Saints Do you think Payton Turner has the juice to be a hidden gem 🤔. Lets see (merged) (1 Viewer)

From every report I’ve read so far, Turner does not have the bend you’d want from a RDE. Everything I’ve read says he wins with power like a LDE. I know he’s got the size to slide inside, but my immediate thought it Cam Jordan replacement for when he hangs it up. What say you?
I looked at his pro day and timed his 3 cone drill myself. I averaged 6.75

i timed Von miller. His was faster than the reported 6.7 6.5!

Last edited:
I know the Davenport staying healthy narrative is a real thing. And he has to stay healthy. But when he is on the field he is a monster. If, and it's a big if, he can stay healthy, he is a game changer. If Turner can do the same, you have two JPP-type bookends. Throw in Granderson...They all have the same prototype, 6-6ish, 270ish, long arms...Saints clearly have a prototype for DE. Health is the key.

Here is Davenports highlight reel from 2019. He wasn’t as good last year.

He had one sack winning outside demonstrating bend. There was another sack after a feeble chip from a TE. The rest were were Davenport either bull rushing or cutting inside. So I don’t think I’d characterize him as a speed rusher.

I think that Turner has better hands and bend.

You’re on to something here. My thinking is more twofold. I see this pick as both hedging their bet if Dav doesn’t perform this season and on the other end of the spectrum, picking Cam’s eventual replacement at LDE if Dav does make the jump this season. Maybe not what we all were expecting or hoping for, but it makes a lot of sense. And if all works out, having two 6’6” 270 freaks on the edges would be a nightmare for opposing offenses.
Make it three with Granderson. Saints definitely have a metric of what they want out of a DE. All three are almost identical in height, weight, length measureables.

I’d wager Dav turns it up this season barring injuries and Turner on the Onyemata production timeline with similar impact. He may actually come along faster with DE requiring less experience to be productive than DT.
Dav will have to turn it up this season. This new kid can be either his or Cam’s eventual replacement possibly.

I posted this in another thread after we drafted him...

Who Dat!

I keep hearing SR members compare Turner to being another Davenport, but from what I am hearing and reading I believe he compares more favorably to Cam Jordan. His character, leadership, playing through injury, sense of humor, intelligence, love of the game, & a non stop moter, up to the point of saying he doesn't take any plays off. I am really leaning toward a younger, faster, stronger Cam.

It is also alluded to that maybe not a day 1 starter, but day 1 rotational player that will make an impact and just get better and better. That's kinda impressive and damn sure lifts my hopes of him in our D.

Imagine you have Davenport's longer lengthier frame, with Cam's motor. Playing next to Cam, learning fram Cam & Nielsen, with the ability to make an impact in rotational playing time!

More I hear & read, the more excited I am getting about this pick for 2021 and future seasons.

Just my $.02

Who Dat!

Here is Davenports highlight reel from 2019. He wasn’t as good last year.

He had one sack winning outside demonstrating bend. There was another sack after a feeble chip from a TE. The rest were were Davenport either bull rushing or cutting inside. So I don’t think I’d characterize him as a speed rusher.

I think that Turner has better hands and bend.

One big thing about Davenport is converting speed to power. He's great at that. But he's not the technician Cam is (really, I'm of the opinion that Cam is one of the all-time greats at being a do-it-all DE).

I posted this in another thread after we drafted him...

Who Dat!
I am curious to see how Nielsen coach him. His approach is motivational with lot of positive enforcement. Guys like Turner with that kind of upbeat personality tend to gravitate to it. I am hoping Jordan takes him under his wing. If Turner turns out to be good his rookie year, I won't be surprised if this Jordan last year with the team. I think Jordan, if he is healthy, can still be that guy. Maybe take a pay cut to stay with the team the entire career. Not a knock on Turner, but he still look like a senior in high school, even though he is probably older than a lot of the underclassmen that came out.

One big thing about Davenport is converting speed to power. He's great at that. But he's not the technician Cam is (really, I'm of the opinion that Cam is one of the all-time greats at being a do-it-all DE).

He is very good at that. I think one of Davenports biggest concerns coming into the league was leverage and get off. I still have those concerns. He’s been a pleasant surprise at run defense...that’s honestly a much bigger strength than his pass rushing at this point. He honestly reminds me a bit of Clowney. Doesn’t have great initial burst but once he gets going he can be a force. He’s so long and doesn’t have great agility. He’s very much a point A to point B guy. He needs to learn a counter move and stay healthy.

Turner has better bend...better hands...and better agility than Davenport.

That’s up to Dav. He needs to show something this year

He's shown a lot. He just needs to stay healthy and take one more step forward. Question, though. Isn't this just his 4th year with us? Why did we go ahead and pick up the 5th year option? I thought that normally happened at the end of their 4th year. Could be wrong.

He's shown a lot. He just needs to stay healthy and take one more step forward. Question, though. Isn't this just his 4th year with us? Why did we go ahead and pick up the 5th year option? I thought that normally happened at the end of their 4th year. Could be wrong.
This will be his fourth year. Teams can pick up the fifth year early. Not entirely sure why we did so right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom