Does Anybody here remember Conrad Dobler as a Saint player (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Many people remember Conrad Dobler as the dirtiest man in tyhe NFL way back in the 70's and early 80's, but what some people dont know is is that he played for the New Orleans Saints for 2 glorious years in the lste 70's and in many ways brought a veteran leadership to a Saints offesnive line for the first time ever in its history. The Saints under veteran QB Archie Manning never had quite the good O-line to protect him from being sacked and roughed up a lot during his career, but Conrad Dobler was special, he was nasty, violent at times on the field and a jerk-like approach to the FO people of his old team the St. Louis Cardinals before shipping South to New Orleans in 1978. It was in many ways his part of the career Dobler ever had, but he made his mark for even two short years in New Orleans as a Saint.

He was nasty, dirty, and played hard, but he was the best guy on the Saints O-line to protect Archie during his glory years in 78 and 79, years Archie said were his best as a player in the NFL and with the Saints.

I remember him playing with The Club. He broke his hand and had a cast put on it and played anyway. The great part is, this was before head slaps were a penalty. He used it quite well!

I was born in 1979, John so yes in a way. I remember the Dome Patrol Saints a lot and the Mike Ditka and early Jim Haslett days the most.

FWIW I kind of miss the old Dome Patrol days, we were quite a team back then and compared to today, it was quite a thing for Saints to be even in the playoffs becuase we had never been their before Mora and Finks came along.

I like the Mora Saints a lot IMHO, we were a dominating team, and had a lot of good if not great players then.

I hope Sean Payton continues that tradition.

I remember him and his cast as well. It looked like he had a bowling ball on the end of his arm:)

I also remember Conrad and his cast. Man, that cast was a lethal weapon. Mora years were awesome except the last few. If we would have had a real offensive coordinator we would have won the Super Bowl.

I remember him in his days with St. Louis Cardinals.

oh yea I remember him. in fact I think I have his saints card, I'll try and dig it out and post it if I can find it

I remember him . you don't seee player with a cast like that anymore

Dobler was one of those types of guys about whom Madden loves to gush. Off the field he's a lot like Butkus - a gentleman, through and through.

you don't seee player with a cast like that anymore

Freddy T. played with a big ol' (™) cast about 3-4 seasons ago. It came complete with the cotton swab rounded end.

Remember "The Club" and "Archie's Bunker" well.

I will lay down my life to protect my quarterback"

-Conrad Dobler (pre-Saints)

I think he's the one that also said, "If he sticks his {explative} finger in my mouth, of course I'm going to bite it."

Yes. Was he traded to Buffalo or released?

Attachments

• dobler.jpg
    dobler.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 26

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom