Saints Does anyone Else (feel different about the saints?) mod edit (1 Viewer)

I am excited this season. I think we fill in some good holes on D with "non-sexy" FA's after draft and build some future in the draft who might even contribute this season. CSP loves a challenge and he is already configuring offensive schemes for Hill and Winston as starter. He schemed for Teddy to not LOSE games and the defense played great during those 5 wins. He schemed great gameplans for Hill over his time as starter with Taysom having limited pure QB snaps in his career and not working with 1's or 2's much during the season. People forget how little true, QB only snaps he has gotten as an NFL player. Not having Brees just puts in the position to get creative and really work around what he has at QB, whoever it is. I think the D gets faster and more aggressive with less "thinking" and more of putting players in position to react/attack. I am a bit more excited for this season than the last couple.

Think of it this way:

Technically speaking, we lost drew for the better part of a season over the last two years. Two different quarterbacks went 8-1. Though they both have their strengths, neither of the two approach Brees' level of skill.

We lost Sean Payton for an entire season in 2012. Drew, at the apex of his prime, played every single game.

It wasn't pretty. Draw your own conclusions.
We're about to see how top notch they are with Brees gone long term. I often wondered how much of SPs coaching relied on Brees and not the other way around. With or without him on the field.

I think I generally feel like it’s about the player and a good coach brings the best out. But there is evidence out there that says Payton is a difference maker.

Last edited:
If Payton can get to a Super Bowl (let alone win one) with either Taysom or WInston at QB, then he enters into Belichick-ian territory as one of the best HCs in the world... that will be exciting.

If you've watched them since 1969, then you didn't watch them play at a high level for well over 75% of the team's history. Your hesitant attitude makes sense.
That is a good point. I also forgot that we had very good years, before Brees. 1987 was our first playoff appearance. Guess who beat us, in the dome.

Later in the year if we are 4 and 6 I expect the fan enthusiasm to wane.

BUT, if we are 9 and 1 well then .....

There is just as much reason to b optimistic as pessimistic. It is hard to admit but Drew was not getting it done in the end. A new QB might surprise and reignite the Offense.

I choose to be optimistic and enthusiastic come what may.

I'm as excited about this coming season than I have any season since I became a fan in 88. Win lose or Draw I am a saints fan, if we don't win or don't win enough games it still does not take away from the individuals players who perform great or young players who may become the staple players once the team starts to win again.

Post like these are so strange to me because it just sounds like people are truly fans of this team they are bandwagon fans who rooted for them because they won and its easy to get behind a winner but if the team falls back to the "same ole saints" era people will be jumping off the bandwagon where I WILL be still rooting for this team because this is MY Team.
This is the only acceptable response to a thread like this one. :sir-saint:

I have been getting a Kerry Collins/Jim Everett vibe from the QB position and sometimes fear a Billy Joel situation. But other than concerns about filling the defensive holes correctly in the draft, I still feel pretty good overall about the team.
I think you are being unfair to Billy Joel. "Only the Good Die Young" is a fine song. 😁

I have to be honest about how I feel now. After the Rams debacle two years ago, this year's mediocre Bucs suddenly becoming good enough to win the Super Bowl (even though they played like garbage in much of the playoffs), and some other 'interesting' playoff games not involving the Saints over the last couple of years, I'm having VERY real difficulty believing the NFL is even honest about who wins the Lombardi anymore. And I wonder exactly how long it's been going on.

You can call me tin foil hat man if you like, but considering the hatred Goodell has for Payton and the Saints, I just don't feel I should let myself get excited for the games (particularly the playoffs) since I know the NFL has already determined they aren't going to "pick us" to win another Lombardi.

It's really a deflating feeling. Especially since I feel like the Saints have the players to do it. But then, they had the players to do it the last three years in a row and yet through "a game of inches" (cough, cough) they didn't make it. I just feel like none of those losses were honest, so I expect more of the same no matter how good we are. :(

I've been a fan since my parents moved us to New Orleans the year Bum Philips became the head coach, but I've never had this kind of cynicism about how they'll do, even when I knew they weren't all that good.

You guys are in for a rude awakening. Clown me all you want but just promise me you will revisit this thread in 1-2 seasons. Drew without Payton...was saddled with the WORST defense in NFL history. Not to mention he had NO head coach. Payton without Brees had the most gratuitous schedule that anyone could ask for along with 2 capable QBs for a 9 game stretch. I am not going to go into the all of the details because I posted the specifics in another thread but anyone proclaiming 8-1! needs to re-visit those wins. I bet Patriots fans just KNEW that Bill would be just fine without Brady. So everyone proclaiming that the Saints won't miss a beat are sadly mistaken.

Bring on the rude awakening....I'm looking forward to seeing what SP can do with Jamies (I think he will win the starting QB competition), I think the 2021 version of Jamies has the potential to be better than the last versions of DB....I have faith that SP can bring out the best in him and I hope he heavily utilizes the running game (which I believe has been our offensive strength the last few years) to help Jamies along....we will see what happens....

Feel different about the Saints. Don’t get me wrong, I will always be a Saints fan.

But, I have lost all my confidence. I watched my team grow since 1969. I enjoyed watching my Saints play at a high level, However, now that Brees is gone, I am worried we will go back to being, “In the pack”.

I seriously doubt we will fall to the cellar. But, can we stay at the top, now that Brees is gone. I just wanted to see how others feel. I guess I worry too much.
8-1 without Brees the last two seasons.

The Saints will certainly not be the same, but the weapons that enabled the Saints to go 8-1 during those games that Brees missed is still intact. Sean has learned the lessons of his past mistakes and adjusted accordingly in preparation for Drew's absence. We saw a trial run the past couple seasons when he was hurt. Expect more focus on forcing defenses into nickel and then running the ball with the usual Sean Payton methods of using play design to pair offensive weapons in an advantageous position vs defensive counterparts. The Saints are still in position to win the division.

Depressing stat of the day.
The Saints are one of two teams in NFL history with back to back 13 win seasons without getting to the Super Bowl either year. The other are the current Packers.

It is very hard to believe that the OP could say what he said if he truly has followed the Saints since 1969.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom