Does anyone have Charter? (1 Viewer)

Bongi

LSU Tiger 4 Life
Reaction score
My wife and I live on the Northshore and the only options we have for cable service are Charter, DirectTV, and Dish Network. We would love to get rid of satellite and go back to cable service. Would it be a good move to move from DirectTV to Charter?

So you're telling me that a kick in the nuts is more satisfying to you than just being slapped around. Because that's the difference between them.

Oh, and you don't get Sunday Ticket on Charter.

I have had charter for 7 years now and I would recommend you keep Direct TV. Charter is only slightly better than Comcast.

I just got rid of charter for Direct TV, should have done it a while back. No Sunday Ticket, not as much HD, CRAPPY customer service, and the kick in the nuts isn't fun either.

Get Directv, more HD about 60 channels or so more, Sunday Ticket, now they have On Demand, I don't think you can go wrong, I'm also a charter customer for the internet, their cable is awful, they don't have CST still...Directv could possibly have CST soon especially if no deal with Charter is reached with this next go around of negotiations.

Thanks for your advice. I guess we will be sticking with Direct TV.

Thanks for your advice. I guess we will be sticking with Direct TV.

Bongi:

In my opinion, Charter is a bush-league joke. I dumped them five years ago and went with Direct TV. You can't even compare the two. Personally, I would never consider having cable again. Direct TV is that much better in my application. I live in a rural area and Charter's equiptment and transmission lines are very sub-standard.

Joe

I've had Direct tv for 3 years. I only wish they could offer some sort of bundled package for ISP / Phone

I am in Houma for Mardi Gras and we are going to my wife's friends house in Walker and she says that they cannot get charter cable or internet. Got Satellite and it costs a fortune to get online. Anything else in that area for her friend? She says it costs a pretty penny if she gets online like 5 dollars for 10 minutes of time online???
Any help here would be appreciated.
AP

I'm adding to this thread to vent.:rant:

I'm in the Picayune, MS area and I'm really getting fed up with Charter's "High Speed" Internet access. My service was out yesterday from 3:00 pm onward and didn't clear up completely until after lunch today.

"Cannot Display This Page
- You might not be connected to the Internet."

Releasing and renewing the IP, rebooting, powering down and powering up the modem...yeah, I tried it all. All it did was change the message...

"The website GOOGLE.COM does not exist."

Calls to the 24/7 800 customer service number got me routed to a recording said that said based on my phone number they were aware of a problem in my area and not to call them back for a day or two. :angryrazz:

This isn't the first time. In the past month, I've had several two-day outages. Once, I called customer service and actually got through to a real human being! He was at a call center in Minnesota, contracted by Charter, not a Charter employee.

Oh, but I didn't get the live human being until jumping through 20 minutes of prerecorded instructions. Each question required a verbal "Yes" or "No" answer or reciting my phone number so the auto-answer could check my records.

"Is your computer connected to your modem? Say 'yes' if it is. Say 'no' if it is not.

I'm sorry. I could not understand you. Please say 'yes' if your computer is connected to your modem. Say 'no' if it is not."

By the time I got to the live person, I was expecting some form of diagnostic. Nope. He tried to ping my router and got nothing. Then, he had me shut down my computer, unplug my modem, plug the modem back in, wait for the READY light to come on, then reboot my computer and try again.

I just went ahead did what he said. I didn't tell him I'd done exactly the same thing at least five times before I ever called Customer Service.

"Oh, there's a problem in your area and we are attempting to resolve it. You'll have to try it again tomorrow," he said.

Yeah. I know.

DSL might be a possibility. Wifey and I have AT&T DSL at my home of record back in Alexandria and although it has its outages occasionally, it's nothing like the lengthy outages I'm having here with Charter.

When their commercials come on TV about how fast their Internet service is, I have to fight down the urge to throw something at the TV.

OK, I hit the Submit Reply button just now and got the "Cannot Display Webpage" message again. Good thing I copied this response for pasting later. :jpshakehead:

i really havent had any issues with charters internet. directv's hunk of junk hd dvr is another issue though. before next basketball season i will switch back to Dish network since they have cst.

Dad's, I hear you on your problem with Charter internet. We had it and it went out all the time and customer service was terrible. Still have Charter cable though I am about to look into DirecTv and Dish. One time our cable and internet were out and my wife called to complain and while on the phone the representative tried to sell her Charter's phone service. She told the person "do you realize that if I had your phone service I wouldn't be able to call you to tell you it was out."

Solution found!

After eight months of Charter working just fine with McAfee Security Center, they now do not play well together.

Yep, McAfee did an update last week which is incompatable with Charter. It was completely shutting down the DNS.

Thank goodness that after 10 minutes of saying "Yes" and "No" to the automated Charter Customer Service line, I finally got a live person to tell me that. Sheeesh!

I'm in the Picayune, MS area

I think I may have spotted your problem.
When I was in college I dated a girl that lived near McNeil. One night as I was driving to her house, I took a wrong turn and narrowly missed driving off the edge of the Earth, my two front wheels were hanging off. Fortunately I was able to gently put it in reverse and get back on the road and back to her house.:hihi:

It is funny you mentioned Charter because I have had them for about 1 1/2 years and I will be quitting their service tomorrow. The cable TV part has been alright, but the internet service has been terrible. My internet is always going out and the customer service is outsourced to India and all you get from them is to unplug your cable modem and plug it back in and if that doesn't work, they will schedule an appointment in about a week. The internet has been intermittingly going on and off for about a week this time & I just received an automated call today that the service will be interrupted for maintenance in my area. I guess the Charter service is at least consistent in being inconsistent even here in Alabama.

Well so much for the rant, see below:

So you're telling me that a kick in the nuts is more satisfying to you than just being slapped around. Because that's the difference between them.

Oh, and you don't get Sunday Ticket on Charter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom