Poll Do you think Corona Virus stay at home orders should be lifted? (Mod edited title) (1 Viewer)

Should stay at home orders be lifted?

• Yes

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 78 60.9%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters
Not even gonna lie, I've enjoyed not having multiple panhandlers approach me for money during the last few months.

Literally less than 5 have even attempted it.

So for those that think the stay at home orders should continue......until what? As I stated previously, it won't be until July or August that the numbers are at a "safe" level. Do you all really think we should keep the entire economy close for another 90 days?

IMO, a lot of businesses are screwed. A large number of small businesses will not recover. Others will struggle to stay afloat, because folks won't start travelling and eating out like normal (even if stay at home orders are lifted). It will be a dark time economically in the near future IMO. The faster things open and we see the hospitals are gonna be ok....the better. It will give businesses a chance at survival.
I'm not sure why I should care more about the economy and less about people's lives and their health? Even if you're healthy and catch this virus, it will likely affect your lungs for the rest of your life. There are plenty of signs out there besides the 70k deaths that should give people pause, including billion dollars sports leagues who have never done anything that hasn't been in their own financial interest shutting down and the US Military whose lifeblood is enlisting poor people will not accept people who have been hospitalized due to the virus. These are paradigm shifts that are totally out of character for these organizations and with huge implications that no one seems to recognize.

There are steps our country can take to lessen the impact on the economy, but they refuse to do so because it would show everyone that government could actually work for everyone is managed properly. We have 30M+ people filing for unemployment, but no discussion on how to help them make ends meet. Instead, they recklessly encourage people to risk their lives unnecessarily so we can get back to making money for their lobbyists.

I'm not unnecessarily risking my health or the health of my family for those greedy ***holes. You go right ahead, though.

I'm not sure why I should care more about the economy and less about people's lives and their health? Even if you're healthy and catch this virus, it will likely affect your lungs for the rest of your life. There are plenty of signs out there besides the 70k deaths that should give people pause, including billion dollars sports leagues who have never done anything that hasn't been in their own financial interest shutting down and the US Military whose lifeblood is enlisting poor people will not accept people who have been hospitalized due to the virus. These are paradigm shifts that are totally out of character for these organizations and with huge implications that no one seems to recognize.

There are steps our country can take to lessen the impact on the economy, but they refuse to do so because it would show everyone that government could actually work for everyone is managed properly. We have 30M+ people filing for unemployment, but no discussion on how to help them make ends meet. Instead, they recklessly encourage people to risk their lives unnecessarily so we can get back to making money for their lobbyists.

I'm not unnecessarily risking my health or the health of my family for those greedy ***holes. You go right ahead, though.
Man you hit that one on the head. If nothing else this should have shown people just exactly how much the power structure of the United States cares about the health and well being of its population (absolutely zero, we are disposable) and how much this country values making the money for Wall Street. With the amount of money thrown at this, instead of the bail outs, money given to corporate entities, banks and the tax break to millionaires, the government could’ve immediately give cash to people to make sure bills were paid. But no. Now, we are back to yay life is great, go about your life.

What do you mean by lifted? If the question is whether or not we should maintain the current level of social distancing procedures through the country...the answer is no. If the question is whether or not we should lift all social distancing procedures though the country...the country is also no.

What do you mean by lifted? If the question is whether or not we should maintain the current level of social distancing procedures through the country...the answer is no. If the question is whether or not we should lift all social distancing procedures though the country...the country is also no.
The issue now is whether people and businesses will be willing to 'reopen' their lives & livelihoods as designated by the local ordinances put in place during this time. Because if not, it seems the punishment could be rather stiff. :shocked:

The issue now is whether people and businesses will be willing to 'reopen' their lives & livelihoods as designated by the local ordinances put in place during this time. Because if not, it seems the punishment could be rather stiff. :shocked:

stoners gotta eat.

I've been a big advocate for the "open now" movement for a few weeks now. But even if tomorrow everything was wide open, businesses will still suffer. IMO, a large number will not survive. This virus is dangerous enough that it will change folks habits (such as eating out and taking in a movie). Definitely short term, but possibly long term as well. Many businesses rely on volume to make profit.....and the volume may never get back to "normal".

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this whole ordeal will cause massive financial hardships for a lot of the country.

And what are your thoughts on re-tightening restrictions, perhaps on a city or state-wide basis, as we have flare ups and the like?

I fall somewhere in the gray area between "open it up" and "keep it shut down", but I think that's my biggest concern. I fear that the way the situations have been handled, some places moreso than others, will lead to it being almost impossible to re-tighten if needed. Either because politically it's a death sentence, or because the population just wouldn't have it. I think a lot of that was avoidable.

And what are your thoughts on re-tightening restrictions, perhaps on a city or state-wide basis, as we have flare ups and the like?

I fall somewhere in the gray area between "open it up" and "keep it shut down", but I think that's my biggest concern. I fear that the way the situations have been handled, some places moreso than others, will lead to it being almost impossible to re-tighten if needed. Either because politically it's a death sentence, or because the population just wouldn't have it. I think a lot of that was avoidable.

I saw go low and go slow. Watch the trends and use those trends to carefully move to the next phase. I would be opposed to immediately "opening up" everything. Right now, my region has opened the beaches (with restrictions), opened restaurants (with restrictions), and opened less essential services (salons, etc) with restrictions. Continue to recommend social distancing practices...some will and some won't comply. It's a big step. Watch it over a 3 week period...by then you will have a sense of what's happening. If things are continuing to hold up, the incidence is holding steady and we aren't at risk at collapsing the medical infrastructure, you move toward your next phase. If the trends are pointing in the wrong direction, then you hold the course and wait for the incidence to reduce. You can't sweat the day to day variations of this thing. You keep focused on the trends and at the outcome measures that mean the most to you. For me...I care less about incidence and mortality, and more on screening capabilities and ED/ICU utilization. Death is sad...but many deaths are going to be completely unavoidable, even if we put the country on lockdown. I'm more interested in seeing that we have the resources to care of the sick and that folks that SHOULDN'T be dying from this disease, don't die. I know...I'm grotesque. I should care about every life...and I do...but I've been around death long enough that you can't win them all.

The initial 6 wk order was correct. However, based on my experience the open in phases has been working. Ive been back working in the office for two weeks now (25% workforce then 50% this week). Our temp is taken before we enter the garage and we are adhering to the social distance and there are hand sanitizer at every door.
If employers are following the guidelines then I really dont see any issues. Obviously, there will be challenges but as long as people who feel sick stay home then you have to resume some sense of normalcy.
However, I do believe its going to be a long painful road to recovery. If people believe the economy is going to be back to pre virus levels by December they are fooling themselves. I tend to think that we have yet to see the full impact of 20plus million unemployed. Ive seen 15% to 30% projected to remain unemployed for longer than 12 months. Service industry workers will make up the majority but other industries will start seeing it hit soon also. Factory orders, construction, manufacturing all are going to feel this one for some time.
Good luck to us all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom