Do you want Brees to retire? (2 Viewers)

Do you want Brees to retire?

• Yes

Votes: 294 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 128 30.3%

• Total voters
Take a deep dive into those 8 wins and it’s pretty scary. The Broncos game shouldn’t even count. With Teddy we won games where we only scored 12 and 13 points against Dallas and Jacksonville. Another game required defense and special teams touchdowns to pull out the win. Not exactly the type of games that scream super bowl contender.

I broke it down in another post, but they don't want to hear that. What's funny is that the people who love to hang their hat on that 8-1 record without Brees...are the same ones crying that a 3-1 Taysom is a joke. Here are those numbers btw:

2019 with Bridgewater. Saints go 5-0
Combined records of the teams they beat in that stretch: 40-40
Turnover Differential: Saints 5 / Opponents 5

Seattle: They beat a good Seattle team by 6 pts. Deonte Harris had a punt return for a TD and Vonn Bell had a fumble return for a TD. Russell Wilson had 400+ yards passing while Bridgewater had only 177...with a long of 10 (guess we didn't need the long ball here!) Kamara had 70 yards rushing and was our leading rusher.
Dallas: Bridgewater threw for 193 yards, no TDs and 1 INT. His long that day was 20. Lutz kicked 4 field goals that day as the final score was 12-10...against an 8-8 Cowboys team (Cowboys also fumbled it away twice.)
Tampa Bay: Beat a 7-9 Bucs team by 1 TD 31-24. Bridgewater had 314 yards passing. Saints D sacked Winston 6 times.
Jacksonville: Beat a 6-10 Jaguars team by a score of 13-6. Another 1 TD game by our vaunted offense.
Chicago: Beat an 8-8 Bears team 36-25

2020 with Hill. Saints go 3-1
Combined records of the team they beat in that stretch: 9-23
Turnover Differential: Saints 6 / Opponents 3

Atlanta: 2 wins came against a 4-12 Falcons team
Denver: The other win came against a Denver team that was starting a practice squad wide receiver at QB (we would've won with Heath Shuler on that day)

Yes. Anybody who still thinks he's the best option especially when the post season comes needs to take off their homer glasses. Allowing your love for a player to supersede what's best for the team is lunacy. Our offense has been shrunk year after year because of his lack of arm strength. Our "genius" of a coach has had to constantly design game plans with passes no more than 15 yards. In turn we have made poor defenses look good against us because playing us has become elementary. Many will point to the 12-4 record and ignore how dominant our defense was during some of those games.

We all love Drew. He's the greatest to ever wear the uniform. But his play has decreased to a level that will prevent us from winning when it matters most. Therefore it is time for him to hang it up.

Last edited:
I broke it down in another post, but they don't want to hear that. What's funny is that the people who love to hang their hat on that 8-1 record without Brees...are the same ones crying that a 3-1 Taysom is a joke. Here are those numbers btw:

2019 with Bridgewater. Saints go 5-0
Combined records of the teams they beat in that stretch: 40-40
Turnover Differential: Saints 5 / Opponents 5

Seattle: They beat a good Seattle team by 6 pts. Deonte Harris had a punt return for a TD and Vonn Bell had a fumble return for a TD. Russell Wilson had 400+ yards passing while Bridgewater had only 177...with a long of 10 (guess we didn't need the long ball here!) Kamara had 70 yards rushing and was our leading rusher.
Dallas: Bridgewater threw for 193 yards, no TDs and 1 INT. His long that day was 20. Lutz kicked 4 field goals that day as the final score was 12-10...against an 8-8 Cowboys team (Cowboys also fumbled it away twice.)
Tampa Bay: Beat a 7-9 Bucs team by 1 TD 31-24. Bridgewater had 314 yards passing. Saints D sacked Winston 6 times.
Jacksonville: Beat a 6-10 Jaguars team by a score of 13-6. Another 1 TD game by our vaunted offense.
Chicago: Beat an 8-8 Bears team 36-25

2020 with Hill. Saints go 3-1
Combined records of the team they beat in that stretch: 9-23
Turnover Differential: Saints 6 / Opponents 3

Atlanta: 2 wins came against a 4-12 Falcons team
Denver: The other win came against a Denver team that was starting a practice squad wide receiver at QB (we would've won with Heath Shuler on that day)

You’re also talking about an offense which was built for Drew. Sure, Taysom and Teddy had the benefit of game planning for the week. But it’s a lot different than designing an offense around a player’s individual strengths. Not to mention that we’ve seen this offense change when a QB can throw deep (Drew 09-~15/16).

We have enough evidence that Drew just can’t push the ball enough anymore to win playoff games when teams are allowed to get physical. Trying to pick out games we won without him and analyzing them as if the game plans would be the same doesn’t tell us much. Certainly not any more than the fact we actually WON those games, haha.

A living legend to Saints Nation. It’s time to retire.

Take a deep dive into those 8 wins and it’s pretty scary. The Broncos game shouldn’t even count. With Teddy we won games where we only scored 12 and 13 points against Dallas and Jacksonville. Another game required defense and special teams touchdowns to pull out the win. Not exactly the type of games that scream super bowl contender.
Saints have lost most big games that have mattered over Drew’s last few years. I am not just talking playoff games, but games that were for home field and prove it games.

Drew usually started or ended bad in each of those games.The Saints caught some schedule breaks when starting back up QBs, but going 8-1 with back ups means the rest of the roster is very solid,

Losing big games against elite competition with an old HOF QB that can no longer make all the throws means that something has to change to get different results. Given that Drew is likely not going to improve his physical skills enough to change the way good teams play him -it starts to become obvious to those of us that love Drew and the Saints that a well planned premature exit is better than a wheels fall off because the old guy lost it type of exit for both Drew (better preservation of his legacy) and the Saints (able to start a season with an offense built around another QBs skills.)

If Drew comes back and balls out then I will be elated, but the sorrow that Drew and Saints fans will feel if he comes back and is a shell of himself will be more devastating than him retiring now even if he thinks he can maybe run it one more time.

I mean it all depends on what is after him. I love DB9 and if he wants to play another season, I am all for it. That being said, if him retiring means we make a trade and get Wilson or Watson, then I want Drew to retire. If him retiring means we get Aaron Brooks, I mean Jamies Winston, then I pass and want Drew to play forever

Saints have lost most big games that have mattered over Drew’s last few years. I am not just talking playoff games, but games that were for home field and prove it games.

Drew usually started or ended bad in each of those games.The Saints caught some schedule breaks when starting back up QBs, but going 8-1 with back ups means the rest of the roster is very solid,

Losing big games against elite competition with an old HOF QB that can no longer make all the throws means that something has to change to get different results. Given that Drew is likely not going to improve his physical skills enough to change the way good teams play him -it starts to become obvious to those of us that love Drew and the Saints that a well planned premature exit is better than a wheels fall off because the old guy lost it type of exit for both Drew (better preservation of his legacy) and the Saints (able to start a season with an offense built around another QBs skills.)

If Drew comes back and balls out then I will be elated, but the sorrow that Drew and Saints fans will feel if he comes back and is a shell of himself will be more devastating than him retiring now even if he thinks he can maybe run it one more time.
I understand this but if this comes down to Drew Brees or Jameis Winston. I'm sorry, I'll take Drew all day. Drew is not to blame single handedly for all those losses you mentioned

I understand this but if this comes down to Drew Brees or Jameis Winston. I'm sorry, I'll take Drew all day. Drew is not to blame single handedly for all those losses you mentioned
It is a team sport and the team with Drew cannot beat teams with what Brees fans consider to be lesser QBs and lesser defenses.

I will be happy to cheer for Winston this year if Drew retires and believe he at least has a chance to take the team further because of his physical skills, huge arm, huge upside, and CSP designing an offense around him, AK47, MT, and a top 5 OL.

If Drew comes back and plays at his 2011-13 level, then hallelujah! But it is more like he gets hurt and/or gets revealed as too limited in his ability to push the ball down the field and make good, playoff caliber defenses play honest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom