do you think this player would still be around by the 10th pick 2nd rd? (1 Viewer)

No. The second round would probably be a big reach for him.
I think so too. I love him for LSU, but I actually think he should go late 4th.
I think it is a combination of LSU's defensive system, the players around him, and the fact he is a bit overrated but he will likely be picked between our 2 and 3rds.
Unless you knew 100% that if we moved him to linebacker he would do well, I don't want the Saints to give him a look.

i know there are no sure things when it comes to the draft, but i ask who would be the CLOSEST thing to be a can't miss player in the saints' position they are in?

Steltz is a nice ball hawk, a smart player, a good hitter, so yes, talented in those rights, but he is also slow. Go back and look at several of the games, you'll see receivers blowing by him. Largely, the opposition wasn't able to take advantage when they did, but in the NFL, those are going to be touchdowns.
I agree somewhat with Trey W. about moving to WLB, though I think strong safety is a more likely target because he wouldn't have to bulk up as much and he is a good hitter. He's definitely "prospect" material, which means he's a mid-round pick (3rd to 5th round) tops. Picking him in the 2nd would be wasting a pick. If we really wanted him, we could easily wait until the 3rd or 4th rounds to get him (depending on what the combine does to his stock, and I honestly think it can only lower it because his lack of speed will be more of an issue there).

man pretty harsh. Well i ask do you think he's talented or is he just a product of the system he plays in?

He's a great college player, but our main concern is that he lacks the speed necessary to play in the NFL. Like others said, Steve Gleason is decent comp, though I would give Steltz a better shot at winning a starting job somewhere eventually. His draft stock will rely heavily on his 40 time. He could possibly put himself into the late second round with a great 40 time, or he could go undrafted with a bad one.

i know there are no sure things when it comes to the draft, but i ask who would be the CLOSEST thing to be a can't miss player in the saints' position they are in?
These are just my opinions
Round 1: Kenny Phillips FS, Sedrick Ellis DT, James Laurinaitis ILB (If he declares), Ray Mauluga ILB (If he declares)
Round 2: Ali Highsmith OLB, Shawn CrableOLB, Xavier Abidi OLB, Leodis McKelvin CB

You don't know what 'can't miss players' as you refered to them as will be around in rounds 3 and later until draft day.

That would be WAY too early to draft him. There are way better talents at the position than him. He's a scrapper though, but he'll be a huge liability in coverage. If we were to reach on a safety, I'd perfer Tommy Zbikowski from ND.

I hope Texas DT Frank Okem falls into the 2nd. He might be there for us at the top of the 2nd. Thats my dream senario.

He's one of the best tacklers I've seen in awhile. However, he doesn't exactly have the speed or athleticism to play FS at the NFL level. He'll be a great special teamer early in his career and may be a good SS in a few seasons.

i'm all for getting the best def player available in first rd (poss. a linebacker) we could get a decent man to man corner in later rds. (ex chevis jackson, zenon) i don't think they are projected at this point to go that high in first rd. It looks like they are alright when playing man to man.

Why stop there? Let's just go ahead an draft every LSU player we can.

:9:

Maybe that way they'd sell Frost Top in the Dome.

To every single person that says Steltz is not fast enough I would ask you to observe additional football. As a matter of fact to each person that says he is too slow go ahead and find his 40 times before you think he's slow just because of skin color. I'm not here to argue about "football speed" because at this point before he hits the NFL all we have is 40 times to go on.

I really don't care if the Saints draft him. I don't think he is a first day pick nor do I really want him. I just find it funny that the reasoning used is because he is too slow. Comical.

But let me give you a little hint. He is just as fast as Roman Harper. OH NOES!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom