Saints Do you think Payton Turner has the juice to be a hidden gem 🤔. Lets see (merged) (2 Viewers)

People forget how much Davenport cool-aid people were drinking after he was drafted. "The next DeMarcus Ware"!!!

Davenport is a monster, freak of an athlete. To be so physically and athletically similar is not a bad thing. The problem is, Davenport has been slower to develop, partly due to staying nicked up here and there. If this guy can develop a little quicker, that would be awesome. The door is still not closed on Davenport. I imagine a world where both of these guys live up to their full potential, and become an absolute nightmare for QBs. Here's to hoping. I at least hope one of them turns into a nightmare for QBs.
The lisfranc injury to his foot was almost career ending and slowed his development by a year. It’s kind of a freak injury. It affected the foot he pushes off with and there were doubts he could ever play on the weak side again because of it. Prognosis as I remember was a full year to completely heal.

This kinda stuff could get quickly stamped out by a 10 second google search. Houston only played eight games last season.

Well for all of my life when someone says a player only played 5 games in a year it's never been the case that teams had games canceled so I didn't even think about the possibility until this thread. It's probably something the TV and radio people should be mentioning when they report it. But you also have to be careful because google only shows you six games with a "see more" option and when you click that it will show you 10 games including some 2019 games.

I just don’t see the Davenport comparison at all besides their size
It’s that and the fact that they are both raw prospects who are “growing into their body” for me. They definitely have different styles of play. Davenport is a speed rusher while Turner is a power rusher.

Lol that’s a pro day, not a game, doesn’t count.
It’s still an injury my man. I know every single player deals with injuries at some point. I’ll admit I misunderstood some of the reports I was reading on him. I did not research enough. I read “missed the rest of his sophomore season to injury” and assumed it was 6+ games. Did not know it was only 2. Then I read that he missed half the season in his senior year. Did not mention Covid lol. So that’s my fault for assuming.

Longtime posters are turning themselves into trolls with their reaction to this draft class. Two words: relax, breathe 🧘🏽‍♂️
Fair enough. For what it’s worth, I like this draft class. Probably more than most, since everyone else is trashing it. 100% was not trying to troll I promise haha

It’s still an injury my man. I know every single player deals with injuries at some point. I’ll admit I misunderstood some of the reports I was reading on him. I did not research enough. I read “missed the rest of his sophomore season to injury” and assumed it was 6+ games. Did not know it was only 2. Then I read that he missed half the season in his senior year. Did not mention Covid lol. So that’s my fault for assuming.
Lol yeah it’s still an injury but it’s not the same, players get hurt during the season and will miss practices SO they don’t miss the games and there on. You can’t discredit a player missing a game for intact not missing a game. If that’s the case Brees who basically never missed a game for us must be injury prone since he missed a few practices.

doesnt count my man

It’s that and the fact that they are both raw prospects who are “growing into their body” for me. They definitely have different styles of play. Davenport is a speed rusher while Turner is a power rusher.
Exactly, similar size. Long arms, but turner wins with agility, bend, and great hand fighting, dav wins with either straight line speed or bullrush

Exactly, similar size. Long arms, but turner wins with agility, bend, and great hand fighting, dav wins with either straight line speed or bullrush
From every report I’ve read so far, Turner does not have the bend you’d want from a RDE. Everything I’ve read says he wins with power like a LDE. I know he’s got the size to slide inside, but my immediate thought it Cam Jordan replacement for when he hangs it up. What say you?

From every report I’ve read so far, Turner does not have the bend you’d want from a RDE. Everything I’ve read says he wins with power like a LDE. I know he’s got the size to slide inside, but my immediate thought it Cam Jordan replacement for when he hangs it up
Bad reports then, probably by the same people who said coming out of the draft that cam Jordan will never be a good pass rusher. Most those guys don’t know what they’re talking about. Watching the film myself most of the times turner got to the QB it was because of his agility and hand usage and length, I did not see a ton of bull rushing from him

good club, rip, and swim moves and good at getting skinny to get past blockers

Bad reports then, probably by the same people who said coming out of the draft that cam Jordan will never be a good pass rusher. Most those guys don’t know what they’re talking about. Watching the film myself most of the times turner got to the QB it was because of his agility and hand usage and length, I did not see a ton of bull rushing from him

good club, rip, and swim moves and good at getting skinny to get past blockers
Good stuff. Thanks man.

do you see him as a LDE or RDE?

also, tell me if I’m correct is this assessment. In a 4-3 defense, RDEs are normally more athletic, speed rushers due to LTs being the blind side blocker and thus the best Olinemen on the team. And LDEs are normally bull rushers because RTs are stronger and not normally as athletically gifted as LTs.

Good stuff. Thanks man.

do you see him as a LDE or RDE?

also, tell me if I’m correct is this assessment. In a 4-3 defense, RDEs are normally more athletic, speed rushers due to LTs being the blind side blocker and thus the best Olinemen on the team. And LDEs are normally bull rushers because RTs are stronger and not normally as athletically gifted as LTs.
I think he has both the size and athleticism to play either side, which is a great thing that way whoever is his bookend DE will be allowed to play their strong spot.

and back in the day yes, teams would put their faster defensive end on the weak side against the left tackle so teams would put their quicker tackle on the left side and their bigger tackle on the right side. This doesn’t work anymore because I’m the nickel teams will now purposely put their quicker defensive end on that side to just blow by the slower right tackle. Vikings basically only used Hunter on the strong side so he could abuse people with his speed.

you need 2 good offensive pass blocking tackles in today’s league

it matters in the base formation because your strong side end could get double teamed by the right tackle and tight end, but in the nickel it’s irrelevant

From every report I’ve read so far, Turner does not have the bend you’d want from a RDE. Everything I’ve read says he wins with power like a LDE. I know he’s got the size to slide inside, but my immediate thought it Cam Jordan replacement for when he hangs it up. What say you?
You’re on to something here. My thinking is more twofold. I see this pick as both hedging their bet if Dav doesn’t perform this season and on the other end of the spectrum, picking Cam’s eventual replacement at LDE if Dav does make the jump this season. Maybe not what we all were expecting or hoping for, but it makes a lot of sense. And if all works out, having two 6’6” 270 freaks on the edges would be a nightmare for opposing offenses.

My assumption with builds is that Turner takes Cams spot in a couple years and Davenport takes the other end.
Or, according to the freak out on this board when he was drafted they get other ends of holding down the bench.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom