Does anyone else think the time management was odd at the end? (1 Viewer)

darkhornet

LSU Grad '02
Reaction score
While ultimately, it wasn't the deciding factor in the game, did anyone else think we were being way too laid back in running the offense on that last drive? I felt we took way too much time before the two minute warning, especially considering we hadn't crossed mid-field. I assume the play calling was because we figured we could pick up a big play at some point (and we almost did on two occasions), but I felt the slow clock management early in the drive put way too much pressure on the team later in that drive.

I was especially surpised to see the draw play called after the two-minute warning.

Of course, if Copper doesn't fumble the football, we may score and all is forgiven, but I would have been much happier to see them pick up 10 to 15 yards a play, or get out of bounds on 5 yard gains earlier in the drive.

Am I crazy?

Last edited:
We were playing for overtime, and I believe it would've worked sans the Copper fumble.

No, dude you're not crazy. Agree with you - burned too much time at the end and barely made it across the 50. Bit us in the end, had to hurry and didn't play as tight. Better luck next time.

We were playing for overtime, and I believe it would've worked sans the Copper fumble.

I figured we were playing for overtime as well when the drive started, but I just would have liked to see them get to midfield before they started trying to drain the clock.

This is the first time I've ever questioned Payton's time management, but I thought they should have played a little faster paced until we got into scoring range.

well it worked, we got all the way down to the 15 (then we fumbled) Payton had a plan and he calls a good game, he has all year, there were some questionable calls (lack of running) but you cant really argue with the result, he see's what we dont see, he knows what we dont know.

I don't know, I kind of feel it was the right thing. You want to score, but you do not want to give Pitt the ball with time left. All they needed was a field goal if we scored, & with Carney's short kickoffs, one or two passes gets you into FG range. So, no I don't think it was strange. I actually thought it was the right approach.

I totally do not agree we were almost perfect with clock management at the end if copper makes the catch we are in perfect position to score with NO or little time left for a comeback. If copper makes the first catch or does not fumble we're in great shape

well it worked, we got all the way down to the 15 (then we fumbled) Payton had a plan and he calls a good game, he has all year, there were some questionable calls (lack of running) but you cant really argue with the result, he see's what we dont see, he knows what we dont know.

I don't know, I kind of feel it was the right thing. You want to score, but you do not want to give Pitt the ball with time left. All they needed was a field goal if we scored, & with Carney's short kickoffs, one or two passes gets you into FG range. So, no I don't think it was strange. I actually thought it was the right approach.

I'm not questioning the decision to burn some clock before scoring, but I felt like we should have been to the 30 before we start taking most of the playclock to run a play. If were at the 30 with 4:00 to go, then you start running draw plays and taking the whole play clock down. I thought the decision to run it under a minute with only one time out at the 45 forced us into looking for a big play that the Steelers were playing against.

I totally do not agree we were almost perfect with clock management at the end if copper makes the catch we are in perfect position to score with NO or little time left for a comeback. If copper makes the first catch or does not fumble we're in great shape

+1

and the 12 characters

I agree. At first I thought they were a little lax but the plan worked. We should have had it at the 15 with time for several shots at the endzone with very little time left for a response. If Copper had hung on to it I have a feeling we would have gone into overtime. Then the toss of the coin probably would have decided the winner.

I thought it was a properly run 2 minute drill. Copper holds on to the ball and we are sitting right in scoring position.

Yes I was getting a little antsy at the time that was used in the first part of the drive. But as others have pointed out, without the fumble it would have been a perfect drive to score and drain the clock. I guess we as fans are always a little more anxious than than the players and coaches.

I agree. At first I thought they were a little lax but the plan worked. We should have had it at the 15 with time for several shots at the endzone with very little time left for a response. If Copper had hung on to it I have a feeling we would have gone into overtime. Then the toss of the coin probably would have decided the winner.
Say what you will. I knew that Payton had to be counting on the big play. I just think that put too much pressure on the offense at that point when it wasn't necessary. It wasn't the worst two minute offense I've ever seen by any stretch, just thought it was a little strange that we'd voluntarily put that much pressure on our offense when we started the drive with all the time in the world.

No, dude you're not crazy. Agree with you - burned too much time at the end and barely made it across the 50. Bit us in the end, had to hurry and didn't play as tight. Better luck next time.

They were trying to score and leave no time for Pitt to respond.

It was working.

If Copper hold on we have the ball around the 20 with 4 shots at the end zone.

I liked our chances to tie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom