Saints Does anyone Else (feel different about the saints?) mod edit (1 Viewer)

I feel differently about the Saints this year, I'm actually excited for change at the QB position. I'm hoping SP continues the run-heavy play calling, we do have some holes on D, hopefully we draft a couple of contributors on that side of the ball. I also think we will add a few lower cost FA's as well.

I couldn't disagree with the Winston part of this post more. If he wins the starting job (and I think he will) then it is not necessarily how much you trust Winston to become a quality QB, it is how much you trust SP can develop him into one. He doesn't have to be a 2017 or earlier version of Brees, he just needs to become a better version of himself, if SP can help him do that I think we will win plenty of games this year....
Lets just hope. I still feel we need to draft a quarterback. But I am not interested in giving up the farm to get one either. I watched Winston interception video on you tube and it is scaring me. Some of the throws I can understand but there are many that was horrible. But I am giving Winston a chance.

I was passionate about my Saints when Dave Wilson was quarterback....after that nothing phases me....black and gold with hope and a smile, win or lose, whoever throws the ball
Back then, just having the Saints go 8-8 was the equivalent of unrealistic optimism, naive, over-hyped displaced sense of expectation that the next season will be where we "make the next logical step forwards". For an entire generation of Saints fans from late 60's-mid 80's, just hoping for a winning season was wonderful, much less making a WC berth.

I honestly believe the late Mecom ownership years(1982-84), may have been the most agonizing, frustrating period in our team's history for Saints fans over age of 50 living back then. One of the main differences between the 1970's Saints teams and early 1980's Mecom-owned Saints teams were while the 1970's squads were pathetic, hopeless, rudderless teams with inconsistent chemistry, lack of depth, and cocaine-addled rosters, by the early 80's, we began drafting better players-consistently, particularly on defense and special teams, and at RB and because of that, we began looking like a team that could be something soon..if we improved at maybe 3-4 key positions. I don't think that SI or most other sports writers, pundits of analysts ever came close to forming that perception during Manning's tenure, even when he was at the head of a potent, high-scoring offense in 1978-79, our defense, especially vs. the pass was abysmal and jokingly if I could use a Premier League soccer joke since you're from UK, Geldo, our collective defense was so porous and so ineffective due to Nolan's insistence on sticking with a complex, way over-complicated Flex defense, it was akin to Arsenal or Manchester United suddenly playing entire league seasons periodically swapping goal keepers throughout the game and never settling on one and the defensive skills, abilities, individual tenacity of players on the roster are so bad, uncoordinated,.and constantly off-balanced, you could literally have a team full of All-Star, superhero larger-then-life stars like David Beckham, and Lionel Messi on your squad and you barely be lucky to go above .500.

Scoring the most goals gets all the attention, love, the synchronized, cult-like screams in unison of 80,000 soccer fans at Tottenham or Wembley in the English Premier League, but effective, aggressive, tenacious defense still wins games (and championships) in the Premier League as much as it does in the NFL. Or wins World Cups or Olympic Gold medals for countries who are given new, fresh opportunities every 4 years.

Back then, just having the Saints go 8-8 was the equivalent of unrealistic optimism, naive, over-hyped displaced sense of expectation that the next season will be where we "make the next logical step forwards". For an entire generation of Saints fans from late 60's-mid 80's, just hoping for a winning season was wonderful, much less making a WC berth.

I'm repeating myself here but when I was a kid, you never expected a win but we would always go for the box score to see if a RB or a WR got 100 yds or close....it was rare when both happened....for a llllllooooonnnnnnnggggggg time....

I have been getting a Kerry Collins/Jim Everett vibe from the QB position and sometimes fear a Billy Joel situation. But other than concerns about filling the defensive holes correctly in the draft, I still feel pretty good overall about the team.

This place is slipping.

Feel different about the Saints. Don’t get me wrong, I will always be a Saints fan.

But, I have lost all my confidence. I watched my team grow since 1969. I enjoyed watching my Saints play at a high level, However, now that Brees is gone, I am worried we will go back to being, “In the pack”.

I seriously doubt we will fall to the cellar. But, can we stay at the top, now that Brees is gone. I just wanted to see how others feel. I guess I worry too much.

If you've watched them since 1969, then you didn't watch them play at a high level for well over 75% of the team's history. Your hesitant attitude makes sense.

I have been getting a Kerry Collins/Jim Everett vibe from the QB position and sometimes fear a Billy Joel situation. But other than concerns about filling the defensive holes correctly in the draft, I still feel pretty good overall about the team.

Been trying to avoid those concerts myself, honestly -- not a fan.

Here's my perspective. The team should have won more championships with DB at the helm, and perhaps SP held onto Brees a year or two more than he should have. But along the way, SP managed to cover Brees's fading athleticism to squeeze another run at a championship.

Thing is, a team does not need a HOF qb to win the SB. Now, no question it doesn't hurt, but Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetleir, Trent Dilfer, etc. have won SB's. If teams don't have a competent defense and good running game they’re not winning anything. The good news is that Payton has shown that he's grown to realize that running the game and defense is imperative for success. I think Drew spoiled him, of sorts which is why the team had crappy defenses and an inconsistent running game for a few years while Payton learned to focus more on those parts of the team.

Somebody mentioned that the Saints have quality ownership, management, and a great coach who has learned from past mistakes. I could be wrong, but I don't see a bunch of 4-13 or 5-12 seasons. We may see a few .500 seasons while the team finds a consistent QB, but if the other pieces around the QB are excellent, maybe we can win a ring with a "game manager" of sorts.

Last edited:
Think of it this way:

Technically speaking, we lost drew for the better part of a season over the last two years. Two different quarterbacks went 8-1. Though they both have their strengths, neither of the two approach Brees' level of skill.

We lost Sean Payton for an entire season in 2012. Drew, at the apex of his prime, played every single game.

It wasn't pretty. Draw your own conclusions.

Think of it this way:

Technically speaking, we lost drew for the better part of a season over the last two years. Two different quarterbacks went 8-1. Though they both have their strengths, neither of the two approach Brees' level of skill.

We lost Sean Payton for an entire season in 2012. Drew, at the apex of his prime, played every single game.

Solid point and one I hadn't even thought to make when people start claiming Payton can't get improvement out of Winston or Hill.

Here's my perspective. The team should have won more championships with DB at the helm, and perhaps SP held onto Brees a year or two more than he should have. But along the way, SP managed to cover Brees's fading athleticism to squeeze another run at a championship.

Thing is, a team does not need a HOF qb to win the SB. Now, no question it doesn't hurt, but Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetleir, Trent Dilfer, etc. have won SB's. If teams don't have a competent defense and good running game they’re not winning anything. The good news is that Payton has shown that he's grown to realize that running the game and defense is imperative for success. I think Drew spoiled him, of sorts which is why the team had crappy defenses and an inconsistent running game for a few years while Payton learned to focus more on those parts of the team.

Somebody mentioned that the Saints have quality ownership, management, and a great coach who has learned from past mistakes. I could be wrong, but I don't see a bunch of 4-13 or 5-12 seasons. We may see a few .500 seasons while the team finds a consistent QB, but if the other pieces around the QB are excellent, maybe we can win a ring with a "game manager" of sorts.

Nicely put, this is kind of where I am with the team. It's not about how much we are going to miss the earlier version of Brees, it's now how much do you trust Mickey Loomis, SP, Jeff Ireland and their abilities to field a good team...

We have a top notch coach and front office, which is a far cry from the pre-Brees years. If we get competent play from the QB position, we should remain in the hunt.

We're about to see how top notch they are with Brees gone long term. I often wondered how much of SPs coaching relied on Brees and not the other way around. With or without him on the field.

We're about to see how top notch they are with Brees gone long term. I often wondered how much of SPs coaching relied on Brees and not the other way around. With or without him on the field.

I think both got better because of their relationship, but DB's physical ability started to wane, SP had progressed/matured enough as a HC to build game plans and offenses to mask Brees's deteriorating skills. I think the lack of a deep passing game was painfully evident the past 2 yrs.

Think of it this way:

You guys are in for a rude awakening. Clown me all you want but just promise me you will revisit this thread in 1-2 seasons. Drew without Payton...was saddled with the WORST defense in NFL history. Not to mention he had NO head coach. Payton without Brees had the most gratuitous schedule that anyone could ask for along with 2 capable QBs for a 9 game stretch. I am not going to go into the all of the details because I posted the specifics in another thread but anyone proclaiming 8-1! needs to re-visit those wins. I bet Patriots fans just KNEW that Bill would be just fine without Brady. So everyone proclaiming that the Saints won't miss a beat are sadly mistaken.

Last edited:
You guys are in for a rude awakening. Clown me all you want but just promise me you will revisit this thread in 1-2 seasons. Drew without Payton...was saddled with the WORST defense in NFL history. Not to mention he had NO head coach. Payton without Brees had the most gratuitous schedule that anyone could ask for along with 2 capable QBS for an 8 game stretch. I am not going to go into the all of the details because I posted the specifics in another thread but anyone proclaiming 8-1! needs to re-visit those wins. I bet Patriots fans just KNEW that Bill would be just fine without Brady. So everyone proclaiming that the Saints won't miss a beat are sadly mistaken.

I only intended to suggest that we need to look at the positives, moving forward. It wasn't intended to dismiss Drew's importance. There's no way around the fact that we got significantly worse when we lost Drew Brees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom