does anyone here know anybody who has hyperactive thyroidism (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
For several years now, I've suspected that I may have a thyroid problem but could never be too sure about it. I have had some problems with insomnia, feeling very stressed out all the time, and suffering from high bouts of anxiety and showing brief bouts of irritable behavior from time to time. Plus a few other symptoms associated with it I've gathered from actual research

I'm thinking about going to get checked on it, and I wanted some input on the procedures that are available if I do have a thyroid problem, the best ways to treat it. I have heard of possibly removing the thyroid itself at some point, though,admittedly it's not a concrete option I want to go with now at the moment.

If anyone on Sr.com has had a history of this, I'm open to hearing any suggestions on identifying it firstly, and then the best way to treat it or remove it if it becomes a more severe problem later on.

I appreciate your time and opinions. Thank you and have a Good night.

I have the exact opposite condition, as I have hypothyroidism. Just go to the doctor and they will give you a thyroid pill (that you will have to take for the rest of your life (No, I'm not kidding about the rest of your life part)).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I seriously doubt you would have to get your thyroid removed. I also forgot to mention, my mother has hyperthyroidism and she takes a pill for that too. It's kinda weird how me, and my mother, are on the opposite ends of the thyroid spectrum.

Last edited:
For several years now, I've suspected that I may have a thyroid problem but could never be too sure about it. I have had some problems with insomnia, feeling very stressed out all the time, and suffering from high bouts of anxiety and showing brief bouts of irritable behavior from time to time. Plus a few other symptoms associated with it I've gathered from actual research

I'm thinking about going to get checked on it, and I wanted some input on the procedures that are available if I do have a thyroid problem, the best ways to treat it. I have heard of possibly removing the thyroid itself at some point, though,admittedly it's not a concrete option I want to go with now at the moment.

If anyone on Sr.com has had a history of this, I'm open to hearing any suggestions on identifying it firstly, and then the best way to treat it or remove it if it becomes a more severe problem later on.

I appreciate your time and opinions. Thank you and have a Good night.

There are several pathologies concerning hyper and hypothyroidism. The treatment will depend on the exact condition, for example you may have no problems with the actual thyroid itself, but it could be a pituitary problem or it maybe just a deficiency in iodine, which is rare in the US, but does happen.

Get the exact diagnosis first, before worrying about procedures/treatments, and prognosis.

my neighbor has this condition and she takes medication for it...... when she first developed it she lost like 30 pounds. she was very petite to begin which made her look like a scarecrow for a few weeks.

I had a high level for thyroid on one of my blood tests last year. I went in and had another with the same result.
They sent me to an endocrinologist and he had them do a more specific test and it came back with just about the same. The results were slightly elevated at best. I was and am not showing any symptoms and was not concerned about it.
He had me in for a more thorough exam and told me to bring in all the medications that I took. I take zero med's. No vitamins, nada. I even explained that I have MS and that they were going to put me on beta-interferon at one time and I asked what the side effects were and they told me that I would feel flu like. I asked how often I would have to take this and they said indefinetely. So, I would feel flu like indefinetely? I opted out.
Any way the doctor tells me that he would like to do a nuclear scan of my thyroid. I asked what that involved. He said that he would inject a small bit of some nuclear material into my thyroid via my neck.
I asked him if he noticed how many medications I had brought in and he acknowledged. I told him that I didn't think I was going to get any nuclear injections into my neck and asked him what was Plan B.
He said I could get another blood test in 6 months and I let him know that would be my play.
He did say that if it was a thyroid disorder that it can be controlled with a daily pill.
Now, I have no symptoms but if I did, I would opt for the med's, after finding out the side-effects, etc.

For several years now, I've suspected that I may have a thyroid problem but could never be too sure about it. I have had some problems with insomnia, feeling very stressed out all the time, and suffering from high bouts of anxiety and showing brief bouts of irritable behavior from time to time..

well,if you don't get proper rest..of course you will be irratable at times. my wife was having the same problems that your having..this dates back to late summer.

when she went in for blood work,they discovered a thryroid problem...she's doing fine now..taking Levothyroxin (pill) once every morning.

I had a high level for thyroid on one of my blood tests last year. I went in and had another with the same result.
They sent me to an endocrinologist and he had them do a more specific test and it came back with just about the same. The results were slightly elevated at best. I was and am not showing any symptoms and was not concerned about it.
He had me in for a more thorough exam and told me to bring in all the medications that I took. I take zero med's. No vitamins, nada. I even explained that I have MS and that they were going to put me on beta-interferon at one time and I asked what the side effects were and they told me that I would feel flu like. I asked how often I would have to take this and they said indefinetely. So, I would feel flu like indefinetely? I opted out.
Any way the doctor tells me that he would like to do a nuclear scan of my thyroid. I asked what that involved. He said that he would inject a small bit of some nuclear material into my thyroid via my neck.
I asked him if he noticed how many medications I had brought in and he acknowledged. I told him that I didn't think I was going to get any nuclear injections into my neck and asked him what was Plan B.
He said I could get another blood test in 6 months and I let him know that would be my play.
He did say that if it was a thyroid disorder that it can be controlled with a daily pill.
Now, I have no symptoms but if I did, I would opt for the med's, after finding out the side-effects, etc.

That's weird. I take a pill everyday and I don't feel any adverse side-effects.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom