Does anyone else feel that Matt Ryan will be a bust (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
For some reason, this kid just reminds me of Ryan Leaf. All the talent in the world, but doesn't make those around him better. Personally, I like Brohm much better than Ryan. I don't have really any basis for my feelings on this, just an gut reaction.

You have that feeling because he has the name "Ryan" in his name. Its not his fault, haha.

I'd agree. Having that high of an INT total in college is a bit of a red flag. I honestly believe he's rated so high b/c of the fact that the draft is a bit shallow in QB talent and that there's more than a handful of teams in bad shape at the position.

He was throwing to Boston College recievers and is now considered a top 5 pick. Of course he makes those around him better.
He shows brilliant accuracy and touch when he throws. He needs to work on his deep ball, I don't have stats but that seems to be where the majority of his interceptions come from. Of course again a big factor in that is that he was throwing to a 5-8 and 5-10 players as his 1 and 2 WRs.

It will depend on what coach he gets, but I think he is a very solid player who would excel in an offense that establishes the intermidiate pass, and how he works on his deep balls.. JMO

Of course if this was, say, last year's QB class, he is a late 2nd rounder tops. It's just this year has maybe one of the worst QB free agent pools, and then follows with one of the worst QB draft classes. It's a bad year to need one.

I can't say if he will be or not, but he's the only one who has a chance to make it. This is the worst QB class that I can remember for a LONG time.

While I don't think he's going to be a total bust, there is definitely some concern that he won't ever be a top 5-10 QB. He has some Joey Harrington potential...the guy who was picked too high because of need but is just good enough to find playing time for someone every year. He played with nobody in college, but he is also not very mobile and prone to making poor decisions despite the fact that everyone says how intellingent the guy is. I don't think the guy will ever be Peyton Manning, but I think his ceiling is Eli or Phil Rivers and his floor is Joey Harrington.

I can't say if he will be or not, but he's the only one who has a chance to make it. This is the worst QB class that I can remember for a LONG time.

It may be poor up top but it is tremendously deep in the 2-5 rounds. A lot of good backup guys in this draft instead of starters though, so you are correct in that assessment. Last year you had Russell, Quinn, Beck, Kolb, Edwards...this year it's Ryan, Flacco, Brohm, Henne, Booty, Ainge, Brennan. I'll take Russell over Ryan and all of them, but Flacco, Brohm, Henne, Booty may be better in the long run than Quinn, Beck, Kolb, Edwards. Either way, both drafts lack a true star other than Russell.

Nope, your not the only one. I think that The Tuna knows better than to take him 1st. Hopefully the clowns will get him at 3. People talk about the poor quality of his receivers, but what about the quality of the defense he goes up against?

I think Henne will make the best pro outa all the QB's in this draft.

I've seen an lot of Ryan last year, and can declare I'm not in love with drafting him as projected. I think he'll be fine, but at what cost? I'd prefer to get another player of need, then make a move for someone like Henne. I think Ryan is too strong-willed and focused to be a bust, but don't hold your breath wondering when he'll outgrow those occasional bone-headed tosses. Favre never did.

I think Rayn is a great prospect. I watched alot (actually all his games) and he just makes plays at the right time. For the most part, he grew as a QB where as Brohm digressed and has injury concerns. I thought Ryan was the BC team this year, and he had to endure a coaching change O'brein left and Jagazinski came in and Ryan kept progressing. I think he has a great arm, and smart and makes good plays especially when its crunch time. BC was not littered with talent this year, but still had a damn good season and it was probably 80 percent Ryan. I don't think of him as an Elite elite prospect, Like I thought of Eli, or Jamarcus because those guys mesurables were off the charts IMO. But I think Ryan is certainly on the Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Brady Quinn level IMO and if teams are willing to make them first overalls and build teams around these guys. I think Ryan can be held in the same breath, his sucess will be determind by alot of things, as any NFL players is so how he progresses depends alot on the system he will go to the coaching he receives and the players around him. But he sure has all the thing thats you look for in a franchise QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom