush can’t be a great player and contributor. He can. The Saints just need to be really creative about getting him the football. Bush leads the league in receptions. If I were the Saints, I’d take it a step further and create a new position for Bush. I wouldn’t want Bush judged by media or fans as a receiver or a running back.

Fantasy Football
I’d call him “3D,” signifying the three dimensions he brings to the offense – running, receiving and returning.

>>Link to article.

By the way he is only 21, he will be a force in the league for a long time to come. One game this season it will all click for him, and then WATCH OUT!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom