Saints Do you think Payton Turner has the juice to be a hidden gem 🤔. Lets see (merged) (3 Viewers)

Hidden gem? We’re talking first rounder, should be nothing hidden about it. I trust the scouts and coaches until proven otherwise. I expect him to play like a late first round / early second talent.

His motor and attitude I like more than when davenport came in to
That’s the first difference that stood out to me. Not to take anything away from Davenports motor, but this guys attitude just jumps out differently.

Then he missed pro day with Turf Toe. But that’s fair. I thought it was more games that he missed in his sophomore year than just two.
Lol that’s a pro day, not a game, doesn’t count.

People are knocking him because of his upright stance... remember he only has like one year of experience playing DE at a high level. He played as a DT before that. So he still has everything to learn. And the person that will teach him fundamentals will be Nielsen.

Damn near carbon copy of Davenport, even down to the injury history. He’s got longer arms. It’s somethin I guess. Boom or bust in my opinion. He won’t be average.

He's a lot quicker than Davenport based on his 3 cone and short shuttle numbers. He also gives more effort and loves the game unlike Davenport. Beyond that, Turner is still a bit raw, but he has a lot more technique than Davenport had when he was drafted.

Thank you. Dav might not have filled the stat sheet, but just by merely watching the games you could tell the difference in the D-lines ability to pressure the Qb.

With that post you presented actual data.

I think Turner is going to put in some serious work this spring and summer. Him along with Dav, Grandy, and Cam are going to be extremely disruptive against opposing QBs
He ranked up a ton pressure, but he got hit with an undisclosed injury late. Then, he fell off again while playing through it all.

He's a pressure monster/line bender when he's healthy.

The problem is that he's never healthy. I hope he can get right, but he gotta develop more skill. He's all physical talent and if he gets hit with any speed bump. He becomes a none factor.

Im rooting for him big time. He's so close on breaking through and being a dominant player.

Covid is NOT an injury. He missed TWO games.

That's interesting. I keep hearing things like he had 5 sacks in just 5 games last year. I'm pretty sure in his interview he said he had 5 sacks in 3 1/2 games or 4 1/2 games so either Houston had some games canceled or we just aren't counting games he didn't have sacks in.

That's interesting. I keep hearing things like he had 5 sacks in just 5 games last year. I'm pretty sure in his interview he said he had 5 sacks in 3 1/2 games or 4 1/2 games so either Houston had some games canceled or we just aren't counting games he didn't have sacks in.
5 games as in the number of games he actually played in this past season. The Houston season consisted of 8 games.

Speaking of merging, if the Saints could find a way to merge Turner and Davenport into one raw project with freak size and speed, they'd finally have their DE2.

But hopefully Turner is the man. I also hope Hendrickson has a decade of pro-bowl seasons ahead of him. I loved that dude and he'll be missed.

I believe he said he had limited snaps when he got back from the Covid list. That's where he got less than 5 games from.

Houston played 8 games, he missed 3, and had limited snaps for 1 or 2

Last edited:
This kinda stuff could get quickly stamped out by a 10 second google search. Houston only played eight games last season.

I for one am very excited about Turner. DE is always important and he has all the tools to live up to the hype we gave Davenport. Excited to watch him develop. My favorite thing about him is he actually loves football

I for one am very excited about Turner. DE is always important and he has all the tools to live up to the hype we gave Davenport. Excited to watch him develop. My favorite thing about him is he actually loves football
I'm excited to see what he can do also!

On another note, I love football too, but you don't want me at DE. I would probably be killed on the first play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom