Saints Does anyone Else (feel different about the saints?) mod edit (1 Viewer)

I'm as excited about this coming season than I have any season since I became a fan in 88. Win lose or Draw I am a saints fan, if we don't win or don't win enough games it still does not take away from the individuals players who perform great or young players who may become the staple players once the team starts to win again.

Post like these are so strange to me because it just sounds like people are truly fans of this team they are bandwagon fans who rooted for them because they won and its easy to get behind a winner but if the team falls back to the "same ole saints" era people will be jumping off the bandwagon where I WILL be still rooting for this team because this is MY Team.

I think it’s totally opposite, us old timers who’ve been following the saints since the 70s or longer have seen both sides of the saints, as a fan starting 88 you have really never seen the bad years, the Mora years were good respectable teams, the front office and coaching were on par with what we had now, we were missing a hall of fame qb. We don’t want to regress back to the old saints where we went through coaches and QBs like the bengles and browns. It’s going to be a rough couple of years and we will have growing pains. We don’t have a starting QB that can carry this team and our D will take a step or 2 back with the loss of players and age creeping in.
Also what people don’t realize is our O line has been pretty good but 9 made them great with his calls and ability to read the D and move in the pocket. People don’t realize how important of a leader that Brees was on the field, in the locker room and in the community. We don’t have a face anymore and it’s frightening as a fan and sad in a way. It feels different to me also because I don’t have it in me to go back to a Browns type team. Brady showed everyone that BB was a good coach but Brady made them an elite team.

Leadership at the QB position puts teams over the top. We better draft that leader.

The Saints will likely have a year or two of average pack to the pack seasons (8-9 or 9-8). This due to a combination of kicking the can down the road, a lowering of the cap from Covid, and not having a sure starter to replace Brees. Taysom is a great general purpose player in various roles but not a franchise caliber QB in my opinion. Winston might be but I haven't seen that from him yet though if Payton wants to give him a shot this year then I am o.k. with it to see what he can do in with Payton for a year. I just have questions about his maturity and ability to be the leader of the team.
I agree with this. We will be down a couple of years until we have a franchise qb again. Jameis might surprise us. Still, there are other starters lost due to salary cap issues, and it will take a draft or two to get back in the hunt I think.

Feel different about the Saints. Don’t get me wrong, I will always be a Saints fan.

But, I have lost all my confidence. I watched my team grow since 1969. I enjoyed watching my Saints play at a high level, However, now that Brees is gone, I am worried we will go back to being, “In the pack”.

I seriously doubt we will fall to the cellar. But, can we stay at the top, now that Brees is gone. I just wanted to see how others feel. I guess I worry too much.
You're worrying too much. Sure we have all been spoiled by 1st ballot Hall of Fame qb play for the past 15 seasons but have just a little faith in Sean and Mickey

Why does everyone seem to forget that this team has lost only 1 game in the 9 Brees has missed with a perpetual game manager and another pretend quarterback? If Payton can with that at QB, then he certainly can with Winston.

Losing Brees helps this team more than it hurts it, imo. He was more of a detriment than he was a help at the end.

Hopefully not Iron.
I thought everyone loved the ironmike years. Kidding, that and 2005 is about the only time i felt that there was no hope as a fan. In 31 years
of watching thats really good. Not too many teams can claim that they were consistently that good in that span.

To be honest, for me the anticipation for the new season is greater than it has been for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I know very well what Brees has done for this team and how incredibly valuable he was, especially because of his mental strength. He was just THE born leader.
But I think we'll see a much more explosive offense this year. Brees was fantastic at picking up and wearing down a defense, but it's going to be a lot harder for Defenses to defend us this year because Winston is going to throw some bombs and that part of the game was painfully missing the last few years. There will be a lot fewer check-downs and it will also be easier for Kamara from the backfield if Defenses have to defend significantly more space than just 15 to 20 yards from the line of scrimmage.
If we nail the draft at least a bit and we get 1-2 weapons in the offense - a speedster in the receiving corps would be almost a MUST - then I think we have the firepower to be in the mix for a playoff spot. Winston just has to show that he's grown up and matured. That's the biggest question mark in my opinion.

I thought everyone loved the ironmike years. Kidding, that and 2005 is about the only time i felt that there was no hope as a fan. In 31 years
of watching thats really good. Not too many teams can claim that they were consistently that good in that span.
All I know as a fan since 80 ish, is that the SP DB era has been by far the most successful. Thankful for these last 15 or so years no matter what comes next.

To be honest, for me the anticipation for the new season is greater than it has been for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I know very well what Brees has done for this team and how incredibly valuable he was, especially because of his mental strength. He was just THE born leader.
But I think we'll see a much more explosive offense this year. Brees was fantastic at picking up and wearing down a defense, but it's going to be a lot harder for Defenses to defend us this year because Winston is going to throw some bombs and that part of the game was painfully missing the last few years. There will be a lot fewer check-downs and it will also be easier for Kamara from the backfield if Defenses have to defend significantly more space than just 15 to 20 yards from the line of scrimmage.
If we nail the draft at least a bit and we get 1-2 weapons in the offense - a speedster in the receiving corps would be almost a MUST - then I think we have the firepower to be in the mix for a playoff spot. Winston just has to show that he's grown up and matured. That's the biggest question mark in my opinion.
Totally agree we need a speed guy at WR. Deonte has the speed but will not make it as a WR imo, he will stay banged up if we continue to try and utilize him anywhere except returns.

As Saints fans we had to know this was coming. We had a hall of fame QB and we should feel blessed if we stay “in the pack” without replacing him with at least a franchise QB.

My feeling is; MEH!

Take ‘em or leave ‘em. Do not really care, one way or the other at this point. I am sure my sentiments will change, once the season starts. Not sure though. Weird vibe.

For probably the first time since 2006 I don't have Super Bowl expectations this year. I feel like we're fighting for a wild card.
Yup. This is the end-all-be all statement. Let's all just come back on draft day. We will move up to select a random long snapper from Utah State and you/me/we will say, "YES! We back, baby, we back!" LOL

I'm excited. There's more uncertainty about the season. Each win will be more exciting, and each loss more disappointing.

Why does everyone seem to forget that this team has lost only 1 game in the 9 Brees has missed with a perpetual game manager and another pretend quarterback? If Payton can with that at QB, then he certainly can with Winston.

Losing Brees helps this team more than it hurts it, imo. He was more of a detriment than he was a help at the end.
Your last paragraph is ridiculous. The D played out of its mind the games Brees didn’t play and can’t nor sustain that. The D will take a major step back this year. Winston is not a leader nor can he carry a team. Remove Winston and insert HOF QB and win super bowl. That’s what Tampa did. Why do you think all of a sudden he can carry the Saints. You guys that think SP can miraculously change Winston into Brees like are living in an alternate reality. Winston was a pic machine in camp last year and that’s from Deuce and Strief’s mouth. We need to draft our future QB this year or we are going to be trying to stay at .500 the next few years if lucky

The Saints will likely have a year or two of average pack to the pack seasons (8-9 or 9-8). This due to a combination of kicking the can down the road, a lowering of the cap from Covid, and not having a sure starter to replace Brees. Taysom is a great general purpose player in various roles but not a franchise caliber QB in my opinion. Winston might be but I haven't seen that from him yet though if Payton wants to give him a shot this year then I am o.k. with it to see what he can do in with Payton for a year. I just have questions about his maturity and ability to be the leader of the team.

Teams have had us pretty much figured out for several years now and now they won't, plus the improved ability to stretch the field should help but I tend to agree with Merls assessment.

Let me also add that If I were to choose a starting qb right now I would go with Taysom and have Winston come in about 10 - 15 plays a game to allow taysom to do his thAng

Last edited:
Your last paragraph is ridiculous. The D played out of its mind the games Brees didn’t play and can’t nor sustain that. The D will take a major step back this year. Winston is not a leader nor can he carry a team. Remove Winston and insert HOF QB and win super bowl. That’s what Tampa did. Why do you think all of a sudden he can carry the Saints. You guys that think SP can miraculously change Winston into Brees like are living in an alternate reality. Winston was a pic machine in camp last year and that’s from Deuce and Strief’s mouth. We need to draft our future QB this year or we are going to be trying to stay at .500 the next few years if lucky

I feel differently about the Saints this year, I'm actually excited for change at the QB position. I'm hoping SP continues the run-heavy play calling, we do have some holes on D, hopefully we draft a couple of contributors on that side of the ball. I also think we will add a few lower cost FA's as well.

I couldn't disagree with the Winston part of this post more. If he wins the starting job (and I think he will) then it is not necessarily how much you trust Winston to become a quality QB, it is how much you trust SP can develop him into one. He doesn't have to be a 2017 or earlier version of Brees, he just needs to become a better version of himself, if SP can help him do that I think we will win plenty of games this year....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom