Saints Do you think Payton Turner has the juice to be a hidden gem 🤔. Lets see (merged) (1 Viewer)

Whodat GT

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
People are knocking him because of his upright stance... remember he only has like one year of experience playing DE at a high level. He played as a DT before that. So he still has everything to learn. And the person that will teach him fundamentals will be Nielsen.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Damn near carbon copy of Davenport, even down to the injury history. He’s got longer arms. It’s somethin I guess. Boom or bust in my opinion. He won’t be average.

He's a lot quicker than Davenport based on his 3 cone and short shuttle numbers. He also gives more effort and loves the game unlike Davenport. Beyond that, Turner is still a bit raw, but he has a lot more technique than Davenport had when he was drafted.

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. Dav might not have filled the stat sheet, but just by merely watching the games you could tell the difference in the D-lines ability to pressure the Qb.

With that post you presented actual data.

I think Turner is going to put in some serious work this spring and summer. Him along with Dav, Grandy, and Cam are going to be extremely disruptive against opposing QBs
He ranked up a ton pressure, but he got hit with an undisclosed injury late. Then, he fell off again while playing through it all.

He's a pressure monster/line bender when he's healthy.

The problem is that he's never healthy. I hope he can get right, but he gotta develop more skill. He's all physical talent and if he gets hit with any speed bump. He becomes a none factor.

Im rooting for him big time. He's so close on breaking through and being a dominant player.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Covid is NOT an injury. He missed TWO games.

That's interesting. I keep hearing things like he had 5 sacks in just 5 games last year. I'm pretty sure in his interview he said he had 5 sacks in 3 1/2 games or 4 1/2 games so either Houston had some games canceled or we just aren't counting games he didn't have sacks in.

DeuceMcAllisterFan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
That's interesting. I keep hearing things like he had 5 sacks in just 5 games last year. I'm pretty sure in his interview he said he had 5 sacks in 3 1/2 games or 4 1/2 games so either Houston had some games canceled or we just aren't counting games he didn't have sacks in.
5 games as in the number of games he actually played in this past season. The Houston season consisted of 8 games.

Reaction score
Speaking of merging, if the Saints could find a way to merge Turner and Davenport into one raw project with freak size and speed, they'd finally have their DE2.

But hopefully Turner is the man. I also hope Hendrickson has a decade of pro-bowl seasons ahead of him. I loved that dude and he'll be missed.

Reaction score
I believe he said he had limited snaps when he got back from the Covid list. That's where he got less than 5 games from.

Houston played 8 games, he missed 3, and had limited snaps for 1 or 2

Last edited:
Reaction score
This kinda stuff could get quickly stamped out by a 10 second google search. Houston only played eight games last season.

cant

Rookie
Reaction score
I for one am very excited about Turner. DE is always important and he has all the tools to live up to the hype we gave Davenport. Excited to watch him develop. My favorite thing about him is he actually loves football

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I for one am very excited about Turner. DE is always important and he has all the tools to live up to the hype we gave Davenport. Excited to watch him develop. My favorite thing about him is he actually loves football
I'm excited to see what he can do also!

On another note, I love football too, but you don't want me at DE. I would probably be killed on the first play.

perret318

Runnin like a road lizard
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He and I are built pretty similar. Roughly the same number of arms and legs, same nipple locations. Pretty close, really.

Reaction score
People forget how much Davenport cool-aid people were drinking after he was drafted. "The next DeMarcus Ware"!!!

Randy Jones

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Davenport is a monster, freak of an athlete. To be so physically and athletically similar is not a bad thing. The problem is, Davenport has been slower to develop, partly due to staying nicked up here and there. If this guy can develop a little quicker, that would be awesome. The door is still not closed on Davenport. I imagine a world where both of these guys live up to their full potential, and become an absolute nightmare for QBs. Here's to hoping. I at least hope one of them turns into a nightmare for QBs.
The lisfranc injury to his foot was almost career ending and slowed his development by a year. It’s kind of a freak injury. It affected the foot he pushes off with and there were doubts he could ever play on the weak side again because of it. Prognosis as I remember was a full year to completely heal.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This kinda stuff could get quickly stamped out by a 10 second google search. Houston only played eight games last season.

Well for all of my life when someone says a player only played 5 games in a year it's never been the case that teams had games canceled so I didn't even think about the possibility until this thread. It's probably something the TV and radio people should be mentioning when they report it. But you also have to be careful because google only shows you six games with a "see more" option and when you click that it will show you 10 games including some 2019 games.

Rdanderson91

Krispy Kreme
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just don’t see the Davenport comparison at all besides their size
It’s that and the fact that they are both raw prospects who are “growing into their body” for me. They definitely have different styles of play. Davenport is a speed rusher while Turner is a power rusher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread