Do you think Webb was worried about avoiding being flagged on that last pass by Seattle? (2 Viewers)

I I think the risk is too great - if a solid package of evidence ever came out on that, it would be like steroids in baseball. There would be hearings at Congress and faith in the competition element of the game would be gone . . . and so with it would go the game. They would be killing the golden goose.

The Olympics is pretty much openly rigged, from the selection of host cities to the actual competitions, yet we all tune in.

FIFA, same thing.

The NBA actually had a ref get publicly exposed for taking $$ and its more popular than ever.

Given the status of other major sports/entertainment enterprises, I dont see much difficulty with NFL refs knowing what the league wants in any given situation.

Maybe I'm too cynical but I have watched too much BS in the NFL to think there's not something up, especially when it comes to the officiating. (And even that would still make the NFL the cleanest organization on this list).

I get the appeal of that line of thought. I can't say it's wrong and you're at least presenting it in a fair way that isn't entirely cynical like many do.

I just don't buy it. I don't think the league provides parameters or objectives for refs to call games that are based on anything other than the football that's played (e.g. sometimes they emphasize certain rules or have mid-season reminders about certain things). I can't accept that officials are out there thinking about making sure there's a tight playoff picture or parity or any kind of concern like that.

I recognize that I'm probably being naive. I recognize that I don't buy it because I don't want to believe it. I think the risk is too great - if a solid package of evidence ever came out on that, it would be like steroids in baseball (but worse). There would be hearings at Congress and faith in the competition element of the game would be gone . . . and so with it would go the game. They would be killing the golden goose.

I recognize that there is a lot of money involved. I recognize that revenue sharing and parity are important. But they get most of that from the salary cap and an orderly method of talent distribution (draft, waiver system, practice squad, etc.). Once you start giving officials parameters for results, the game is lost IMO. But again, my wife tells me all the time that I have too much faith in people.

I am largely with Sparkle here. I don't think there's any official policy, but as I've written a number of times, I do think there is a "code red" for the officials who want to keep their jobs and/or be head refs and do post-season: keep every game playing a full 60 minutes so the TVs don't go "click", and there's nothing more fun than a playoff race in all 8 divisions.

Everybody does what the boss wants, whether they realize it or not. And what the boss wants is drama, real if they can get it and artificial if they can't, and a deniable level of the appearance of player safety.

My guess is that they would have kicked the XP taking into consideration that points come into the tie breaking method . but then again the fear of it being blocked and returned for 2 pts could have made them not
0% chance Seattle would have tried the extra point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

webb defensed that play well. maybe should have pushed the wr further out of bounds but the risk of PI suddenly comes into play then. Really had to be a perfect pass and catch for webb to get beat. nice job by the cb,good awareness, positioning etc. hopefully play like that lasts the rest of the season.

Does anyone have a screen shot showing Kearse's feet? It was extremely close - his right foot was in bounds because it hit the pylon.

Hitting the pylon doesn't make him in bounds, he still needs to land in bounds after possessing the ball.

The reason hitting the pylon with the ball (if possession has already been established) is used to determine a TD, is because in order for the ball to touch the pylon it has to break the plane of the goal line.

Hitting the pylon doesn't make him in bounds, he still needs to land in bounds after possessing the ball.

The reason hitting the pylon with the ball (if possession has already been established) is used to determine a TD, is because in order for the ball to touch the pylon it has to break the plane of the goal line.

Every time I read your posts, I hear Ron Swanson in my head.

You're right though - the back pylon isn't an extension of the playing surface. Thanks, I was wrong about that.

If you really watch the beginning of the play both guys initiate contact trying to jockey for position and the WR pushes off, not a real big push off, but a a subtle one nonetheless, but enough to get just enough separation from him and the CB. Lucky for us I was in the corner of the end zone and he wasn't able to get his feet down. This happens all the time, WR's rarely ever get flaggged for the subtle push offs, the ones that give the WR just enough separation to make the catch. I normally wouldn't have a problem with a no call but had that been a cornerback making contact in the slightest it would have been flagged. Bottom line is these rules emphasis favor one side of the ball(offfense)over the other and IMO that is co promise to the game/shield

I think this sums up everyone's feelings at that moment

33vc2zd.jpg
I swear that's Jenkins :hihi:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i think he knew where he was in the endzone and knew he wouldnt get his feet down either way. CBs are trained to carry the wr out of the endzone after the catch these days if they are going to come down in bounds... Webb is a stud as far as i am concerned thus far!

I do think with the history of the loss to Oakland week one courtesy of the PI against Robinson and with the random PI calls late in the Giants game the thought surely crossed his mind, as I am sure it does every defenders late in games. Teams throw these prayers 1/2 looking to make a play and the other 1/2 simply looking for a call.

The reffs have backed off last few weeks but expect an over correction this week and the 49ers to get tons of calls their way.

0% chance Seattle would have tried the extra point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Almost certain (unless recently changed) conversion attempt is required at halftime and end of regulation. They would've had to kick or go for 2. Taking the snap and a knee would end the game.

Touchdown in overtime ends the game. No conversion game over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom