Do you think Jerry Jones will go for Payton after the Tuna retires? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Reading about how Payton developed Romo and Jones' love for more offense, I really think that he will make the move to get our coach in a year or two.

I doubt he will go for a retread like Gruden or another even older head coach nor will he go for a coordinator type. College head coaches have proven to be a bad choice also. He will most likely go for the proven winner he has a relationship with.

Here is saying I hope Payton stays put and creates his legacy here in New Orleans.

Can't. Can't get let out of your contract for a lateral move. That's why the Bucs had to trade all of those draft picks to get Gruden...and even that is frowned on by the NFL.

He could be made asst GM/Head Coach! Just stating the facts...

He could be made asst GM/Head Coach! Just stating the facts...

Jerry Jones is the Cowboys GM, I seriously doubt the NFL's front office would look too kindly on this kind of sham move. The NFL FO wasn't exactly thrilled with the Gruden to Tampa deal. Goodell would probably step in if Jones tried to pull this stunt (trying to prevent the NFL from getting a PR black eye for allowing the rich Cowboys' owner to steal the Saints' HC with a false title). Also the Saints would probably be willing to give Payton the sham Asst. GM title as well.......

Why would you go work for a control-freak owner who wants to play GM? It's a no-win situation: If you win, it's his win, if you lose, it's your loss.

Why would you go work for a control-freak owner who wants to play GM? It's a no-win situation: If you win, it's his win, if you lose, it's your loss.

No kidding, it would be a no brainer to go with the owner that has a much better track record of winning and long term coaches.

Payton is building his own team and his own relationship with the New Orleans fans, who are, redundant to say, deeply enamored of him, and for very good reason. He also sort of has a relationship with the city at this point--people talking to him about what the team means to New Orleans, and the dinners at Emeril's. And whatever there is to say about Benson, he does not have a history of forcing his choices onto his head coach and otherwise interfering with the coaching.

Back in Dallas, Payton has a meddlesome owner and fans that think they are entitled to Super Bowls instead of being grateful for what the team is doing for the city.

Payton's a smart guy, and I think he would stay put, with probably a pay raise and a contract extension as a result of Dallas's interest.

The other thing is, I think Payton truly understands and believes in this team and the fact that it has a mission beyond football in helping to lift up the spirits of the people of New Orleans. He seems to enjoy that part of it, and for that reason alone, I don't think he would go anywhere.

Last edited:
I just hope Saints keep playing well.

Payton in his first year reminds me a lot of how much we all fell in love with Haslett in his first year. I hope it doesn't turn into that situation again.

Payton is building his own team and his own relationship with the New Orleans fans, who are, redundant to say, deeply enamored of him, and for very good reason. He also sort of has a relationship with the city at this point--people talking to him about what the team means to New Orleans, and the dinners at Emeril's. And whatever there is to say about Benson, he does not have a history of forcing his choices onto his head coach and otherwise interfering with the coaching.

Back in Dallas, Payton has a meddlesome owner and fans that think they are entitled to Super Bowls instead of being grateful for what the team is doing for the city.

Payton's a smart guy, and I think he would stay put, with probably a pay raise and a contract extension as a result of Dallas's interest.

The other thing is, I think Payton truly understands and believes in this team and the fact that it has a mission beyond football in helping to lift up the spirits of the people of New Orleans. He seems to enjoy that part of it, and for that reason alone, I don't think he would go anywhere.

You bet he feels this way. I had the opportunity to meet him before the season started and he was asking us all sorts of questions about the area, how certain areas were coming along, etc. He was genuinely concerned and at the same time excited to be a part of the city's rebuilding process.

You bet he feels this way. I had the opportunity to meet him before the season started and he was asking us all sorts of questions about the area, how certain areas were coming along, etc. He was genuinely concerned and at the same time excited to be a part of the city's rebuilding process.

I agree. I think it's more than football in mind to Sean Peyton. I think he is genuinely concerned for the people of New Orleans. I beleive he feels that these people deserve something good and positive in their lives, and I think he is doing an outstanding job of bringing happiness to all of the Saints fans. I don't beleive he would go back to Dallas. I think he has found the place he belongs. Go Saints!

It would kill me to see that. Anything's possible. Hell, I never thought I'd see Parcell's coach the Girls. From what I've heard, Payton was a strong possibility to replace Parcells when he departs. I'm praying that doesn't happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom