Do You Think Bush Is Too Small To Be A Successful Running Back? (1 Viewer)

alon504

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong...I think this guy is awesome, but, I'm not won over on this guy, yet, as a running back. He seems small and without the strength, like Deuce to grind it out, as it is generally done in the NFL. He seems to be extremely fast, and able to maneuver tackles, but, that is really more appropriate to being a punt or kicker returner, or maybe, as a wide receiver. He has his pluses, but, he doesn't appear to be able to grind it, as said, and it seems like it is easy for the defending team to simply grab his leg(s), and just trip him up in the backfield. Just a concern I've had since the beginning of the season. I've reserved my tongue on saying this, as I've been thinking...let's just give him some time. But, hey, time is passing, and I really haven't seen the running from Bush as I've expected.

There are plenty of small running backs in the league that are succesful. Just look at Warrick Dunn. The problem is that the media has hyped Bush up so much that defenses are on a mission to make sure he doesn't go wild on them. Bush is treated differently by defenses than any other back in the league. I think for now the Saints need to use Bush more at receiver than running back for now.

You just opened a can of worms. But, I think you've asked the question that everyone is asking right now. Personally, I'm worried about this. When we all thought he was going to the Texans, I told some buddies of mine who are Texans fans that he is too small and the most you'd get out of him is a few good punt returns, and that he'd get eaten alive by NFL defenses.

That said, I think the decoy days are over, as Reggie doesn't seem to be able to run against NFL defenses. However, his career is just getting started, and I'd like to see the Saints actually scheme to get him some rushing yards... something that hasn't happened yet. Let's see what happens over the course of the season. He's not the featured back... so to pass judgement on his rushing abilities so soon might be a mistake. But, it's a good question nonetheless.

No. He's light in weight but he's well built. He does need to improve his balance some though because he does go down easy sometimes. He's just too talented to not be successful in this league. I didn't expect him to dance in the backfield as much as he has so far this year, but I still think that once he corrects that he'll be a solid runner and still a top threat as a WR out of the backfield. I would just like to see him play more like he did against Atlanta. Hit the hole fast and hard instead of dance around back there.

He's perfect, he just has to figure out how to get through the faster Defenses, He's learning fast that the pro's is TOTALLY DIFFERENT, he's not gonna be able to just zig zag, run backwards and make break through runs on all the teams, so he had to improvise a little and do other things to get his touches.
Im not worried about bush he'll be alright as long as he can stay healthy..

Im worried about the dome versus Reggie though, this is the second time he's been injured at home.

We need an OLine that can runblock. Most of Deuce's yards come from him pushing his way. Every once in a while he breaks a big one, which pads his rushing totals. Bush can't power his way through LBs at this point. This is not even mentioning the fact that most of his runs are outside and he gets tackled or goes OB before he gets to the LOS. We've seen him run decently when he stays between the tackles. Payton needs to just keep him and Deuce between Brown and Stinchcomb.

Don't get me wrong...I think this guy is awesome, but, I'm not won over on this guy, yet, as a running back. He seems small and without the strength, like Deuce to grind it out, as it is generally done in the NFL. He seems to be extremely fast, and able to maneuver tackles, but, that is really more appropriate to being a punt or kicker returner, or maybe, as a wide receiver. He has his pluses, but, he doesn't appear to be able to grind it, as said, and it seems like it is easy for the defending team to simply grab his leg(s), and just trip him up in the backfield. Just a concern I've had since the beginning of the season. I've reserved my tongue on saying this, as I've been thinking...let's just give him some time. But, hey, time is passing, and I really haven't seen the running from Bush as I've expected.

I'm not sure he can be 20-25 carries a game type of back. I thought that when he was drafted and still believe that after seven games.

I have my doubts. The truth is, teams aren't doing anything special for him. They aren't focusing on stopping him. Why would they? He's never torn anyone up with his running. With the same line, Deuce runs the ball much more effectively. Bush DOES look weak when hitting anyone. He seems to go down with a whimper.

Last edited:
Do You Think Bush Is Too Small To Be A Successful Running Back?

Nope....he has the skills to be a great back. I see teams stacking the line when he's in the backfield. He has no breathing room. I'd like to see the Saints use him more in the passing game out of the backfield. I think that would ease up the suffocation he's seeing at the line of scrimmage.

We have a good HC who knows how to draw up plays....I'm not too worried about Reggie's future.

:)

Run forward and be patient young man.

Sometimes I wonder when fans will learn about Xs and Os instead of just see what they see. WR should run an in, but runs and out, QB throws an interception. People immediately say "Who was he throwining to??!!?" Run blocking opens up no holes, so people say "Why isn't the running back doing anything?" Or "is he too small?"

And against the Ravens, I knew that was going to show big time. I still think we're a much better team than them and beat ourselves, but make no mistakes, their run defense is second to none. Deuce and Reggie both had 5 attempts, Deuce got 11, Reggie got 16. Give credit where credit is due.

When the dome patrol in the 90s held Barry Sanders to only 10 yards (one of the most amazing feats in NFL history), I wonder how many people asked "Is Barry Sanders too small?"

Run forward and be patient young man.

There are six gaps across the offensive line. In the rare cases where one has been open, Reggie has went forward and made nice yardage. But those gaps are just being blown up, especially yesterday.

Last edited:
Defenses put all of their attention on LT his rookie year and he still rushed for 1200 yds, on a terrible chargers team. To me it loks like Reggie is bracing for the hit, when he runs between the tackles. If you are a true playmaker you still produce when the D focuses on stopping you. I can really see Colston becoming a true playmaker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom