Does a 3% drop in alcohol content matter in bourbon? You bet your ***! (Maker's Mark) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't **** with our liquor!

After backlash from customers, the producer of Maker's Mark bourbon is reversing a decision to cut the amount of alcohol in bottles of its famous whiskey.

Rob Samuels, Maker's Mark's chief operating officer, said Sunday that it is restoring the alcohol volume of its product to its historic level of 45 percent, or 90 proof. Last week, it said it was lowering the amount to 42 percent, or 84 proof, because of a supply shortage.

"We've been tremendously humbled over the last week or so," Samuels, grandson of the brand's founder, said of customers' reactions.

The brand known for its square bottles sealed in red wax has struggled to keep up with demand. Distribution has been squeezed, and the brand had to curtail shipments to some overseas markets.

In a tweet Sunday, the company said to its followers: "You spoke. We listened."

Maker's Mark to stop watering down its whiskey - Business on NBCNews.com

oh that is lame. i thought people were just made that they used water to cut their bourbon (which most distilleries do to maintain proof), but i didn't realize it was to squeeze out even more per barrel. makers is just makers anyway. not bad, but definitely not special. it is the crown of bourbons. considering i can go to just about any grocery or liquor store nearby to be greeted by bottles upon bottles, i can't see anyone worrying about the supply and demand of it.

Heard this from a friend today. Sounds like a they are just starting a media fuss. Like when they changed the Coke formula. They aren't going to take any alcohol out of the formula.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom