Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

The more i see of this, the more i get that sinking feeling this may well be the last episode of Dr. Who i ever see.

They make her seem like a 20 something leaving Gallifrey for the first time, not a season 1,000 year old plus character with lifetimes of experience.

The more i see of this, the more i get that sinking feeling this may well be the last episode of Dr. Who i ever see.

They make her seem like a 20 something leaving Gallifrey for the first time, not a season 1,000 year old plus character with lifetimes of experience.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing in the trailer. It's hard for me to tell with a snippet here and there. Plus, we've got the first female Doctor here, so they're bound to play her a little differently.

That's pretty much what Peter Davison's fifth doctor was. None of this is new except for the gender.

That said, I think that's exactly my problem. Nothing seems new here. I've yet to see anything particularly interesting in any of the trailers of promotional materials.

That's pretty much what Peter Davison's fifth doctor was. None of this is new except for the gender.

That said, I think that's exactly my problem. Nothing seems new here. I've yet to see anything particularly interesting in any of the trailers of promotional materials.

the way I remember it the 5th doctor has many instances to show his concern, experience and realization of dire circumstances in the face of real threats and challenges. Nor did he the approval of his companions to validate himself or his purpose. They are changing everything, the gender being the least relevant. I didn't like the show when it was "The Adventures of Clara Oswald and some guy named the Doctor", now it looks like "4 Earth Friends and a Chick from Space"

I respect you opinion, interesting how we as fans have different view points and memories of past episodes. I am currently rewatching the whole classic series right now, and its far, far better.

So far i have gotten around to seeing the first 15 min of the episode.

They dialog for the doctor so far is as generic as possible. you could insert any actor and have them say the words, male, female, or it, and it wouldn't matter. No sign of regeneration sickness so far, just the strong woman talking control of the situation. The side characters seem like single episode disposable characters so far, not companions.

And i wasn't impressed with the room of sonic screw driver holding women right before the show.

Well i finished the episode.

From a production standpoint, it wasn't' god awful though I've never liked the cheep rout of not including any sets, no Tardis interior, just running around in the dark in the city.

As for the the doctor is woman issue, it really didn't matter. Jodie Wittiker didn't play the doctor as female, she was a woman acting line a man, or a role written no different then all the men it was before. This is where the SJW hammer misses the nail completely. You go to all this effort to change the doctor from a man to woman, and then you don't have the doctor character actually be female in any way. Just reinforces the stereo type that women have to act like men to be taken seriously.

All that, and the only thing that really turned me off to the show was the heavy handed SJW agenda from all the interviews and outtakes in between the show segments. They made it very clear the show is not for the fans anymore, but vehicle for political social justice agenda, as the whole BBC has made clear that's what they want.

Doctor Who doesn't exit anymore, more like Doctor Who Cares.

At the the title sequence was cool...oh wait...

Well i finished the episode.

From a production standpoint, it wasn't' god awful though I've never liked the cheep rout of not including any sets, no Tardis interior, just running around in the dark in the city.

As for the the doctor is woman issue, it really didn't matter. Jodie Wittiker didn't play the doctor as female, she was a woman acting line a man, or a role written no different then all the men it was before. This is where the SJW hammer misses the nail completely. You go to all this effort to change the doctor from a man to woman, and then you don't have the doctor character actually be female in any way. Just reinforces the stereo type that women have to act like men to be taken seriously.

All that, and the only thing that really turned me off to the show was the heavy handed SJW agenda from all the interviews and outtakes in between the show segments. They made it very clear the show is not for the fans anymore, but vehicle for political social justice agenda, as the whole BBC has made clear that's what they want.

Doctor Who doesn't exit anymore, more like Doctor Who Cares.

At the the title sequence was cool...oh wait...

I think you miss the entire point about the doctor being "female." The point of it and equality is that gender doesn't matter in any real way. It doesn't matter if the Doctor is male or female. The Doctor is still The Doctor. The Doctor has been living as "male" for around 1,000 years. Would it make any sense if a "female" Doctor started acting in whatever way you think a woman is supposed to act?

And you decided how you felt about this long ago and decided you were going to hate it before you even started watching the first episode. You have chosen to see everything though the lense of a gender war and pushing of a "SJW" agenda that isn't even present in the show. You complain that they aren't being successful as SJWs because they aren't doing enough of it and then follow it up by saying that the SJWs have taken over the show so you won't watch it anymore.

I mean you even say "Jodie Wittiker didn't play the doctor as female, she was a woman acting line a man, or a role written no different then all the men it was before." So you are saying The Doctor is the same as The Doctor always has been and then follow that up by saying that "Doctor Who doesn't exit anymore, more like Doctor Who Cares."

Your commentary frankly makes no coherent sense. It's sad how some people have come to let their lives and entertainment be ruined by a fixation on partisan politics.

So ignoring the political agendas that some want to push, I though the first and second episode were excellent and very much so in line with the past of Doctor Who. I thought the third episode that aired last night was also very good, but a definite change in the way Doctor Who stories have been told in the past. It was a much more personal episode and touched directly on a small but ultimately significant event. It honestly felt more like an episode of Quantum Leap than of Doctor Who. That being said, it was very well done and I'm not opposed to a change of pace every now and then. Certainly better than anything done in the last two seasons.

I think you miss the entire point about the doctor being "female." The point of it and equality is that gender doesn't matter in any real way. It doesn't matter if the Doctor is male or female. The Doctor is still The Doctor. The Doctor has been living as "male" for around 1,000 years. Would it make any sense if a "female" Doctor started acting in whatever way you think a woman is supposed to act?

And you decided how you felt about this long ago and decided you were going to hate it before you even started watching the first episode. You have chosen to see everything though the lense of a gender war and pushing of a "SJW" agenda that isn't even present in the show. You complain that they aren't being successful as SJWs because they aren't doing enough of it and then follow it up by saying that the SJWs have taken over the show so you won't watch it anymore.

I mean you even say "Jodie Wittiker didn't play the doctor as female, she was a woman acting line a man, or a role written no different then all the men it was before." So you are saying The Doctor is the same as The Doctor always has been and then follow that up by saying that "Doctor Who doesn't exit anymore, more like Doctor Who Cares."

Your commentary frankly makes no coherent sense. It's sad how some people have come to let their lives and entertainment be ruined by a fixation on partisan politics.

So ignoring the political agendas that some want to push, I though the first and second episode were excellent and very much so in line with the past of Doctor Who. I thought the third episode that aired last night was also very good, but a definite change in the way Doctor Who stories have been told in the past. It was a much more personal episode and touched directly on a small but ultimately significant event. It honestly felt more like an episode of Quantum Leap than of Doctor Who. That being said, it was very well done and I'm not opposed to a change of pace every now and then. Certainly better than anything done in the last two seasons.

I tend not to respond to his "reviews" of the show. I can't remember the last time he's had anything positive to say about the show.

I enjoyed the first two episodes. Will catch up on #3 this week.

That premise of storytelling only works if accept the premise that gender doesn't matter. if we were talking about a gender less species, I could live with that, however, the show, as well as its fan base, still reside i a world of men and women who are not the same, don't act the same, and have different motivations. As is well established that Gallefraians are also male and female, not a gender-less society.

So no, i'm not ready to accept the idea that it doesn't matter if its a man or a woman, because being male or female does directly impact the character in multiple ways.

if there is no relevance to the Doctor being a woman, then there is no sense in casting a woman to play the doctor, who has never been refereed to as a neutral gender.

I stand by my premise that if the want to show a female as a female timelord with intelligence and strength, they the doctor should have been lost in the time vortex and have Romanadvoratrelundar (Romana) take over the Tardis on a quest to save the doctor.

But instead we get Matt Smith with boobs. yeh that real creative story telling there...

I tend not to respond to his "reviews" of the show. I can't remember the last time he's had anything positive to say about the show.

I enjoyed the first two episodes. Will catch up on #3 this week.

The show has been spiraling downward for years. Capaldi's last season with Bill was some of the best stuff they have done since Matt Smith's first season, but if you like recycled stories with mystery boxes, dues ex machina, and reset buttons where nothing relevant happens as the rich history of the show is ignored....be my guest.

I have to admit that I was pumped for the season but I am pretty underwhelmed so far. The first 2 episodes were OK but the last 3 were total disasters to me. The new Tardis looks pretty bad as well, IMO.

The villains so far are terrible. the stakes are really low and the Doctor barely does anything noteworthy. JW is doing her best with poor material but she barely seems like the doctor to me.

The episodes never seem finished and the conclusions are barely even thought about. For instance when they lured the spiders into that room and shut the door
....then what? They all died of starvation? It actually seems that euthanizing them is more humane.

Also, this last episode had the SAME solution....lure the bad guy into a room and shut him in there.

Anyway it could improve. Capaldis first season was pretty rough and he ended up being my favorite doctor. I just think Chinball isn't a very good writer.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is the new episode(Demons of the Punjab) a vast improvement over the first 5 episodes? This was a quite good episode to me, although it still has the problem that the doctor didn't have to do anything. If she never showed up, the problem would have sorted itself on its own. That is a bit annoying, but still this was 10 times better than anything else so far this season. And she seemed like the doctor for the first time, IMO...
companions were good as well. I like the demons, I hope they get a call back later in the season somehow.
Trending up!

Is it just me, or is the new episode(Demons of the Punjab) a vast improvement over the first 5 episodes? This was a quite good episode to me, although it still has the problem that the doctor didn't have to do anything. If she never showed up, the problem would have sorted itself on its own. That is a bit annoying, but still this was 10 times better than anything else so far this season. And she seemed like the doctor for the first time, IMO...
companions were good as well. I like the demons, I hope they get a call back later in the season somehow.
Trending up!
Agreed. I think the show is going through the growing pains of a new direction. I'm still on board...

It does suck there won't be a Christmas special though.

Agreed. I think the show is going through the growing pains of a new direction. I'm still on board...

It does suck there won't be a Christmas special though.

I am still onboard also. I am hoping they figure it out and put out more episodes of this quality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom