Does anyone else's broadcast of the TB/NYG game look "weird"? (1 Viewer)

I have a 32 inch in one room and it looks good. On my 48 inch it looks bad.

A call to Fox 8, WVUE netted a full mailbox and a busy signal.

The only people you'll find in a TV station on a Sunday are the weekend news crew and maybe a cranky guy in master control who's bitter about having to work on a Sunday afternoon, and that's only if the station hasn't automated or outsourced their master control.

Which I believe WVUE has.

Good, cause I was just about to call Dish Network and complain, glad it's not just me.

Yes!!! The camera looked like it was slowing the game down. Bad feed or technical difficulties.

It wasn't just regular standard def problems with an HDTV.

Something was wrong with FOX.

I think I can tell you what's going on here. Someone at the network had a brainstorm that an NFL game would look "cool" if they used camera settings and angles that are usually used in a narrative movie. In a movie, we are used to seeing close-ups and shots that stretch or skew perspective for dramatic effect. You usually only see football with these effects when it's an NFL Films special or something, with slow motion etc. The guy who came up with this idea
could not possibly been a true sports fan. The reason these effects don't "feel right" is that we sports fans are watching with our "game eyes" on, trying to instinctively judge angles and distance as action occurs. Using these dramatic camera effects looks "pretty" and "cool", but it throws off our ability to correctly perceive the moment to moment action of the game.
Whoever this stooge is, he obviously is paying more attention to how pretty the uniforms are and how cool it looks when the players are contrasted with the background with a telephoto lens. I'm very open-minded about media coverage, but this just doesn't work.

By the way, does anyone else remember the experiment back in the late seventies, where an NFL game was broadcast with no announcers, just the crowd noise? That was a big success too!!! LOL

It was a terrible picture in Standard Definition, but the HD signal was just fine. As I switched back and forth between the two, it looked to me like it was a camera focused on a monitor that was broadcasting the HD signal and not the original signal. I'm not saying that's what it was, but it looked like the same type of display you get when you see a youtube video where someone used a video camera to tape what was on TV.

By the way, does anyone else remember the experiment back in the late seventies, where an NFL game was broadcast with no announcers, just the crowd noise? That was a big success too!!! LOL

IIRC, they used to do that with the Hall of Fame game for several years.

the picture sucked, it gave me a headache watching it, i turned it off
two bad teams anyway no point in watching
i know someone is going to say " oh its a team from our division so it means something..." NO it doesnt its not us so who cares

That was an NBC broadcast of a Jets/Dolphins game in 1981 or 1982. They talk about it on the show, "Replay! The history of the NFL on television" from a few years ago.

It looked like an HD broadcast that was being viewed on a non HD system.

It's very similar to watching the HD feed on NFL sunday ticket on an analog television.

It wasn't effects or anything like that.

I'm pretty sure they were high speed cameras, for smoother replays.
You also have to drop frames on the live feed to match the format you are delivering.
The latter can cause much of what's described above.
A jittery effect similar to waving your hand in front of a 60hz screen is my biggest gripe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom