Poll Do you think Corona Virus stay at home orders should be lifted? (Mod edited title) (1 Viewer)

Should stay at home orders be lifted?

• Yes

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 78 60.9%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters
It's going to be a disaster by me. I'm on the Indiana/Illinois border. People from Illinois shop here because Cook County taxes groceries and Indiana does not. And Indiana sales tax for other goods and services is 7% and Cook County sales tax is 8% and Chicago is 9.25%.

People from there already flock to Indiana. Illinois reported 2,253 newcases yesterday. They're not close to flattening the curve. It's no coincidence that Lake County Indiana has the 2nd most infections in the state.

If we open things up here we're in trouble.

There’s no way “out” of this mess; the only realistic option is to try and protect the most vulnerable, let people out, trust your fellow citizens and business to act responsibly, and trying to stave off the worst Depression in the history of the country.

I mean, you just pointed out that those protestors are not staying six feet apart and I didn't see much in the way of masks either. Why would anyone trust their fellow citizens (or businesses which are just our fellow citizens anyway) to act responsibly? Humans have never show the ability as a group to act responsibly.

And as a more general point, opening certainly does mean accepting that doing so will sacrifice some lives for the economy. We do it all the time with other things (cars, alcohol, etc.), and I don't see the point in trying to whitewash this and pretend that we aren't making a calculus regarding how many lives are few enough that we are okay with it.

I mean, you just pointed out that those protestors are not staying six feet apart and I didn't see much in the way of masks either. Why would anyone trust their fellow citizens (or businesses which are just our fellow citizens anyway) to act responsibly? Humans have never show the ability as a group to act responsibly.

And as a more general point, opening certainly does mean accepting that doing so will sacrifice some lives for the economy. We do it all the time with other things, but I don't see the point in trying to whitewash this an pretend that we aren't making a calculus regarding how many lives are few enough that we are okay with it.

1. Those people should be wearing masks and social distancing. But that’s a couple hundred people in a county of a million. I’m not sure how things are going where you are but here the overwhelming majority of people are really trying. IMO that’s the best we can hope for.

2. we don’t have a choice except to trust people. There’s no other way through this.

Completely agree with your second point. I just meant to say that anyone who says people in support of opening now doesn’t care about people dying or is fine with it so long as they get a haircut is full of it.

1. Those people should be wearing masks and social distancing. But that’s a couple hundred people in a county of a million. I’m not sure how things are going where you are but here the overwhelming majority of people are really trying. IMO that’s the best we can hope for.

I see some people trying but probably not close to a majority and that will only get worse as stay at home orders are lifted.

Completely agree with your second point. I just meant to say that anyone who says people in support of opening now doesn’t care about people dying or is fine with it so long as they get a haircut is full of it.

I agree with this. I don't think all of the people who want to open are just callous to the loss of life, although some are. But I think the majority who really want to open want to open for fear of not being able to feed, clothe, and shelter their families. Which to be sure has a cost just like the loss of life is a cost.

There are no easy answers here. Either way people are getting hurt in different ways. But, we have to try to chart a middle path that allows people to make a living and doesn't allow too many deaths. Part of that calculus IMO is for the Feds to step in with another better stimulus so that we don't have to rush to open, but I don't think that's going to happen. The other part would be for people to practice common sense, but as antipop noted, that's not likely to happen.

the right thing to do would be for people to use common sense...but the majority of the population clearly lacks anything resembling common sense so we probably need to have something in place
It should depend on your location, current conditions, and testing regime that is available. Places with low COVID-19 infection rates, with a robust testing capability in place should be able to start easing restrictions.

Agree with both...folks around the DC metro area (with a few exceptions) seem to be taking this rather seriously. Which is good, but I'm not confident that the testing capability is there to handle any spikes that could occur at this point....

There should be general guidance on the federal and state level with the primary policies being decided by individual cities and/or counties. This is a situation where things can be completely different 20 miles apart.

Austin should stay locked down for another week or too. The low-incidence rural areas around it would probably be fine completely re-opening (not advocating that, just saying).

It should depend on your location, current conditions, and testing regime that is available. Places with low COVID-19 infection rates, with a robust testing capability in place should be able to start easing restrictions.

Is that the place that's on the darkside of the sun?

Just as the Federal Government gave a guideline, a pretty thorough plan, then left it up to each state to open accordingly, our Governor should let each parish or district decide. If 50 of our parishes have more than exceeded Phase 1 requirements, we shouldn't have to suffer because New Orleans has poor leadership.

The entire purpose of the lockdown was to ensure hospitals did not get overrun. Hospitals across the state (and country) are at 15% capacity, damn near bankrupt, and laying people off. There are a few countries such as the Netherlands and Switzerland that are allowing children to go back to school, as data and testing have shown risk is pretty much nil for children under 10. There are numerous studies around the country and around the globe that have shown many millions of people have had Covid19 and were never aware of the fact. Almost all the data universally shows those who have the worst symptoms and require hospitalization - the overwhelming majority, in the 90% range - are the elderly and those with severely compromised immune systems / underlying conditions. A recent study found that 3,300 prison inmates across 4 states tested positive for Covid19, and 96% never had any symptoms. A study in Minnesota showed that 99.2% of all their covid19 deaths were due to underlying conditions (71% were deaths in nursing homes).

Almost every study I've seen in the last month, from all around the world, unanimously show that Covid19 is nowhere close to the pandemic it has been reported to be, that Millions more people have had it and were none the wiser, and that the mortality rate is a hell of a lot closer to seasonal flu.

So yes, this lockdown needs to be lifted ASAP because we are killing our economy for a risk that isn't much greater than the flu. And now that hospitals are going broke and nowhere near capacity, the narrative is changing from "we are doing this so hospitals don't get overrun" to "we shouldn't go back to 'normal' until there is a vaccine". Simply, everyone is aware of Covid19, everyone is washing their hands, and we don't need to remain in lockdown.

One more thing - the idiotic masks the CDC recommends (after a month of saying don't because we need those masks for those on the frontline) will not prevent you from getting Covid19. Unless it is an ANSI certified N95 mask that can block particles smaller than 100 microns, the only thing it is doing is making the wearer feel safer; in fact, it puts them in more danger as when wearing masks, you touch your face a lot more often than when not. Surgical masks do not filter Covid19, and was proven that medical workers who wore surgical masks (not N95) put themselves more at risk and contracted Covid19 at a higher rate than those who did not wear those masks. The point is that when we are allowed to go places that have been shutdown, scientifically and medically, any mask other than one that can block smaller particles, does nothing to protect anyone from Covid19, so requiring it is for aesthetics only.

Now, despite every study from CA to NY to FL to Europe and abroad that proves millions upon millions of people have had Covid19 and never a symptom (their immune system dealt with it the same way it deals with seasonal cold/flu/virus), despite the fact that the overwhelming % of the population under the age of 60 really have a fatality rate smaller than seasonal flu, despite the actual reality being exponentially smaller than all the models, and despite almost every parish in LA meeting the phase 1 requirements, our governor insists on continuing this lockdown, and cites Germany as his cautionary example.

Open it up. If you have underlying medical conditions, a compromised immune system, or are elderly and concerned - self quarantine. Everyone else be a responsible adult. We don't need the government locking us down to know we need to wash our hands and stay home if we feel we may be sick. We don't need to kill every small business and the economy in order to keep everyone from catching something that most people never develop a symptom for when they have it.

You would think so, but in Louisiana places like New Orleans and Jefferson have been doing great while places like West Feliciana and West Carroll have seen either a rise in cases or no decrease.

And, the Governor said the below today:

I'm beginning to wonder if he will refuse to lift the stay at home order on May 15 too. It appears that some have already lifted it themselves and cases are going up.

The West Feliciana increase is almost all in the prison. I think they've had something like less than 10 people in the regular population test positive in the last week... something low like that that shocked me when i heard their representative explain why he is opening things on the radio.

Just as the Federal Government gave a guideline, a pretty thorough plan, then left it up to each state to open accordingly, our Governor should let each parish or district decide. If 50 of our parishes have more than exceeded Phase 1 requirements, we shouldn't have to suffer because New Orleans has poor leadership.

The entire purpose of the lockdown was to ensure hospitals did not get overrun. Hospitals across the state (and country) are at 15% capacity, damn near bankrupt, and laying people off. There are a few countries such as the Netherlands and Switzerland that are allowing children to go back to school, as data and testing have shown risk is pretty much nil for children under 10. There are numerous studies around the country and around the globe that have shown many millions of people have had Covid19 and were never aware of the fact. Almost all the data universally shows those who have the worst symptoms and require hospitalization - the overwhelming majority, in the 90% range - are the elderly and those with severely compromised immune systems / underlying conditions. A recent study found that 3,300 prison inmates across 4 states tested positive for Covid19, and 96% never had any symptoms. A study in Minnesota showed that 99.2% of all their covid19 deaths were due to underlying conditions (71% were deaths in nursing homes).

Almost every study I've seen in the last month, from all around the world, unanimously show that Covid19 is nowhere close to the pandemic it has been reported to be, that Millions more people have had it and were none the wiser, and that the mortality rate is a hell of a lot closer to seasonal flu.

So yes, this lockdown needs to be lifted ASAP because we are killing our economy for a risk that isn't much greater than the flu. And now that hospitals are going broke and nowhere near capacity, the narrative is changing from "we are doing this so hospitals don't get overrun" to "we shouldn't go back to 'normal' until there is a vaccine". Simply, everyone is aware of Covid19, everyone is washing their hands, and we don't need to remain in lockdown.

One more thing - the idiotic masks the CDC recommends (after a month of saying don't because we need those masks for those on the frontline) will not prevent you from getting Covid19. Unless it is an ANSI certified N95 mask that can block particles smaller than 100 microns, the only thing it is doing is making the wearer feel safer; in fact, it puts them in more danger as when wearing masks, you touch your face a lot more often than when not. Surgical masks do not filter Covid19, and was proven that medical workers who wore surgical masks (not N95) put themselves more at risk and contracted Covid19 at a higher rate than those who did not wear those masks. The point is that when we are allowed to go places that have been shutdown, scientifically and medically, any mask other than one that can block smaller particles, does nothing to protect anyone from Covid19, so requiring it is for aesthetics only.

Now, despite every study from CA to NY to FL to Europe and abroad that proves millions upon millions of people have had Covid19 and never a symptom (their immune system dealt with it the same way it deals with seasonal cold/flu/virus), despite the fact that the overwhelming % of the population under the age of 60 really have a fatality rate smaller than seasonal flu, despite the actual reality being exponentially smaller than all the models, and despite almost every parish in LA meeting the phase 1 requirements, our governor insists on continuing this lockdown, and cites Germany as his cautionary example.

Open it up. If you have underlying medical conditions, a compromised immune system, or are elderly and concerned - self quarantine. Everyone else be a responsible adult. We don't need the government locking us down to know we need to wash our hands and stay home if we feel we may be sick. We don't need to kill every small business and the economy in order to keep everyone from catching something that most people never develop a symptom for when they have it.

This.

Right now, the only reason they're being lifted is because of money. America has a few decades of evidence as to why it's not smart to make health decisions based on profits. What exactly has changed from when the restrictions were put into place other than grown adults just want to not be cooped up in their homes?

While there lots of frustrated and/or politically motivated people that want to lift restrictions for dumb reasons there are also people waiting on 'elective' surgeries that will eventually become non-elective or create other health problems, people that could very easily operate their business with social distancing but are forced to close, people that want to advance careers that need additional training that can't get it, parents that would like to do something nice for graduating children, etc.

Money is not the only reason (though I guess you could tie anything back to money).

Personally we have some very personal reasons -- to try to give my daughter some type of celebration for her senior year and also have deep concerns for the small biz and/or sole proprietors that are shut down - my wife gets her hair cut by a single mom who has a kid going to college. We've been sending her a few bucks just to make sure she's not forced to pull her kid from school. It's an inconvenience for my wife, its a near death blow for her stylist.

Orleans Parish checks all the boxes in the reopening guidelines. We should be starting a phased reopening but instead are doubling down. Meanwhile JP is allowing curbside delivery for Lakeside Mall - so Orleans residents on lockdown will just do even more business in JP while neighborhood stores are closed. Dumb.

Last edited:

New Orleans doesn't have more Covid because it's poorly managed. It has more infections because it's the only place in our state most people would ever want to go. I'm sure you've heard of Mardi Gras.

Anyway, I think you're missing the point of masks.95443422_4158215307529502_2867131132414001152_n.jpg

New Orleans doesn't have more Covid because it's poorly managed. It has more infections because it's the only place in our state most people would ever want to go. I'm sure you've heard of Mardi Gras.

Anyway, I think you're missing the point of masks.95443422_4158215307529502_2867131132414001152_n.jpg

When someone insists on living in fantasy land, at some point you just gotta let them live there. I think it applies in this case. If he wants to get peed on, well, not much I can say to that.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom